sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 20, 2021 11:25 am  #2

Re: Mike Richards OUT as Jeopardy host

But it appears that he remains as the Exec Pro...   just my opinion, but I think that the damage has been done, and he is "tainted goods"...

Last edited by Glen Warren (August 20, 2021 1:20 pm)

August 20, 2021 11:31 am  #3

betaylored wrote:

any guesses who gets the gig?

They should give it to Eugene Levy as Alex Trebel! Almost as good as the real thing.

(This remains my all time favourite SCTV sketch.)

August 20, 2021 11:41 am  #4

Here's who Alex Trebek himself suggested succeed him. Neither was considered or got an audition, probably because they're not well enough known. 

August 20, 2021 12:48 pm  #5

Yay, made my day!  

Alex, I'll take "Hosts Who Aren't Dickheads" for $2,000.

Jeopardy "GOAT" Ken Jennings, Levar Burton, Mayim Bialik would all be fine.  Burton was not the best but he's a professional and I'm sure could improve.

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (August 20, 2021 12:49 pm)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

August 20, 2021 12:52 pm  #6

I vote for THIS Mike Richards.

[img]https://www.tsn.ca/polopoly_fs/1.217621!/fileimage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/richards-road-trips.jpg[/img]

August 20, 2021 2:02 pm  #7

Variety has this rather scathing assessment of Richards and the damage he's done to a show that always had such a good vibe going for it.

The article does not mince words. 

"Fan favorites among potential hosts tended to be more obviously cerebral than Richards, and to connect more with contestants. What Richards seemed to see in “Jeopardy,” a show he already ran, was an opportunity to put himself on camera above all else."

The Rise and Swift Fall of ‘Jeopardy’ Host Mike Richards

August 20, 2021 3:31 pm  #8

Ryan Reynolds just sent out a tweet how everyone wanted him to star in the movie Deadpool, but the studio couldn't see him in the role for the longest time. In typical R.R. fashion, he ends the tweet with " Hi @LeVarBurton "
What a great guy, supporting another great guy.

You'd almost be forgiven for thinking this whole Mike Richards scandal was a bit of a red herring? and that they had LeVar Burton in mind all along.

Because otherwise, why are they letting Mike Richards remain as E.P. He's still guilty of unpleasant, inappropriate behavior. A skeevy E.P. is just as uncool as a skeevy host.

August 20, 2021 3:32 pm  #9

AspectRatio wrote:

I vote for THIS Mike Richards.

[img]https://www.tsn.ca/polopoly_fs/1.217621!/fileimage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/richards-road-trips.jpg[/img]

Got a lot of time for this Mike Richards.

August 20, 2021 4:17 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

betaylored wrote:

any guesses who gets the gig?

They should give it to Eugene Levy as Alex Trebel! Almost as good as the real thing.

(This remains my all time favourite SCTV sketch.)

This was brilliant, thanks RA
imagine all the movies John Candy could have (hopefully) made if he was still with us.

Eugene Levy IS fabulous and spot on A.T.

Joe Flattery (sp?) deserved a better character to work with. It's all very Python-ish.

August 20, 2021 4:22 pm  #11

It is going to be a cause of concern for Jeopardy and Sony Pictures Television going forward...   Can they actually go back to the narrow list of candidates and offer them the job?... 

basically "Well, we all know that you were not our first choice, and ya, things didn't quite work out with our first decision, but, well here we are now....  so, what do you say, how 'bout it?"

And what would the working relationship be between a new choice for host and Richards as EP ?

I'm pretty sure that there are already lawyers working, er, reviewing the terms of Richards hire/contract as EP of Jeopardy...

August 20, 2021 4:40 pm  #12

That's if you assume the whole thing about the guest hosts wasn't all a publicity stunt and they had settled on Richards as the new emcee before the parade of faces even started. 

August 20, 2021 4:57 pm  #13

Can't stop imagining Jeff Goldblum as Jeopardy host. And Eugene Levy. As Eugene Levy tho.

God I miss hockey.

August 20, 2021 5:02 pm  #14

Don't think so...  They had some very well regarded, and respected individuals audition for the host position. 
People would have had to be in on it...  And would some of those well respected individuals want to be associated with a farce?

August 20, 2021 5:29 pm  #15

Believe Richards, as Glen Warren hints, will be completely gone, quite possibly within days.

Think Mayim will be fun in her announced role

Thought following his first night that Jennings was their guy. Still think he's the natural choice.

Did not like LeVar Burton. Way over the top.

In addition to Jennings, did like Aaron Rodgers (he really surprised me), Buzzy Cohen (didn't know who
he was but really liked him...different from the rest), Savannah Guthrie (down-to-earth), Dr. Gupta, David
Faber and Joe Buck.

Some of these, we know, have better gigs. Among the rest, there's got to be a winner.

To start the guest host routine again is a mistake, one that was already on a bus to nowhere.

August 20, 2021 6:44 pm  #16

Can't wait to see how they spin the disclaimer at the start of the episodes he's already shot, which are still going to air. Because it's a game show with continuing contestants, there's no way they could legally have done them over, so they'll be on as scheduled in the fall. 

August 20, 2021 7:53 pm  #17

Here's the original story that started all this controversy and led to his ouster. 

“A Smile With Sharp Teeth”: Mike Richards’s Rise to ‘Jeopardy!’ Host Sparks Questions About His Past

August 20, 2021 10:40 pm  #18

mike marshall wrote:

Believe Richards, as Glen Warren hints, will be completely gone, quite possibly within days.

Thought following his first night that Jennings was their guy. Still think he's the natural choice.

In addition to Jennings, did like Aaron Rodgers (he really surprised me), Buzzy Cohen (didn't know who
he was but really liked him...different from the rest), Savannah Guthrie (down-to-earth), Dr. Gupta, David
Faber and Joe Buck.

Some of these, we know, have better gigs. Among the rest, there's got to be a winner.

To start the guest host routine again is a mistake, one that was already on a bus to nowhere.

Buzzy was a 9-day champion in 2016 and winner of the 2017 Tournament of Champions.

August 20, 2021 11:21 pm  #19

MJ Vancouver wrote:

mike marshall wrote:

Faber and Joe Buck.

Buzzy was a 9-day champion in 2016 and winner of the 2017 Tournament of Champions.

Yes. We had to look him up after his first night of hosting. Thanks.

Last edited by mike marshall (August 20, 2021 11:22 pm)

August 21, 2021 7:50 am  #20

Didn't see them all, but I thought Anderson Cooper did a good job.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 21, 2021 6:11 pm  #21

Dale Patterson wrote:

Didn't see them all, but I thought Anderson Cooper did a good job.

My favourites, in no particular order were Anderson Cooper, Ken Jennings, Buzzy Cohen, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Buck, David Faber, and Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

Unfortunately Anderson would’ve been a controversial choice for permanent host for some, as to them he’s associated with “fake news CNN”. Same with Dr. Gupta.

August 21, 2021 6:44 pm  #22

Doubt the folks who think Anderson Cooper, Sanjay Gupta & CNN are "fake news" are a significant part of the Jeopardy viewing audience.

August 22, 2021 9:18 pm  #23

g121 wrote:

Doubt the folks who think Anderson Cooper, Sanjay Gupta & CNN are "fake news" are a significant part of the Jeopardy viewing audience.

You’re probably right, though Jeopardy’s Facebook page had a lot of complaints the week Anderson guest-hosted. Not clear if these were actual Jeopardy fans or trolls.

August 23, 2021 1:30 pm  #24

Welllll...where have we heard *that* name before!?

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/jeopardy-host-gig-reportedly-now-122320845.html

August 23, 2021 5:08 pm  #25

mike marshall wrote:

Welllll...where have we heard *that* name before!?

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/jeopardy-host-gig-reportedly-now-122320845.html

And yet, it turns out it's not him - at least for now. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who they picked. But it might take a neuroscientist!

Jeopardy! Taps Mayim Bialik to Replace Mike Richards as Host for 3 Weeks

August 23, 2021 5:41 pm  #26

During the open of John Oliver's HBO show "Last Week Tonight" Sunday evening, he refers to Mike Richards as "this smirking golf bag"...   

August 23, 2021 8:46 pm  #27

I'd heard of but never actually got to see that Jackie Gleason disaster referred to as #8 in the story. But of course, it's turned up on YouTube and it's probably the only time a superstar has ever apologized for a TV show on network television. It was definitely a bizarre and historic moment. (It's the second half hour in the video, with the first 30 minutes showing Gleason's nightmarish appearance as host of the ill-fated program.)

The Shortest TV Hosting Stints in History, From Kris Jenner to Mike Richards

August 23, 2021 10:18 pm  #28

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/mayim-bialik-jeopardy-guest-host-1235001622/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The former big bang theory star, who some consider an odd duck, steps up to guest host.

August 23, 2021 10:27 pm  #29

What happens to the week's worth of shows that Richards did?

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

August 23, 2021 10:31 pm  #30

https://www.babygaga.com/20-times-we-questioned-mayim-bialiks-parenting-methods/

Mayim's like licorice, people either like her or...not so much. She's made headlines in the media and waves in social media for her extreme parenting choices, including diaper less potty training, breast feeding until the child was four years old... here's a bit more about the Jeopardy guest host.

Is it the Big Bang Theory angle that got her the gig? Is she willing to work for less money because of the loot the  BBT cast made during the run of the show?

And will her controversial parenting choices sit well with advertisers.

Last edited by betaylored (August 23, 2021 10:33 pm)