sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 11, 2021 6:35 am  #1

The Olympics TV ratings held their own

According to the CBC website, the ratings for digital viewers were quite impressive and 3 in 4 Canadians were tuning in on ther TV side.

Summer is a slow viewing time, and imagine people tuned in just because it was the best thing on air, in case you don't watch the Partridge Family re-runs on CHCH...

Now, CBC is reporting on itself, but still in a games that lacked fans and that extra "energy" that fans bring to it...these ratings aren't half bad.

I think it helped that the Canadian team had their highest medal count and some key Gold medals to be proud of too!

Here is the report...

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/cbc-tokyo-olympics-ratings-1.6135953

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

August 11, 2021 7:30 am  #2

Re: The Olympics TV ratings held their own

I watched a fair amount .. both online & TV .. mostly races (swimming & running).

Some online friends in the USA really appreciated the CBC online feeds of every event thru their VPN.

August 11, 2021 8:16 am  #3

NBC wasn't quite as happy with their numbers, which is surprising considering the pandemic-starved sports fan was deprived of so many games during the pandemic. 

Tokyo Olympics were a ratings disappointment for NBC

August 11, 2021 10:30 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

NBC wasn't quite as happy with their numbers, which is surprising considering the pandemic-starved sports fan was deprived of so many games during the pandemic. 

It is a shame if some of NBC's ratings decline was for political reasons which some of the comments after the article imply.  I think CBC and NBC did a good job.  Their coverage is different, NBC's generally more pre-produced and slicker, CBC's more live and varied in the events covered. Both networks had excellent commentators for the different events in my opinion.  The opening and closing ceremonies were a bit of a disappointment which had nothing to do with the networks.  CBC had decent ratings as mentioned above and it certainly helps when the Canadian team does well, which they certainly did.  

I also like the way that CBC's coverage is shared with TSN and Sportsnet which is fantastic for the viewer.  Sometimes TSN would have two different events on their channels, Sportsnet a couple on SN 1 or 2 and CBC would feature something else. And the cross promotion mostly on CBC was handy as well, with graphics telling you what was coming up on both TSN and Sportsnet and what was currently happening on all of the networks.  

Looking forward to the winter games in six months.  It will be interesting to see if any countries decide not to participate in China, and if COVID will be a factor, or if the games will need to be postponed.  Finally a big tip of the hat to Japan for pulling off the games against all odds and getting the job done.  It is a shame that Tokyo and Japan are losing billions staging the event, largely because of COVID and the lack of ticket sales.  Nice to see Japan do  well winning so many medals, they certainly deserved it.  

Hey Muffaraw Joe....good to hear from you again!!! Hope you are enjoying your summer.

August 11, 2021 11:00 am  #5

I've found in the past that, especially when it comes to the U.S., Olympics that are held overseas in different time zones - especially when it's daytime there and the middle of the night here - often have lower ratings. I think many in North America, and specifically in the United States, tend to want to watch live at a time convenient for them, not on a replay. Especially when the results are already known and publicized. 

August 11, 2021 9:59 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

It is a shame if some of NBC's ratings decline was for political reasons which some of the comments after the article imply.  I think CBC and NBC did a good job.  Their coverage is different, NBC's generally more pre-produced and slicker, CBC's more live and varied in the events covered. Both networks had excellent commentators for the different events in my opinion.  The opening and closing ceremonies were a bit of a disappointment which had nothing to do with the networks.  CBC had decent ratings as mentioned above and it certainly helps when the Canadian team does well, which they certainly did.  

I also like the way that CBC's coverage is shared with TSN and Sportsnet which is fantastic for the viewer.  Sometimes TSN would have two different events on their channels, Sportsnet a couple on SN 1 or 2 and CBC would feature something else. And the cross promotion mostly on CBC was handy as well, with graphics telling you what was coming up on both TSN and Sportsnet and what was currently happening on all of the networks.  

Looking forward to the winter games in six months.  It will be interesting to see if any countries decide not to participate in China, and if COVID will be a factor, or if the games will need to be postponed.  Finally a big tip of the hat to Japan for pulling off the games against all odds and getting the job done.  It is a shame that Tokyo and Japan are losing billions staging the event, largely because of COVID and the lack of ticket sales.  Nice to see Japan do  well winning so many medals, they certainly deserved it.  

Hey Muffaraw Joe....good to hear from you again!!! Hope you are enjoying your summer.

CBC also did a good job with alerts.  If you had their Olympic app you'd get a notification about 90 seconds before a Canadian medal contender was about to compete.