sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 27, 2021 9:45 am  #1

I'm A Fat Boy Now And I Can Climb A Tree

This story is not broadcast related but is very important.  100 years ago today, insulin was discovered by Frederick Banting and Charles Best at the University of Toronto.

One of the first people who received an insulin shot was five year old Teddy Ryder from New Jersey.  Teddy was only 26 pounds when he travelled on the train to Toronto with his mother and likely only had a few weeks to live.  Teddy went on to live for 71 more years.

If you ever get the chance to see the TV movie Glory Enough for All which came out in 1988 watch it.  A great drama that follows the journey by Banting and Best leading to the medical miracle that was insulin. 

CP 24 did a story marking the 100th earlier, it will be interesting to see how the media covers it today.  

More on the discovery of insulin on this day in 1921 from the U of T.
https://insulin100.utoronto.ca/

Last edited by paterson1 (July 27, 2021 10:11 am)

July 27, 2021 10:38 pm  #2

Re: I'm A Fat Boy Now And I Can Climb A Tree

paterson1 wrote:

This story is not broadcast related but is very important.  100 years ago today, insulin was discovered by Frederick Banting and Charles Best at the University of Toronto.

One of the first people who received an insulin shot was five year old Teddy Ryder from New Jersey.  Teddy was only 26 pounds when he travelled on the train to Toronto with his mother and likely only had a few weeks to live.  Teddy went on to live for 71 more years.

If you ever get the chance to see the TV movie Glory Enough for All which came out in 1988 watch it.  A great drama that follows the journey by Banting and Best leading to the medical miracle that was insulin. 

CP 24 did a story marking the 100th earlier, it will be interesting to see how the media covers it today.  

More on the discovery of insulin on this day in 1921 from the U of T.
https://insulin100.utoronto.ca/

I read a tweet today from a diabetic woman who was honoring the anniversary of the discovery, and she noted that the inventors sacrificed profit, and deliberately arranged for insulin to be priced so everyone could afford it, and she said that a single vial of insulin costs over $300.00 in the U.S. where she lives, and that vial only lasts her about a week.

Last edited by betaylored (July 27, 2021 10:39 pm)