sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 26, 2021 9:05 am  #1

The Day Bob McAdorey Went Back To His First Station - CKSL London

Both are long gone, but in 1981, while working for Global News, legendary Toronto broadcaster Bob McAdorey paid a visit to CKSL London, the first station he ever worked at. At the time, it was celebrating its 25th anniversary. 

There are a few things in the video that struck me - the idea that back in 1981, the place still had what now looks like an ancient McCurdy board in the control room (those things truly were indestructible) and the fact that in replaying one of Bob's first live commercials in 1956, he indicates the station was at 1290 - where one time arch-rival CJBK currently resides.

All in all, good to see and hear both of them again, if only for a few minutes. 

July 26, 2021 9:17 am  #2

Re: The Day Bob McAdorey Went Back To His First Station - CKSL London

Yes, CKSL was originally on 1290 and moved up the dial to 1410 in 1964. London businessman Joe McManus started his own station in 1967 at 1290 and called it CJOE. It morphed into CJBK with an ownership change in 1972. 

July 26, 2021 10:02 am  #3

CKSL studios were pretty dated, and the 100 year old building on Richmond St. was a dump.  They did have a bit of a renovation and expansion later in 1981. In 1983 CKSL moved into totally new facilities and location at the City Centre Complex.  Over $1.5 million was spent on the 8,200 square foot space with the latest equipment, and plans for an FM station.

That McCurdy audio board in the clip is the original from 1956.  CKSL in 1980/81 had an amazing top 40 sound, very compressed and punchy audio at 1410 on the AM dial. This was a medium market station that would fit in any of the majors.  Even though they didn't lead in the ratings back then, within London's radio community many felt that CKSL was the best sounding station in town.  People liked to say that CKSL had CFTR's news style and CHUM's music.  In 1983 London's most popular station CFPL AM 980 was finally able to lure CKSL's Peter Garland to jump ship.  Garland had been CKSL's morning host since 1972.  

On January 1, 2012 CKSL became Funny 1410, which was the first radio station in Canada dedicated to comedy.  In 2016 Bell Media turned in Funny 1410's broadcast license, saying that they couldn't justify the needed $3 million plus to upgrade the transmitter and tower site.  CKSL went silent on August 14, 2016.

July 26, 2021 10:31 am  #4

For a so-called small town, London was an amazing radio market. The depth of talent that came out of there (and often wound up in bigger markets) is simply incredible. While CFPL was always a kind of mainstay, both CJBK and CKSL (and to a lesser extent CHLO) provided entertaining radio in way that was remarkable for a market of its size.

I have nothing but great things to say about London radio, especially back in the 60s and 70s. I almost wound up working there in the 80s, but it didn't work out. But it was a beautiful city and I'm sure I would have been very happy there.   

July 26, 2021 2:46 pm  #5

Not to get too off topic, but there was an elevator I've heard a ton about at the original City TV H.Q. at 99 Queen St. E. before they moved west. It had a locking gate that had to be engaged before the thing would move and I'm told by some who were there at the time that it had the look of a deathtrap combined with something out of a 1930s department store. 

You can see it in this ridiculous video produced by the City crew way back when, narrated by the late, great Mark Dailey. 

July 26, 2021 8:35 pm  #6

As good as he was on Global, I wish Bob McAdorey had done more radio. He was a natural. It's a shame he has not been inducted into the CAB Hall of Fame.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 26, 2021 8:39 pm  #7

He kind of explains his choice about radio in the article below.

July 27, 2021 10:11 am  #8

Not sure of the year these were used, but here's a few minutes of vintage CKSL jingles and liners I found on SoundCloud, for those who fondly remember the station. 

CKSL Jingles