sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 25, 2021 5:40 am  #1

What is his fate now?

Now that the Blue Jays home games will be played in Toronto, what is the fate of the Jays radio voice of Ben Wagner?  Is his tenure at Rogers over?  Here is your chance to wake up Rogers and bring back the original radio play-by-play crew.  What you have now is an insult to those professional radio sports broadcasters.   

July 25, 2021 9:06 am  #2

Re: What is his fate now?

Last I heard Wagner was being used more like a Hazel Mae - gathering reports and interview clips that are inserted during the TV broadcast and dropped in wherever there's room. It's a far cry from being a play-by-play person, which is what he thought he was getting when he left the Buffalo Bisons a few years ago.

As far as I know, he's still working for Sportsnet. Whether Rogers thinks he's worth the money for what's he's currently contributing and whether they're planning to let him continue is impossible to know. I suppose a lot depends on if they ever intend to go back to a radio-only network.

But if I were Wagner, I'd be some kind of angry that his prominent perch - a nationwide radio broadcast for a major league team - was suddenly snatched away for no reason other than money. Still, it's better than what happened to Mike Wilner, who fortunately for him, landed at the Toronto Star after having what he called his "dream job" taken away after more than a decade on air. 

July 25, 2021 10:29 am  #3

Re: What is his fate now?

Is the lack of radio play by play permanent, or because of COVID? The Jays are the only non US team in the league, and were playing no games at their home field.  So the fact that the Jays currently have no unique radio play by play has as much to do with their unique circumstance in the league.  Even after July 30th, other teams don't need to cross the border, other than playing Toronto.  The Jays will be back and forth many times for the rest of the season and hopefully playoffs, and will be dealing with COVID protocols in two countries. 

If the lack of unique radio broadcasts for Toronto is permanent, then yes shame on Rogers and Sportsnet.  But if in fact when the situation gets back to a more normal state, and if the radio broadcasts return then I would not be as critical since their is some justification beyond cost savings for what they have done.