sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 22, 2021 10:13 am  #1

SURGE 105 New Modern Rock Outlet in Halifax

Less than three months ago Acadia Broadcasting won approval to purchased two Evanov FM outlets in Halifax, CKHY and CKHZ.  CKHY had been a rock fm outlet for years but Evanov changed the format abruptly in 2019 to soft adult contemporary (Jewel) just prior to rival CKUL FM which was moving to adopt "The Breeze" format. 

New owners of CKHY have wasted no time moving back to modern rock with SURGE FM.....More on this from Broadcast Dialogue. Give a few minutes to listen to their audio transition promo for the new format.  Very well done, and again shows that some of the best production and radio is not always in the major markets...
https://broadcastdialogue.com/radio-podcast-news-53/

July 22, 2021 10:27 am  #2

Re: SURGE 105 New Modern Rock Outlet in Halifax

Launch consultant is longtime Edge 102 PD Dave Farough, and PD will be Jeremy Slattery, Kiss 92.5 APD/MD and national CHR music director for Rogers.

The BD story indicates the prod manager was let go with the launch, so the piece was likely done elsewhere (I'd assume by someone Dave used to work with as side project)

July 22, 2021 12:06 pm  #3

I loved all of the local cuts of Haligonians speaking about their city and the people.  Nice touch to include some local bands in the music background.  Local artists and music is a big deal in the east.  Acadia Broadcasting  is small chain with stations in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and five in Northern Ontario.  Acadia has 17 stations altogether, and do have a bit of money behind them being owned by Ocean Capital which is a division of the Irving Group.  So many other format change promos sound and look very generic (eg .Bounce, Move), but this really stands out because of the length of the promo and the fact they take the time to talk about Halifax and it's people.  Again, well done!

July 22, 2021 9:59 pm  #4

VERY well put-together opening clip of Surge's debut.

For me, the most notable launch I've heard(or at least their clips)was that of WNVE(The Nerve)in Rochester....with the dial positions(95.1 and 95.5)being said at Warp 10. The clips of it are on YouTube.

July 23, 2021 4:41 pm  #5

Best of luck to them! Good to see a rock station launch, albeit with an unfortunate moniker. Surge is one of those words like “moist” that has an uncomfortable feel to it. Also, there’s currently a surge of COVID Delta variant so that’s a shame. 

July 23, 2021 9:14 pm  #6

MonteVideo wrote:

Best of luck to them! Good to see a rock station launch, albeit with an unfortunate moniker. Surge is one of those words like “moist” that has an uncomfortable feel to it. Also, there’s currently a surge of COVID Delta variant so that’s a shame. 

Surge (the name) to me, sounds very millennial. That's just my opinion though. There's more than enough room for me to be wrong.

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 23, 2021 9:15 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 23, 2021 9:42 pm  #7

https://youtu.be/GHZ6m-zkulw

"surge sounds like a detergent"

can't help but think of the accented pronunciation goofiness in Beverly Hills Cop

July 23, 2021 11:25 pm  #8

betaylored wrote:

can't help but think of the accented pronunciation goofiness in Beverly Hills Cop

Surge was also a Coke product that competed with Pepsi's Mountain Dew once. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 24, 2021 5:02 pm  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

MonteVideo wrote:

Surge (the name) to me, sounds very millennial. That's just my opinion though. There's more than enough room for me to be wrong.

With older millennials now entering their 40s, that would be appropriate for this station.

July 24, 2021 8:43 pm  #10

Radiowiz wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Surge was also a Coke product that competed with Pepsi's Mountain Dew once. 

"Do the Dew!" gotta love a good catch phrase .

I did not know this Radiowiz, thanks, and I also now have a craving for a Mountain Dew