sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 16, 2021 11:08 am  #1

Another Jewel goes Lite

Noticed today that Meaford’s Jewel 99.3 has rebranded as Lite 99.3.     As far as I know that just leaves Jewel 88.5 in Newmarket as the last jewel in the crown left for Evanov Communicatons in their plans to re-brand their soft AC outlets to the Lite name.

July 16, 2021 11:58 am  #2

Re: Another Jewel goes Lite

Does the format change at all slightly? 

July 16, 2021 12:15 pm  #3

markow202 wrote:

Does the format change at all slightly? 

Little more contemporary, upbeat, tight. Still no current songs.

July 16, 2021 12:35 pm  #4

How long before Newmarket turns on the "lite?"

July 16, 2021 1:21 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

How long before Newmarket turns on the "lite?"

If it happens, will R. A. be required to add "Cherish" (Association) and "Close to You" (Carpenters) to his play list?

July 16, 2021 1:40 pm  #6

I don't think I would Cherish being Close To You!

July 16, 2021 2:24 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I don't think I would Cherish being Close To You!

What we have here is a case of mistaken identity.    R.A. - RadioActive?    No, Roger Ashby!

geo

July 16, 2021 2:46 pm  #8

geo wrote:

If it happens, will R. A. be required to add "Cherish" (Association) and "Close to You" (Carpenters) to his play list?

He's actually played both before, so you might well get your wish. 

July 16, 2021 3:52 pm  #9

Lorne wrote:

He's actually played both before   

Surely you jest

July 16, 2021 5:20 pm  #10

geo wrote:

Lorne wrote:

He's actually played both before   

Surely you jest 

No, but the only thing is that he doesn't repeat non-Cancon material that often. But you might be able to get him to play David Cassidy's version of Cherish instead.

July 16, 2021 5:30 pm  #11

Lite 92.1 is a better sounding station to my ears than Jewel was.  Aaron is correct a bit brighter, tighter and more contemporary.  Although it is a bit of a shame that they have invested in new imaging, logos, some newer staff, updated music and are filling a void with  K-Lite moving to Bounce, when everything comes tumbling down with poor quality VT announcer breaks.  Heard some this afternoon and the host was way over modulated and almost distorting.  Then a few breaks later, he sounded fine.

All this hard work can quickly become pointless if the announcer breaks aren't the same sound quality as everything else.  I know I sound like a broken record but I have heard this so much on various stations it is kind of sad since it makes radio sound so second rate.  Gives the impression that radio isn't keeping up with other media and actually regressing.   The announcer's content was fine, just the actual sound was poor. He could have done more breaks however, seemed to be long stretches with no announcer. Also why do some announcers say good bye and do their last break 20 minutes before the show is over.  Too early, gives the impression that they want to get the hell out of here.

Other than that, Lite 92.1 and the other Lite stations are doing a lot of things well and I hope this shows up in the ratings and with advertisers for them.

Last edited by paterson1 (July 16, 2021 5:36 pm)

July 18, 2021 6:58 am  #12

last night around 1030 I was scanning the dial to see if there was anything left of that tropo opening written about on another thread and quite amazingly I heard Jet Boy Jet Girl by Elton Motello on Jewell 88.5. Was not paying close attention to the dial and with the 88, I assumed I was on Indie 88.1 but when the ID played it was Jewel. Must have been a queuing error or something. Perhaps they meant to play Jet by Paul M.

That's a tune that I would be actualy surprized to hear even on Indie 88.1 these days.

Last edited by Fitz (July 18, 2021 7:00 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

July 18, 2021 11:00 am  #13

Fitz wrote:

last night around 1030 I was scanning the dial to see if there was anything left of that tropo opening written about on another thread and quite amazingly I heard Jet Boy Jet Girl by Elton Motello on Jewell 88.5. Was not paying close attention to the dial and with the 88, I assumed I was on Indie 88.1 but when the ID played it was Jewel. Must have been a queuing error or something. Perhaps they meant to play Jet by Paul M.

That's a tune that I would be actualy surprized to hear even on Indie 88.1 these days.

That's not exactly "lite". Maybe someone was trying to spice up Saturday night programming? lol 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.