sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 6, 2021 11:43 am  #1

If You Hate The Blue Jay Radio Broadcasts Now...

...Just wait until the Olympics begin. If you're not a fan of Buck and Pat, but enjoy Dan Shulman, you won't be happy to hear this. The latter broadcaster will be calling the Canadian Men's and Women's Olympic basketball matches during the Games, which means (depending on the teams' successes) he could be gone from the Jays broadcasts for significant parts of July and August. And that includes if the Jays are allowed to come home from Buffalo.

"Obviously, we don’t know if the men are going to be able to qualify, but I’m doing the women’s games as well," Shulman told The Athletic. "They’re obviously a medal contender. It’s kind of a bucket-list thing for me to do."

Shulman isn't going to Toyko for the matches but will call them remotely from Toronto. But that means he won't be around for the Jays games, leaving it to the other two to handle all the contests in between. (Unless they call in Ben Wagner, last year's main radio man, to spell them.)

I have never been a fan of either Buck or Pat, and as noted on the board earlier, they appear to have no idea how to call a game for their radio as well as their TV audience.

Shulman was always the pro of the crew and the only one I really enjoyed listening to. His absence will be felt and even for a few weeks, will make an already long baseball season feel that much longer.  

July 6, 2021 4:38 pm  #2

Re: If You Hate The Blue Jay Radio Broadcasts Now...

For the record: ONLY the Canadian women's team qualified for the Tokyo games.

And, yes, Ben Wagner SHOULD be used more often on the Jays broadcasts.

July 7, 2021 5:47 am  #3

Re: If You Hate The Blue Jay Radio Broadcasts Now...

It doesn't matter who is doing the Jays radio play-by-play, Schulman is just as bad.  He is still a TV guy and is missing a lot of interaction that should be described.  Martinez, Schulman and Tabler talk too much about everything but what is happening on the field.  Far too often is the batter's count never mentioned until he is out.  As professional broadcasters they purport to be, Sportsnet must realize their experiment is not working.  Listening to the game while driving must be challenging.