sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2021 6:40 pm  #1

Buffalo TV Sub-Channels

Noticed the musical chairs continue.   Ch. 51 now has 51.5 DeFy and 51.6 TruReal.   

WKBW now has 7.3 Mystery.  (that might have been there previously).

July 1, 2021 7:23 pm  #2

Re: Buffalo TV Sub-Channels

I wondered where or if these would show up in Buffalo after reading the article below. Thought they might be on Scripps-owned Channel 7, but I'm guessing their subcarrier card is full.

E.W. Scripps’ Defy and TrueReal, New Reality TV Networks Aimed At Men And Women, Debut In 92% Of U.S. Homes

July 2, 2021 6:14 pm  #3

Well, here's the full list(sorry, it's going to be a LONG one...)

-WGRZ has Antenna TV on .2 , True Crime Network on .3 ,Quest at .4 and Twist at .5 .(The last 3 of these subchannels are owned by WGRZ's owner, Tegna. It also carries WNYO's  49.3, Comet via ATSC 3.0.)

-WIVB has Court TV on its .2, while it carries GetTV(which is on WNYO 49.4 via ATSC 3.0)

-WKBW carries Laff on the .2, CourtTV Mystery on .3 and Grit on .4, as well as HSN on .5; also via ATSC 3.0, they also host WNYO's 49.2 Stadium).

-WNLO carries Bounce on their .2; it'll switch come September when it will affiliate with Rewind TV(kind of a sister network to Antenna TV)

-WUTV carries TBD on .2 and Charge! on .3; they also carry WNYO 49.1 via ATSC 3.0 .

-WBBZ has Heroes & Icons on .2, the full-time MeTV schedule on .3, Daystar on .4, Dabl on .5 , Start TV on .6, Decades on .7 and Movies! on .8 .

If you're wondering, WBBZ does NOT have the most subchannels; that honor goes to low-powered WBXZ-LD, which carries Cozi TV, Retro Televison, Jewelry Television, a locally programmed subchannel called Throwback TV, Buzzr, SonLife Broadcasting Network, CornerStore TV(home shopping), QVC, Drive-In TV(also locally programmed, and all movies), AceTV, AMG TV, NewsNet and ThisTV.

Also: WPXJ-TV carries most of the Scripps subchanels as well.

Last edited by ckg927 (July 2, 2021 6:15 pm)

July 2, 2021 7:03 pm  #4

Thanks for the very comprehensive list. I get the impression the reason WBXZ has so many subcarriers is because no one wants to actually watch their main channel! 

I sure wish Decades was on elsewhere other than BBZ. It rarely reaches Toronto and that's the one station I would like to get on a full-time basis. 

July 3, 2021 5:26 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Thanks for the very comprehensive list. I get the impression the reason WBXZ has so many subcarriers is because no one wants to actually watch their main channel! 

I sure wish Decades was on elsewhere other than BBZ. It rarely reaches Toronto and that's the one station I would like to get on a full-time basis. 

More like they're a low-powered station(but their TX is on top of Seneca One Tower)and they can afford to take more risks. They've tried to get on Spectrum or Verizon FiOS, but with no luck.

July 4, 2021 5:35 am  #6

This station is not in Buffalo but somewhat close. I picked it up last summer and recorded it old school on a VCR. WVTT from Olean NY. Low powered station that had 6 sub channels. Was on VHF channel 11. Olean is in the south western part of NY state near the Pennsylvania border.

I put up this on YT last year with audio of Kim Mitchell on Q 107 recorded on cassette in 2015. You can see that the TV station has six sub channels in my scrolling at  4:39.

Last edited by Fitz (July 4, 2021 5:46 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/