sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2021 4:36 pm  #1

Is This The Next & Final Death Blow For AM Radio In Canada?

Most of us here accept the idea that AM isn't what it used to be and likely never will be again. But it still gets an audience, especially in cars. 

That may soon be a thing of the past. The federal government has moved up its timeline on climate change, mandating that by 2035, every new car sold in this country will have to be zero emission. Essentially, that means electric. And from what I've heard about electric cars, the noise they transfer to AM is so horrible, it all but wipes out the signal. Which is why radios in Teslas apparently no longer come with that band on it. 

Personally, if I had one of those cars, this would drive (you should pardon the expression) me crazy. I happen to listen to more AM than FM, simply because music no longer really appeals to me while I'm driving. 

If anything can kill AM once and for all, it could be losing access to it in every car on the road. Unless everything is streamed or on HD by then, this could be the final death blow. And unless this decision is reversed or the timeline extended, it's not that far off - just 14 years to go. 

If anyone currently drives an all-electric vehicle, I'd be curious to know if you still have access to AM - and how (or if) it comes in. 

All new light-duty vehicles sold in Canada will be zero-emission by 2035, feds say

July 2, 2021 7:44 pm  #2

Re: Is This The Next & Final Death Blow For AM Radio In Canada?

How far from the electric vehicle does the noise radiate. If I'm driving behind one will it mess up my radio too? If my house is next to a busy road will it interfere with the radio in my house, every time an electric vehicle passes?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 2, 2021 8:04 pm  #3

Here's one possible solution for not being able to get AM in an electric car. (Why wouldn't he at least have put it on the roof?) 

California driver ticketed for SpaceX Starlink dish bolted to car’s hood

[img]https://cmg-cmg-rd-20021-prod.cdn.arcpublishing.com/resizer/QgMPFV5z2e2ZTPkixB9BGkZVd2g=/800x0/filters:format(jpg):quality(70)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/cmg/LGV5I4PBNVF3ZJTVTVLLI46ZDE.jpg[/img]

July 2, 2021 11:41 pm  #4

Sidebar: Don't have an electric car. Haven't listened to the radio on an actual radio in over a year, I just stream 1010 and 1050 on my phone, pretty much 24/7.

AM radio oughtta be able to survive if they don't keep messing with it.

I bet a good number of big yellow board members stream radio these days.

Last edited by betaylored (July 2, 2021 11:46 pm)

July 3, 2021 10:32 am  #5

I think you are right betaylored and the AM radios in cars for years have been pretty bad. Sound quality is often terrible.

July 3, 2021 10:41 am  #6

paterson1 wrote:

I think you are right betaylored and the AM radios in cars for years have been pretty bad. Sound quality is often terrible.

Narrowband!  Put your hand over your mouth and talk.  Does that sound like your AM tuner?

I've fared well over the years amassing some better bandwidth AM tuners (not quite full wideband 10 KHz response), but a few with response to 6 or 7 KHz, making for at least a clearer sound.  The AM section in my 1999 Toyota Camry is above average, and my portable GE radio fares well too.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

July 3, 2021 10:50 am  #7

The electric cars simply come with HD radios. The AM stations can transmit in HD2
(or HD3...is there an HD 4?)
Doesn't HD solve the problem?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 3, 2021 11:07 am  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

The electric cars simply come with HD radios. The AM stations can transmit in HD2

The HD2 to 4 sub channels are on FM and most of those in Canada are carrying AM stations but not all AM channels are carried in such a way. There is now one AM HD station in Toronto at 530 but sub channels on HD AM are not feasible at least for now.

Technically the carriage of AM on FM sub channel s is not really AM but who knows maybe in 14 years radio may become streaming dominated for both AM and FM. High resolution streams for music may become more common.

Last edited by Fitz (July 3, 2021 11:10 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

July 3, 2021 11:44 am  #9

betaylored wrote:

Sidebar: Don't have an electric car. Haven't listened to the radio on an actual radio in over a year, I just stream 1010 and 1050 on my phone, pretty much 24/7.

AM radio oughtta be able to survive if they don't keep messing with it.

I bet a good number of big yellow board members stream radio these days.

Online streaming is no more like real radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 3, 2021 12:34 pm  #10

Fitz wrote:

Technically the carriage of AM on FM sub channel s is not really AM but who knows maybe in 14 years radio may become streaming dominated for both AM and FM. High resolution streams for music may become more common.

People don't care about the medium (AM, FM, satellite, streaming, whatever), but they do care about the content.

July 3, 2021 3:37 pm  #11

as i mentioned b4 try listening to 1010cfrb via hd.  awful.

Radiowiz wrote:

July 3, 2021 3:44 pm  #12

As an electric car owner, (Tesla Model 3) without AM, the short answser is no problem.  I assume that other car makers will have EVs with well thought out AM radio work-arounds.  Many Toronto AM stations are on FM on hd (680, 590, 1010, 1050, 740 and 640) So the etnic AM stations are missing.  (Though there is a lot of ethnic content on FM/HD). However the TUINEIN app, which is integrated into the Tesla audio system, provides (by default a full list of local stations and regional stastions (am and fm) which can be streamed.  So any AM station in the region, can be streamed by tiouching the stastion logos.  You can scroll through for dozens of stations in surrounding regions. This (default) Toronto area  list includes 1280, 540, 1540, 1430, 1650, etc.  As well as all other english language locals.  You get all those stations (and 10,000 more) with the connectivity package.  Most people take that package for navigation and other apps, including spotify, slacker, which are preinstalled.   Buffering and loss of signal haven’t been an issue over 3 months of Downtown and midtown driving.  I listen to FAN 590 a lot in the car on HD.  No reception problems.  Incidentally, besides having more than a dozen FM/HD presents, there are at least additional TUNEIN presets, all easly to access.   Makes the old 5 button am/fm radio so 20th century.  Last comment, I suspect that car and truck makers will continue to up their game, with audio systems that have great fidelity.  So if AM broadcasters focus on providing a great stereo stream, they may survive.  Unfortunately very few AM broadcasters have spent time or money ensuring that their audio streaming rivals their FM competitors.  AM and FM broadcasters will also benefit from the lack of engine or transmission noise in the cabin. Most  people who ride in an EV, take note that the  is that the audio quality is so good.