sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 15, 2016 9:32 am  #1

AM 640: It Bears Repeating Without Delay

Has anybody else noticed a weird anomaly that’s been plaguing AM 640 in the past few weeks? I’m not even sure how to describe it beyond that it’s an “audio hiccup” in which something the host says is repeated as if it were being played again.

I heard it the other day when the morning show host used the words “ask for an apology,” after which the word “apology” was immediately repeated – but not live by the host. It was clear it was in essence an exact replay of what he’d just said, and not somebody saying the word again. "Ask for an apology. apology" is how it sounded on air. 

It happened again that same morning when I tuned back in to hear the phone number being given out. But instead of repeating, what listeners heard was an obvious drop out.  "870- Star 640," is what went out live. Part of the original broadcast had simply been dropped.

I heard it for yet another time on Friday, when that weird repetition occurred, followed seconds later by a drop out of words in the middle of a spot. It's often quite subtle but it's definitely there. 

I’m hardly a techie, but my suspicions lie with the equipment that provides the delay. Could it be malfunctioning in some way? It’s not a constant thing, but it happens often enough that it’s becoming very noticeable when it does.

And since those behind the scenes are likely monitoring the studio feed, they may not even be aware it’s happening. But this is now going into the second or third week. It’s certainly odd and whatever it is, it hasn’t been fixed.

July 15, 2016 6:50 pm  #2

Re: AM 640: It Bears Repeating Without Delay

I heard it twice today during the Mike Stafford show.

July 15, 2016 7:45 pm  #3

Somewhat related...

My wife says she's leaving me because of my obsession with CB radios...

I think it's over....over...

July 15, 2016 10:14 pm  #4

Thank you all for confirming....thought it was a stroke.  Has to be the delay console, box, relay, unit or whatever the man has ordered to keep the masses down!  (or not).

July 15, 2016 11:00 pm  #5

It could also be the console / audio IP network as well...  I have heard similar problems with the LX-24 series console and the associated Blades / Engines. 

Mains and CR monitor outs would be clean, but a digital distortion was on the headphone out(s)... Or you could see signal reflection on a set of meters, but there was no signal on the out, despite routing being correct.  

The only solution was to shut down the console, blades, and the managed IP switch and then reboot...

July 17, 2016 10:58 pm  #6

it's that fly by night digital flash n the pan stuff... what they need is a reel to reel with the record and play heads placed far apart from each other.