sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2021 10:06 am  #1

June 30 End Of An Era In Buffalo TV News, As Keith Radford Signs Off

The last day of June will also be the last day of work for veteran anchor Keith Radford, who will be retiring from WKBW after 34 years at the station - and 50 years in broadcasting. Of course, he famously started at CKLW and admits he never intended to stay in Western New York all those years, thinking he would get experience and then move on to a bigger market. But it never happened, as he explained to the Buffalo News' Alan Pergament. 

“Not many people in my business are lucky enough to stay in the same place for 34 years doing the exact same thing. I could have gone to a bigger market probably, but I probably wouldn’t have lasted as long. My family was all in Toronto, and Buffalo turned out to be just a good city to be in."

He'll just miss Irv Weinstein's record for longevity by a few months. And while Buffalo will remain his home, it won't be fulltime. Having experienced way too many Western New York winters, he'll spend half the year in Florida, a wise decision.

His last day will be this Wednesday, June 30th. Even if you haven't watched a Channel 7 newscast in years, it may be one worth catching.

As final broadcast nears, Keith Radford reflects on 50-year career

June 27, 2021 7:25 pm  #2

Re: June 30 End Of An Era In Buffalo TV News, As Keith Radford Signs Off

The 6pm newscast on Wednesday will be Keith's final one at 7EWN; they made mention of it on their 6pm newscast tonight. You can watch it on the station's website(or via their app on your smartphone).

June 29, 2021 8:59 am  #3

It turns out they'll do a normal 5 & 5:30 PM newscast on Wednesday, but their 6 o'clock show will be entirely devoted to Radford's last day and his career. 

July 1, 2021 12:20 am  #4

July 1, 2021 1:01 pm  #5

It just occurred to me while watching this special that, before Radford's retirement, one of the major newscasts from Buffalo was being anchored by two Canadians - Ashley Rowe and Keith Radford, both of whom once worked for CTV in Toronto. A kind of off kilter and completely unimportant Canada Day fact.