sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 12, 2016 3:32 pm  #1

C.B.C. Scoops CNN And How...

All unpleasantness aside I'm wearing my old and worn out journalists hat as I write this...

I was surprised yesterday during the tragic courthouse shooting in St. Joseph Michigan to see the national news arm of the C.B.C. outperform CNN.

I first learned of the story when CNN's Don Lemon made mention of it in a sentence or two and I waited, in view of the tragic incidents that have occurred in the past week stateside, for further details.

CNN kept repeating over and over what very little they knew..."a policeman has been shot"...then brought in some experts to talk around the story but had no real details...no 
facts for the longest time. So long that I must admit I became a wee bit impatient. I took a flyer and switched over to  C.B.C. news channel and lo and behold here is a uniformed  law enforcement official  in St. Joseph Michigan holding a live and very detailed news conference. Slightly floored to say the least...here is C.B.C. news cutting edge while CNN is still floundering.

Proves I guess that you are often only as strong as your affiliate in any given geographic area.

Kudos to C.B.C.news channel for their up-to-the-minute coverage of a truly tragic event.

Us old journalists notice stuff like this....gets the juices flowing (a little) every once in a while...

Last edited by unclefester (July 12, 2016 11:19 pm)

July 12, 2016 4:42 pm  #2

Re: C.B.C. Scoops CNN And How...

you're ok with the $1.1 billion taxpayer subsidy, uncle fest?

July 12, 2016 7:26 pm  #3

geo wrote:

you o.k with the $1.1 billion taxpayer subsidy ?

That's a different topic all together...

I'm just trying to get some old Canadian newsroom staffers to shout hooray....that's all...

I very briefly worked for C.B.C. t.v. on air early 1980's...summer fill in...

I remember the day I was hired and the executive producer told me how much they were going to pay me...

I couldn't believe it...but they had money to burn...and they sure did...

If the money wasn't spent on C.B.C.  would it be better spent some place else...or not ??

Who knows ??

Last edited by unclefester (July 13, 2016 10:24 am)

July 13, 2016 8:24 am  #4

CBC is an excellent News organization. I have never worked for them but did work for the competition and recall quite clearly the President of CTV News telling a meeting of affiliates that CTV did not have the resources to compete with CBC on breaking news and investigative journalism and would therefore focus on enterprise reporting in specific fields to break stories. That was in the 90's and I thought it was quite the admission, it was also a good strategy that continues to serve them well. 

July 13, 2016 6:08 pm  #5

I can't imagine how CNN could ever be held up as any measure of a 'benchmark' to beat when it comes to news or news coverage.  With the exception of the obviously talented Anderson Cooper and their hidden gem...GPS host  Fareed Zakaria...they don't impress me in the least.  They are but posers and hackers with no concept for how to conduct an interview or host a debate.  [or 'do' news period]  Their almost constant 'navel gazing' is only under-done by the useless twits at Fox Nooz who are entrenched at the rock bottom lowest of the low in every way, shape and form.  

-------------------------------------------------------------

Almost forgot Don Lemon...they sure do try and keep him out of the spotlight. What's up with that?  And then there's the guy from Buffalo.  He hosted the dubya Bush addled shock and awe campaign and then subsequently floated to the top...somehow...  I should add that Wolf ain't the only thing that floats.

Last edited by Old Codger (July 13, 2016 6:16 pm)