sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 18, 2021 8:05 am  #1

Hear Jewel 92 In Brantford Rebrand As “Lite 92”

The Jewel has been devalued in Brantford. As of Friday, the station is now called “Lite 92, Southern Ontario’s Lite Favourites.” I suspect it’s part of a merry-go-round of changes that could have started when CKLH gave up its “lite” format for a harder sound.

The change went into effect after the morning news at 8 AM.

So far, it doesn’t appear the change affects Evanov’s 88.5 in Newmarket, which remains the “Jewel” in the company’s crown. 

June 18, 2021 8:24 am  #2

Re: Hear Jewel 92 In Brantford Rebrand As “Lite 92”

June 18, 2021 9:31 am  #3

With only 2 Jewel stations left, I would not be surprised if they flip the outstanding Jewel stations to the Lite Branding.   Much stronger name, more inclusive format.    CKLH was called Klite but hasn't really been Lite music in a long long time.    Evanov could have looked at it as a reason to move up to a soft ac, but Klite was younger than Evanov's lite brand will ever be, and Evanov will not likely touch the much more modern sound Klite was.  

June 18, 2021 10:58 am  #4

radiokid wrote:

With only 2 Jewel stations left, I would not be surprised if they flip the outstanding Jewel stations to the Lite Branding.   Much stronger name, more inclusive format.    CKLH was called Klite but hasn't really been Lite music in a long long time.    Evanov could have looked at it as a reason to move up to a soft ac, but Klite was younger than Evanov's lite brand will ever be, and Evanov will not likely touch the much more modern sound Klite was.  

Halifax is a given, as new owners just took over.

The Jewel name and music blend were really a product of Evanov Sr. It's not surprising that they gave it a bit of time, and then re-positioned them. I suspect Brantford would have gone this direction regardless, but the 102.9 flip certainly cements it.

June 18, 2021 11:09 am  #5

The Jewel name is pretty unique.  How many times is "lite" going to be used on FM stations.  Its almost redundant but, it does explain the format right off the top in that case. Also, saying "southern ontarios lite favourites" might hint at 88.5 also changing.

June 18, 2021 5:40 pm  #6

I agree.. but the issue sits with a non listener..  Would they tune it in.... Jewel could be a few things..   I don't know if it works for soft ac like "Lite" does.    Same for Klite really...  It wasn't really Lite for years....  Ezrock as well.   Those names although heritage, don't work as things progress and formats change.    I say the same for Bounce...  It feels like it won't age well with the music they play.. Actually sounds like a hip hop station really. 

Meaford and NewMarket are the only 2 left as Evanov owned Jewels.  Halifax it's just in a placeholder with the new owners as they decide what to do. 

June 18, 2021 6:00 pm  #7

markow202 wrote:

The Jewel name is pretty unique.  How many times is "lite" going to be used on FM stations.  Its almost redundant but, it does explain the format right off the top in that case. Also, saying "southern ontarios lite favourites" might hint at 88.5 also changing.

They're ready to pull the trigger:
https://www.whois.com/whois/lite885.ca

June 18, 2021 6:20 pm  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

markow202 wrote:

They're ready to pull the trigger:
https://www.whois.com/whois/lite885.ca

https://www.whois.com/whois/lite993.ca  same for their Meaford station  

June 18, 2021 6:27 pm  #9

Sorta related: Read on Milkman today that Scot Turner is the new PD for Lite 92.1 and HOT Country 93.9.