sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 15, 2021 10:06 pm  #1

Who Tried To Murder CHUM's Music Librarian?

As some here may have surmised, I discovered a cache of old RPM Magazines and have been going through them page by page, coming up with interesting and long forgotten nuggets of the past and publishing a few of them here in the last couple of days.  

Most are about old radio happenings, but this one stopped me in my tracks. It's the bizarre and somewhat chilling story of the attempted murder of a CHUM librarian in 1969 and how he just barely cheated death. There's no question that whoever did it knew the guy worked for the radio station because he used that to set him up for the killing.

I have no idea if they ever arrested anyone, but this makes the Mike Cooper April Fool's fake assassination bit that followed years later seem like nothing in comparison. 

It's a story I never heard until now. I'm betting most of us haven't either. I hope the guy is well and has had a good life since - with no other incidents!

June 15, 2021 10:42 pm  #2

Re: Who Tried To Murder CHUM's Music Librarian?

I knew Mike Rutledge well.  We both started as board operators who split working the 6 to midnight board shift at CHUM.  I never ever knew this story and I was still at CHUM in 1969.  In 1967, I went into the Production Department, and the next year, when Claude Deschamps left to start his own company, I was made Production manager.  When J. Robert Wood came to the station in 1968, Mike went into the library where he remained until he left the station in the early 1970's.   

June 16, 2021 12:00 am  #3

This is a very frightening account of a horrible incident. And not to make light of it, but according to the article, he was literally and figuratively a lucky duck. That's what saved him.

I'm amazed it didn't become lore at the station but perhaps he didn't want to talk about it or was told not to by police. I tried to find out if there was any reference to a resolution or an arrest, but to no avail. It sounds like they had a good suspect. Just how cut-throat was the record biz back then?

Either way, what a bizarre story! 

Here he is in the middle in this pic, ironically at a promo thank you event with some record company execs. It appears to have been taken about a month after the attempt on his life. 

June 16, 2021 12:35 am  #4

It may not have been anything to do with the record industry.  

June 16, 2021 6:34 am  #5

That's certainly true, but the article mentions his dispute with a recording industry person as the most likely suspect. I suppose we'll never know what happened, but considering that whoever it was knew where he lived and worked as well as his schedule, his home phone number, and what would coax him out of his house early in the morning, it was certainly well planned. Thankfully, not as well executed. 

June 16, 2021 10:59 am  #6

Actually in that photo RA, Mike is the guy in the middle.  Trust me, there may well have been other factors at play here that had nothing to do with the record industry.  

June 16, 2021 11:02 am  #7

Thanks for the correction. The magazine identified him as the guy on the right. I will change the original post. 

As for the motive, it sounds like you're hinting you know something I assume you're not at liberty to reveal, even all these years later. Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice!