sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 8, 2021 8:46 am  #1

Greg Brady's Odd GNR640 Text Number

This isn't all that important, admittedly, but I found it strange. Most radio stations have a dedicated text number where listeners can share a message. On CFRB, it's 7-1010. But Greg Brady, who has been filling in for Stafford on GNR640 the past few weeks and has his own show Saturday mornings, is repeatedly giving out a 10-digit phone number with a 289 area code to receive texts for his show. 

What number is this? It can't be a Corus line, or it would almost certainly be 416 and have fewer digits. So is he giving out his own personal cell phone? If not, as the saying goes, Whose Line Is It Anyway? 

I honestly can't remember hearing a non-branded text line on any station since the technology first surfaced. Doesn't 640 have its own dedicated number? In this day and age, you'd think they'd almost have to. 

June 8, 2021 9:04 am  #2

Re: Greg Brady's Odd GNR640 Text Number

Possibly a pay as you go disposable number?  I have no idea why he needs it though. 
His fan base can just contact him on Facebook. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 8, 2021 9:35 am  #3

I don't have the answer but an easy way to do this and not use a "real" phone number is to:

1.  Have an account with voip.ms
2. Get a phone number (they call them DID numbers)
3.  The phone numbers can handle SMS messages.  There is a message centre but I think you can also forward them to an e-mail address. 

Piece of cake.

June 8, 2021 4:29 pm  #4

That is the promo/remote broadcast cell phone which they're using for hosts who work from home.

June 8, 2021 5:52 pm  #5

PTE wrote:

That is the promo/remote broadcast cell phone which they're using for hosts who work from home.

Odd, though, I haven't run into a texting service yet that doesn't have web access. There are plenty of hosts working from home using the station's usual text line.

June 10, 2021 9:01 am  #6

Since Greg Brady is in for Stafford on the AM drive shift, could he legitimately call the show "Brady In The Morning?" 

And could the Weather Fairy be far behind?

Just wondering.