sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2021 9:55 pm  #1

BBC World Service

BBC abandoned their North American shortwave audience about a dozen years ago. But sometimes it's still possible to receive their broadcasts they direct towards other parts of the world.

From a transmitter located in Madagascar, they broadcast to Western Africa for one hour every night on 9915 KHZ. But their signal crosses the Atlantic and provides fair reception in North America most nights.

Of course, if they ever found out someone over here was listening, they'd shut it down immediately.

Last edited by turkeytop (June 7, 2021 10:20 pm)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

June 8, 2021 8:25 am  #2

Re: BBC World Service

Most of the shortwave signals that emit from the Ascension Island BBC relay make it to eastern North America. With a good antenna and a quiet listening area, one can listen to WS all afternoons on these frequencies: 11810, 12095, 15400, 17640, 17780 and 17830.
Overnight 6005 is another good alternative.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5nCxH0NlsPtyW8WvJ0rwDJP/about-world-service-radio

June 8, 2021 9:46 pm  #3

Re: BBC World Service

andysradio wrote:

Most of the shortwave signals that emit from the Ascension Island BBC relay make it to eastern North America. With a good antenna and a quiet listening area, one can listen to WS all afternoons on these frequencies: 11810, 12095, 15400, 17640, 17780 and 17830.
Overnight 6005 is another good alternative.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5nCxH0NlsPtyW8WvJ0rwDJP/about-world-service-radio

Thanks for the tip on those frequencies. I'll check them out. I remember to good old days when BBC was on at all hours of the day and night, on several frequencies and multiple bands.

Sometimes they would announce they were shutting down on the current frequency and tell the listener where to tune to continue listening.

Last edited by turkeytop (June 8, 2021 9:48 pm)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.