sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 6, 2021 7:56 pm  #1

Hockey Night in Canada?

It's hard to believe that a play-off game involving two Canadian team would not be carried in English on an OTA channel.

June 6, 2021 8:26 pm  #2

Re: Hockey Night in Canada?

Makes you wonder if the NHL didn't want to schedule around the Junos or if Rogers didn't try to schedule around them.

Conspiracy theorists would say it's a test for dropping the CBC simulcasts at some point in the rights deal.

That being said, I was surprised they didn't put it on City - but maybe that isn't part of the playoff rights.

June 6, 2021 8:56 pm  #3

I think that when play-off dates were set the Junos were OK.  However, with COVID causing many schedule changes to the North division, the NHL decided tonight there would be a game.
And the Junos could not be moved.

June 7, 2021 10:58 am  #4

The CBC arrangement with Rogers for Hockey Night in Canada was important to Rogers.  Sportsnet is a pay cable channel and there would have been hell to pay if Saturday night hockey had not been available OTA.  Rogers OTA stations don't have near the national coverage of CBC.  Also it is interesting that after experimenting for a couple of years Rogers went back to the CBC style of covering hockey and usually use CBC crews for the broadcasts.  All of the in studio segments are produced at CBC.

It will be really interesting to see what arrangements are made for the next NHL broadcast agreement for Canadian rights.  I think you will see some interesting changes.

All things considering, the JUNO broadcast wasn't bad last night.  Loved the pre- program at 7pm that interviewed artists recalling their JUNO moment.  Very well done entertaining segment that probably nobody watched!  Overall not a bad broadcast, but unfortunate with the conflict with hockey which likely couldn't have been avoided with all of the scheduling changes for both the JUNO Awards and playoffs.

June 7, 2021 12:52 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

The CBC arrangement with Rogers for Hockey Night in Canada was important to Rogers.  Sportsnet is a pay cable channel and there would have been hell to pay if Saturday night hockey had not been available OTA.  Rogers OTA stations don't have near the national coverage of CBC.  Also it is interesting that after experimenting for a couple of years Rogers went back to the CBC style of covering hockey and usually use CBC crews for the broadcasts.  All of the in studio segments are produced at CBC.

It will be really interesting to see what arrangements are made for the next NHL broadcast agreement for Canadian rights.  I think you will see some interesting changes.

All things considering, the JUNO broadcast wasn't bad last night.  Loved the pre- program at 7pm that interviewed artists recalling their JUNO moment.  Very well done entertaining segment that probably nobody watched!  Overall not a bad broadcast, but unfortunate with the conflict with hockey which likely couldn't have been avoided with all of the scheduling changes for both the JUNO Awards and playoffs.

I didn't watch any of the Junos, but I can imagine the first appearance of The Tragically Hip since the passing of Gord Downie would've drawn some viewers.

June 7, 2021 2:00 pm  #6

The performance with Feist was really good.  Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson made the presentation and speech to the Tragically Hip for the Humanitarian Award.

June 7, 2021 2:03 pm  #7

And this is timely as well.  Rogers is building a brand new cutting edge set for their NHL broadcasts, which will be unveiled in the fall.   Don't know if this includes Hockey Night in Canada, but I would think so.  More from Broadcast Dialogue.
https://broadcastdialogue.com/sportsnet-building-new-cutting-edge-nhl-production-studio/

June 7, 2021 5:21 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

And this is timely as well.  Rogers is building a brand new cutting edge set for their NHL broadcasts, which will be unveiled in the fall.   Don't know if this includes Hockey Night in Canada, but I would think so.  More from Broadcast Dialogue.
https://broadcastdialogue.com/sportsnet-building-new-cutting-edge-nhl-production-studio/

Another reason the conspiracy theorists would say Rogers is ending it's deal with the CBC. No more studio rental agreement. Their new studio in the Rogers building looks nice, and I'm sure is a lot more convenient for SportsNet proximity, but darn it looks small compared to their current hockey studio. 

CBC might as well sell that building on Front Street...... they don't even use the five big studios on a regular basis. Formally they had a daytime talk show, Rick Mercer Report, CBC Sports, Air Farce, and so on. 

June 7, 2021 5:30 pm  #9

torontostan wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Another reason the conspiracy theorists would say Rogers is ending it's deal with the CBC. No more studio rental agreement. Their new studio in the Rogers building looks nice, and I'm sure is a lot more convenient for SportsNet proximity, but darn it looks small compared to their current hockey studio. 

CBC might as well sell that building on Front Street...... they don't even use the five big studios on a regular basis. Formally they had a daytime talk show, Rick Mercer Report, CBC Sports, Air Farce, and so on. 

Didn't they recently move out of Maison Radio-Canada into a much smaller facility in Montreal?

June 7, 2021 6:20 pm  #10

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Didn't they recently move out of Maison Radio-Canada into a much smaller facility in Montreal?

Yes, although I don't think the move is fully complete yet. I must say their new facility is very technologically advanced and looks very nice! 

June 7, 2021 6:46 pm  #11

torontostan wrote:

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Yes, although I don't think the move is fully complete yet. I must say their new facility is very technologically advanced and looks very nice! 

And here is the new facility they are moving into.  Not as big as the old building, but still over 400,000 square feet.

Regarding CBC Toronto, don't they rent out their studios quite a bit?  The agreement with Rogers continues until the 2025/26 season and was extended by Rogers with the CBC to the end of their NHL contract.  The Canadian rights for the NHL after 2026 will be interesting.  I doubt that Rogers will go for the same package again, since so far the current NHL agreement hasn't exactly worked out very well on the revenue side. 

Last edited by paterson1 (June 9, 2021 7:20 am)

June 9, 2021 8:29 pm  #12

So I guess this is Cuthbert's chance to call the Final this year?

Unless Hughson is going to return from a studio in Vancouver? 

Bartlett and Galley have been doing a pretty good job remotely (and saving a lot of travel) but you can still tell the difference between someone calling it from in the building . I was watching an NBCSN broadcast & they had to guess if the goalie had been pulled on a couple of occasions, or if a player was back on the bench from an injury.