sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 4, 2021 10:13 am  #1

CBC Archive Video On Cancon's 50th Yr. Has Some Amazing Radio Memories

This vintage story from the CBC archives on the 50th anniversary of the Canadian content rules is pretty interesting in its own right. But it's a few of the videos that really caught my eye. The first one contains brief footage of the late, great Dave Johnson on the air at the long gone CFGM, Richmond Hill. Does anyone know who that unidentified GM is? 

The same video shows an interview with a CKEY (not CKAY as the copy incorrectly reads) honcho and though it was long before my time there, I swear I recognize the management guy who's talking, but I can't for the life of me remember his name.  

The last video on the page is from Mike Duffy, in his previous life as a TV reporter in 1978. It shows the old CHUM and an impossibly young-looking J. Robert Wood, who talks about a plan to reduce Cancon from 30% to just 15 - with the proviso that every record played be 100% Canadian, bypassing the MAPL system. Though Duffy indicates the plan has support from other stations, it never came to pass. The only issue I have with the piece is that the audio is very low and hard to hear. Kind of ironic for a story shot in a radio station!

Fun to see those old control rooms in both stories, though!

How Canadian content rules influenced the music industry in the 1970s

June 4, 2021 11:25 am  #2

Re: CBC Archive Video On Cancon's 50th Yr. Has Some Amazing Radio Memories

Unrelated, but Mike Duffy has a full head of hair!

June 4, 2021 1:16 pm  #3

Re: CBC Archive Video On Cancon's 50th Yr. Has Some Amazing Radio Memories

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Unrelated, but Mike Duffy has a full head of hair!

Yes for a second there I thought I was watching Johnny LaRue, doing a street beat...