sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 6, 2016 7:52 am  #1

A lament for the days of bad Canadian TV

A fun piece from Joel Rubinoff, who regularly writes these kind of articles. And yes, "The Trouble With Tracy" is prominent. but it's not the only one. 

"TV stinkage was our trademark, a badge of honour in a market saturated with superior American product.

If we couldn’t compete on a world class level, we could take pleasure, as perennial underdogs, in laughing at our own incompetence."

A lament for the days of bad Canadian TV

Last edited by RadioActive (July 6, 2016 11:55 am)

July 6, 2016 1:45 pm  #2

Re: A lament for the days of bad Canadian TV

I wouldn't say those 'days of yore' were good. In fact, they were pretty terrible. And he left out CBC's "Mosquito Lake," possibly one of the biggest Canadian sitcom bombs to ever land a dud on the small screen. 

Still, I do remember some of them fondly, although I'm sure they were only in my childhood imagination. Like "Cannonball," below. 

And I remember liking "The Adventures of Tugboat Annie," although it's impossible to find more than a snippet or two of video of it now. 

July 6, 2016 4:30 pm  #3

^Vintage video may have some of the above classics, but it'll be very expensive, and you'll be expected to pay for the full set, not just an episode or two. 

Vintage Video: http://www.vintagevideocanada.com/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 6, 2016 11:00 pm  #4

How about another one?  From 1963, the "Original" Littlest Hobo.  I believe it was produced in Vancouver.

Last edited by Peter the K (July 6, 2016 11:00 pm)

July 7, 2016 12:50 am  #5

But in terms of bad television, there's always this chestnut from the Agincourt Studios:

And, here's the pitch:

Last edited by Peter the K (July 7, 2016 12:53 am)

July 7, 2016 7:48 pm  #6

Plouffe Family was best TV ever