sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 1, 2021 11:36 pm  #1

What Happened To CTV Toronto's Late Local News On Tuesday?

Something odd must have happened at Agincourt on Tuesday night - CTV's regularly scheduled 11:30 PM news never aired. Instead, the TV side showed CTV News Channel for half an hour. NT1010, which carries the audio feed of the local show, had 30 minutes of CP24, instead.

It's the first time I've ever seen/heard it not run and because it's now on both radio and TV, it was especially noticeable. Anyone know what happened?

June 2, 2021 8:12 am  #2

Re: What Happened To CTV Toronto's Late Local News On Tuesday?

Interesting.  Just checked the streaming feeds of newscasts at toronto.ctv.ca and sure enough, last night's 11:30 newscast is the CTV Newsnet feed.

I've seen this happen before with the Kitchener feed.  What's most annoying is that they don't in any way shape or form acknowledge the anomaly.  They just jump out of it at the end like it was just another day and we're not supposed to notice.

June 2, 2021 9:14 am  #3

When I tuned in @11:30 I just figured CTV was doing a special national report covering the situation in BC.
I was shocked to see that they did not switch over around 11:40 or so to CTV Toronto.
The other strange thing is how, around midnight they made it look like there was "more to come" but it indeed switched over to The Daily (social distancing) Show without a problem. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 2, 2021 9:53 am  #4

My best guess - and that's all it is - is a power outage that forced them to improvise quickly. That or a sudden control room equipment failure seems the most logical explanation. (I believe CTV National News is pre-taped for the east coast, so it wouldn't have necessarily been affected.)

But I remember another instance a long time ago when City TV - which had no other source to go to - wound up showing an episode of Life on Venus Ave. where the 11 PM news was supposed to be. It was so insane that at the end of the hour, the tape rewound on air for about 5 five minutes, followed by about 10 minutes of nothing. 

I phoned a friend who worked there that night and asked what happened. He told me there had been what police believed was a credible bomb threat and they evacuated the entire station on Queen St. W., with the evening staff standing outside on the sidewalk, milling around wondering when they would get back in. (Luckily, it was the summer, so it was a lot easier to wait there.)

After several hours, the master control people were finally allowed to return to get the station back on track with regular programming. But the news never did air that night.  And they never did explain to viewers what happened. 

June 2, 2021 3:51 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

And they never did explain to viewers what happened. 

They wouldn't publicize the fact they had a bomb threat (which happened a number of times)

June 2, 2021 4:24 pm  #6

In Phase wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

And they never did explain to viewers what happened. 

They wouldn't publicize the fact they had a bomb threat (which happened a number of times)

No, of course they wouldn't. The same way we don't report suicides on the TTC. Don't want to give anyone any ideas. (Of course, some of their late not-so-great movies were bombs, but that's another story altogether!)

June 2, 2021 8:00 pm  #7

The CTV channel in London doesn't show any late news at al on a holiday like Victoria Day, Canada Day etc.The just substitute a trashy, celebrity gossip show called E Talk.

I'd be willing to bet the show doesn't attract even one viewer. 

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

June 2, 2021 10:57 pm  #8

CTV National News at 10pm (EST) on CTV News Channel was messed up off the top.  No audio, then a restart of the show, then echo on Lisa LaFlamme's mic.

Totally unprofessional.

Such a shame.  This would never have happened a few years ago.

June 2, 2021 11:33 pm  #9

Thankfully CTV Toronto News @ 11:30 is back up and running in very healthy condition tonight. 
I'm very glad to see that.  Unlike Citynews, which tends to turn out the lights after 7PM,
CTV Toronto has at least one reporter Live on location some place at night to report something currently happening in Toronto. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 3, 2021 9:34 am  #10

Radiowiz wrote:

Thankfully CTV Toronto News @ 11:30 is back up and running in very healthy condition tonight. 
I'm very glad to see that.  Unlike Citynews, which tends to turn out the lights after 7PM,
CTV Toronto has at least one reporter Live on location some place at night to report something currently happening in Toronto. 

Sadly though they miss loads of news that happens..   It's very noticeable even between their own CP24 and CTV when CP24 will be in panic mode on a story and CTV doesn't even mention it.   Happens a lot.      CTV is famous for doing live shots outside some building that long closed just to say their live.  Being live for no reason doesn't mean anything but optics.  Being live for a reason like true breaking news, or a huge story... That means something.    Having live equipment tied up for a pointless live standup, makes it unavailable for real breaking news where they should be live.     That's one thing that CP24 does do much better.

Last edited by radiokid (June 3, 2021 9:48 am)

June 3, 2021 11:11 pm  #11

Yes RA,
It is true, CityPulse Tonight did not air one night (don't remember the exact date, at 299) because a credible threat was phoned into the hot line.  Thankfully it was recorded, and the police were called.  The accent used on the call was scary. We had to wait outside for the police dog to show up as it was at another call.
Before that in 1985 back in the old building at 99, there was also a credible bomb threat phoned in by someone claiming to be Armenian, during the same time the city was being shut down. We all stood in the parking lot across from the station and waited for the all clear that happened at 5pm.  Needless to say, nothing was cut for the 6. In one hour we cut the entire show! Editing rocked that day!