sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 3, 2021 7:16 pm  #1

Viewer Alert: "Monty Python's Best Bits" Special Coming To WNED

If you're a lumberjack and you're OK and you always look on the bright side of life (whistle) or you were (or are) a Monty Python fan, PBS has a special coming up next week you may want to see. It's described this way:

"Monty Python’s influence on comedy has been compared to the Beatles’ influence on music, a pivotal moment in the evolution of television humor. Celebrating the cultural legacy and influence of the troupe, this special pairs their original material with new and entertaining commentary from celebrities who consider Monty Python hugely significant, both personally and to the history of screen satire."

It airs three times in Buffalo on Channel 17-1:

-Thurs., June 10 @ 9:30 PM
-Sat. Jun 12 @ 9 PM
-Sun. Jun 13 @ 3:30 AM

The show is 90 minutes long, although how much of that is pledge breaks and how much actual content remains to be seen. If this interests you, most DVR guides should have it in there already for you to set before you forget. I'm sure Mrs. Ratbag will be watching, when she's not out looking for an argument with her dead parrot...

June 3, 2021 7:21 pm  #2

Re: Viewer Alert: "Monty Python's Best Bits" Special Coming To WNED

The special is NOT on a Canadian station, but here's how CBC advertised the Pythons when the show debuted for the first time ever in this country back in 1970. (Note that they didn't call it Monty Python in the ad.)

June 3, 2021 7:39 pm  #3

Why don't they air it all?

June 3, 2021 8:51 pm  #4

https://youtu.be/vMeQwLJI6XI

voice of John Cleese: thank you for viewing the attached preview of Monty Python's Best Bits... and now for something completely different, this entertainment is not available for viewing in Canada

voice of Graham Chapman: excuse me, stop this right now, it is not completely different, for decades hapless Canucks have had to miss out on jolly good movies, tv shows and pop concerts

(insert Terry Gilliam-ish animation of CRTC pepperpots arguing about Canadian culture)

Finis

June 3, 2021 9:06 pm  #5

i think my name speaks for itself.

June 3, 2021 9:45 pm  #6

Thank you RA.  DVR is already set.

You always manage to find the most interesting stuff.  Where would I be without you and SOWNY?

June 3, 2021 9:56 pm  #7

Peter the K wrote:

You always manage to find the most interesting stuff.  Where would I be without you and SOWNY?

You're welcome. I love passing stuff like this along, because it's so easy to miss these specials. As for where you'd be without SOWNY, I hope you never get to find out! Appreciate you being here. 

June 4, 2021 1:42 pm  #8

Peter the K wrote:

👍👍