sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 3, 2021 10:03 am  #1

Radio host plays the same old song, again and again and...

If you've ever listened to the Roger Ashby Oldies show, you'll be familiar with his "Double Play" feature, where he plays one hit and then segues to an alternate version of the same tune, either the original or an unusual second take by someone else. 

Now imagine that as a two hour show. That's what a host on MIT radio station WMBR has been doing every single week for years. He takes a single well-known song and then finds enough alternate versions of it to fill 120 minutes. You might get a standard by Frank Sinatra, followed by an entirely different interpretation from say, Ella Fitzgerald or some obscure punk band. You might even hear that song sung in Lithuanian. 

Not sure if the show, called "Subject To Change," is something I would listen to on a regular basis, but it's an interesting idea and it appears to have a growing fanbase listening over the web. 

I wonder how many versions of The Four Tops' "The Same Old Song" have been made. Now that would be an ironic and appropriate song for this show!

This radio host plays the same old song, again and again and...

June 3, 2021 10:06 am  #2

Re: Radio host plays the same old song, again and again and...

Is a fantastic way to illustrate, musically, how country morphed into rock 'n roll.    Examples

- (Now & Then There's) A Fool Such as I, original by Hank Snow, later by Elvis, and
 - You Win Again, original by Hank Williams, later by Jerry Lee

June 3, 2021 11:44 am  #3

Re: Radio host plays the same old song, again and again and...

Joe Niagara played some 500 cover versions of "Stardust" on his show on WPEN Philadelphia, but he did it one song, one show at a time.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram