sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 27, 2021 11:06 am  #1

Are Oldies Stns. Not Playing These Hits Because People Now Hate Them?

Sean Ross, a longtime radio consultant and columnist, posed that question in his newsletter this week, talking about what he calls "Lost Factor" songs - tunes that were once all over the radio but, for reasons of overplay or just changing times, listeners have now grown to hate. 

I'm not sure I would agree with his contention that "Theme from a Summer Place" by Percy Faith fits into that category, but he calls it one of the top examples of a song that's run out of time on the radio. It's an interesting concept - songs that can't be played because they're considered an instant tune out. 

Here's some of his choices for the 70's most unplayable hit list. Would you change the channel if any of these came on?

1 – Wayne Newton, “Daddy Don’t You Walk So Fast”
2 – Chuck Berry, “My Ding-a-Ling”
3 – Paul Anka, “(You’re) Having My Baby”
4 – Chakachas, “Jungle Fever”
5 – Mac Davis, “One Hell of a Woman”
6 – Clint Holmes, “Playground in My Mind”
7 – Michael Jackson, “Ben”
8 – Melissa Manchester, “Don’t Cry Out Loud”
9 – Sammy Davis Jr., “The Candy Man”
10 – Charlene, “I’ve Never Been to Me” (the only ‘80s title, but it first charted in the ‘70s)

You can see an entire Top 100 here and check if a song you like (or once liked and now hate)  is on the list. 

Ross On Radio: The Best and Worst of What’s Lost

May 27, 2021 11:24 am  #2

Re: Are Oldies Stns. Not Playing These Hits Because People Now Hate Them?

RadioActive wrote:

Would you change the channel if any of these came on?

1 – Wayne Newton, “Daddy Don’t You Walk So Fast”
2 – Chuck Berry, “My Ding-a-Ling”
3 – Paul Anka, “(You’re) Having My Baby”
4 – Chakachas, “Jungle Fever”
5 – Mac Davis, “One Hell of a Woman”
6 – Clint Holmes, “Playground in My Mind”
7 – Michael Jackson, “Ben”
8 – Melissa Manchester, “Don’t Cry Out Loud”
9 – Sammy Davis Jr., “The Candy Man”
10 - Charlene, “I’ve Never Been to Me” (the only ‘80s title, but it first charted in the ‘70s)

Yes, vigorously and without exception

May 27, 2021 11:29 am  #3

Shows good judgement on their part.

Now, let's add everything by Bobby Goldsboro or Helen Reddy.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

May 27, 2021 12:09 pm  #4

I heard someone the other day on here refer to The Morning After as a bad song from the 70s.  I quite disagree as I'm sure does Ms McGovern 

But these songs (minus Melissa Manchester) are all trash heap worthy, and this is from a guy that likes a lot of lame 70s and 80s tunes.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

May 27, 2021 12:19 pm  #5

How about Melissa Manchester's Midnight Blue, beautiful song.  Only station I hear play it is Jewel.  Never have even heard it on 70's on 7 on satellite.  Another great artist you never hear anymore, even on BOOM when they used to play more 70's music is Todd Rundgren, great songs like I Saw The Light and Hello It's Me, Can We Still Be Friends, We Got to Get You a Woman.  I think Q still plays Todd.  Maybe these songs didn't "score" well?  However I do hear these songs on AM740 and on Jewel from time to time.  

Last edited by paterson1 (May 27, 2021 1:32 pm)

May 27, 2021 2:42 pm  #6

There IS one place you can go to hear obscure oldies, songs that were hits but don't get played any more. And since it's run by one time SOWNY founder Dale Patterson, I'm guessing the list of tunes is a lot better than the one offered up by Mr. Ross.

Oh Wow, The Songs Radio Forgot can be found online here

May 27, 2021 3:33 pm  #7

Id have to listen to the tracks to judge them however, just the titles of the songs alone in that list, all if not most would get banned these days due to some millennial being offended or the titles being derogatory.  

A year or so ago society couldnt handle "baby its cold outside"  nevermind "my ding a ling" or "one hell of a woman" 

Last edited by markow202 (May 27, 2021 3:34 pm)

May 27, 2021 3:49 pm  #8

Paul Anka's "You're Having My Baby," which is on that list, got the Canadian singer in huge trouble back when it was first released in 1974. 

Anka infuriated both the Right To Life crowd (who objected to the line about "didn't have to keep it") and the National Organization of Women (who hated the fact he said it was "MY baby," thus implying it was not the woman's as well) with the tune, which still managed to wind up at #1 for three weeks on Billboard.

He told reporters at the time that he knew the song would upset some people but he never expected the backlash it got. He insisted it was about the joys of motherhood, the process women go through when they're expecting and how he reacted as a father. And he made no apologies for it, even as it soared up the charts. 

When asked about all the controversy, he jokingly said he was going to release a follow-up called "You're Killing My Baby" about an abortion. You can only imagine in this social media age what the reaction would be if he said something like that today!