sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 18, 2021 8:21 am  #1

102.9 Bounces into a new format

102.9 K-Lite Hamilton is now Bounce 102.9. '80s, '90s and '00s.

https://www.iheartradio.ca/bounce/hamilton

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

May 18, 2021 9:11 am  #2

Re: 102.9 Bounces into a new format

it seems to be part of a new national brand...... Kfun in Kitchener also flipped along with a long list of stations left behind with Move. 

Last edited by radiokid (May 18, 2021 9:11 am)

May 18, 2021 9:27 am  #3

...and the three remaining BOBs.

May 18, 2021 9:42 am  #4

...they left CHUM FM alone again.  Nice to know it "ain't broke" lol

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 18, 2021 10:02 am  #5

according to https://www.iheartradio.ca/bounce/ there will be 25, hover over the banana links to see the markets name. No Bob's, No EZRock's and a few missing Bears.

May 18, 2021 10:08 am  #6

citats wrote:

according to https://www.iheartradio.ca/bounce/ there will be 25, hover over the banana links to see the markets name. No Bob's, No EZRock's and a few missing Bears.

Dock got bounced out also. Owen sound & Midland...

May 18, 2021 10:09 am  #7

It appears most of the "BANANA" placeholders are for soon to be former EZ ROCK's 

May 18, 2021 11:47 am  #8

The new Bounce in Fredericton (which is also a format change from a rock station) apparently is also going with non-local programming outside of drive time as part of this. Is this being done in other markets?

May 18, 2021 11:57 am  #9

CJPT-FM Brockville, Ontario is also included in this change to "The Bounce". 103.7 BOB FM is no more after nearly 18 years! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CJPT-FM

https://www.iheartradio.ca/bounce/brockville

May 18, 2021 12:00 pm  #10

MJ Vancouver wrote:

The new Bounce in Fredericton (which is also a format change from a rock station) apparently is also going with non-local programming outside of drive time as part of this. Is this being done in other markets?

Jay Stevens is tracking a national midday show out of Winnipeg.

Of the stations I'm familiar with, that shift was already tracked, and everyone else seems to still be in place

May 18, 2021 12:11 pm  #11

MJ Vancouver wrote:

It looks like many of the stations have somebody by the name of J Stevens doing the midday shift. It also looks like many of these stations share the same playlist, even during the local dayparts. 

So far I've only heard two songs from the '00s: "It's My Life" by Bon Jovi and "Kryptonite" by 3 Doors Down. Their playlist seems to be quite similar to the Stingray and Corus owned Boom's, minus the '70s; although I did hear Toto's "Hold the Line' just recently.

PJ

May 18, 2021 12:11 pm  #12

RadioAaron wrote:

Of the stations I'm familiar with, that shift was already tracked, and everyone else seems to still be in place

Minor detail, Jay is out of London Virgin Radio doing multi station\brand VT's

May 18, 2021 12:13 pm  #13

RadioAaron wrote:

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Beat me to it! Didn't see your post until after I hit submit.  

PJ

May 18, 2021 12:14 pm  #14

citats wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Minor detail, Jay is out of London Virgin Radio doing multi station\brand VT's

Ah, thanks!

May 18, 2021 1:01 pm  #15

Listening to 102.9 now - Blue Rodeo "How long" is being played.  The Dock 104.1 is not the Dock anymore?

May 18, 2021 1:05 pm  #16

Interesting - I streamed what was The Dock and is now Bounce as noted above.  The announcer "Jay Stevens" is on all channels - so did more get fired locally or maybe this is just the first day. 

The playlist is awesome. 

May 18, 2021 5:07 pm  #17

radiokid wrote:

It appears most of the "BANANA" placeholders are for soon to be former EZ ROCK's 

List updated. No more "Banana" placeholders lol & you are correct.  

May 18, 2021 8:32 pm  #18

I guess for some of the stations out west, Bounce will be a change musically for the EZ Rock stations.  Here in Kitchener the music is exactly what KFUN was programming.  In fact their promos on TV all day have been saying the music is the same just a new name.  KFUN toughened up their music about 5 or 6 years ago.  Even though they are not promoting it, Bounce still plays a fair bit 70's music, Boston, Billy Joel, Bee Gees etc. 
https://www.bellmedia.ca/the-lede/press/the-music-you-just-cant-quit-new-national-brand-bounce-radio-launches-today/ 

May 18, 2021 8:39 pm  #19

paterson1 wrote:

I guess for some of the stations out west, Bounce will be a change musically for the EZ Rock stations.  

Yep, some of these are format changes. Biggest being K-LITE; not often a station that's #1 flips. In addition to the EZ Rock stations, there were a few Rock stations in BC and out east that flipped too.

May 18, 2021 9:05 pm  #20

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I guess for some of the stations out west, Bounce will be a change musically for the EZ Rock stations.  

Yep, some of these are format changes. Biggest being K-LITE; not often a station that's #1 flips. In addition to the EZ Rock stations, there were a few Rock stations in BC and out east that flipped too.

Good point, yes a real format change for K-LITE, heavier sound for them now, and a gamble since they were usually #1 in Hamilton as you mentioned.  The Dock in Owen Sound and Midland will be more pop/new wave gold now with less 70's and 80's rock. But as mentioned the music so far has been what KFUN was playing for the last five years or so.

May 18, 2021 9:40 pm  #21

Based on the playlist on their sites, it seems to be a national schedule on all the bounce stations.  Not sure if this is to remain in the long term, but Hamilton and KW basically run the same music in the same order at the close to same time.    With some of these stations overlapping signals... feels weird.. but it seems to be the way. 

May 18, 2021 9:52 pm  #22

paterson1 wrote:

Good point, yes a real format change for K-LITE, heavier sound for them now, and a gamble since they were usually #1 in Hamilton as you mentioned.

I think they'll win the gamble. The classic hits mix is actually probably more appealing to a lot of long-time K-LITE P1's, and Boom 97.3 is absolutely huge in Toronto's surrounding markets if you look beyond local stations in the ratings. 

May 18, 2021 10:05 pm  #23

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Good point, yes a real format change for K-LITE, heavier sound for them now, and a gamble since they were usually #1 in Hamilton as you mentioned.

I think they'll win the gamble. The classic hits mix is actually probably more appealing to a lot of long-time K-LITE P1's, and Boom 97.3 is absolutely huge in Toronto's surrounding markets if you look beyond local stations in the ratings. 

The very idea that "Lite" is now gone from the name means they can now play some heavier tracks and nobody's gonna care. 

May 18, 2021 10:21 pm  #24

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Boom 97.3 doesn't have the greatest signal in the Hamilton area too, so that'll probably be an added bonus for 102.9.

PJ

May 19, 2021 12:37 am  #25

Paul Jeffries wrote:

Boom 97.3 doesn't have the greatest signal in the Hamilton area too, so that'll probably be an added bonus for 102.9.
PJ

It drives Energy 95.3 to continue to be very new music driven. 
I can't think of anyone in the area that might now choose to be more "Breeze" driven, but it's a potential hole to fill.

May 19, 2021 2:17 am  #26

I love what Winnipeg did before switching over to Bounce:  https://twitter.com/999BOBFM/status/1394637917910446083

May 19, 2021 9:20 am  #27

I mean the former K-LITE playing Talking Heads Psycho Chicken at 7:03 this morning...qu'est-ce que c'est??

May 19, 2021 9:25 am  #28

Radiowiz wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

PJ

It drives Energy 95.3 to continue to be very new music driven. 
I can't think of anyone in the area that might now choose to be more "Breeze" driven, but it's a potential hole to fill.

SOFT AC or "BREEZE" is really covered by Jewel 92.  The numbers in Hamilton for Jewel are non-existent really and to be honest...   SOFT AC isn't really what works today in Hamilton.   Klite at the end was not super soft, it was mainstream really.      If anything once Corus gets bored with Energy 95-3, I could see them moving to a more mainstream AC format if they are going to refocus on Hamilton again.     The issue is it's a huge signal, and the money is towards Toronto.   As a local focused AC, most of that signal will be wasted in areas where no one will listen and buy.    Move in St Catharines may have an opportunity to grab some audience from Hamilton now, which may have been Bell's plan all along. 

Last edited by radiokid (May 19, 2021 9:27 am)

May 19, 2021 11:46 am  #29

Paul Jeffries wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

PJ

How can their signal be bad in Hamilton?  Its just down the pond. 

May 19, 2021 1:17 pm  #30

paterson1 wrote:

I mean the former K-LITE playing Talking Heads Psycho Chicken at 7:03 this morning...qu'est-ce que c'est??

will they go all the way and play :

https://youtu.be/ivH-5et5qQ8