sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 30, 2016 10:01 pm  #1

Jack’s Back & Gives 'RB A Whack

Although I rarely listen to spots when they come on, I’ve noticed in the past few weeks that our old SOWNY contributor/combatant Jack Berkovits is back on the radio with his “Omni is Love” commercial. (He even paid for a jingle. Imagine!)

What attracted my attention about this is that it’s been on a number of stations – most notably AM 640 – but I have yet to hear it on CFRB. Yet Jack used to be a constant advertiser on NT1010. That is until they cancelled his Sunday night talk show, a program many here thought was a weird programming decision to begin with.

I have no inside knowledge that Jack is taking his revenge on 'RB by withholding his business from them, but it’s easy to speculate that it demonstrates the danger of what the station did by giving a heavy regular advertiser a show of his own – and then taking it away. Jack has the right to choose where to spend his money, of course, and his decision apparently isn't with Bell's Toronto talker

Omni may be love, but the fact those spots aren’t airing on CFRB makes me wonder if the exact opposite emotion may be at play.

July 1, 2016 1:08 am  #2

Re: Jack’s Back & Gives 'RB A Whack

Charlie wrote:

...but why is 640 still playing those 'Employment Lawyer' plugs by Carroll?  He's been back with Bell media for months.

Must be an external contract of some sort.

Yes, Bill is with Bell Media but not in the Toronto market. So, technically, neither Bill nor Corus/AM640 is doing any wrong.

July 1, 2016 1:31 am  #3

Been hearing them everywhere. I think CFRB too.
And noticed that on 640, there are two of them in most stopsets.
At least he's not shrieking any more.

July 1, 2016 2:32 am  #4

BoredOp wrote:

Yes, Bill is with Bell Media but not in the Toronto market. So, technically, neither Bill nor Corus/AM640 is doing any wrong.

Luckily, there doesn't seem to be any plan to launch a CTV radio network.
(with Bill heard in both Toronto, on 1010, Ottawa, on 580 and other places...there were rumours, lol)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 1, 2016 5:18 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

. . . they cancelled his Sunday night talk show, a program many here thought was a weird programming decision to begin with

Jack's talk show ran Thursdays, 10:00 to midnite

July 1, 2016 10:37 am  #6

Kilgore wrote:

Jack's talk show ran Thursdays, 10:00 to midnite

You're right. I'd forgotten which night the show I never listened to was on! 

I've still never heard the spot on RB, but of course, no one can listen every minute of the day so it's possible it's there. But I do monitor 1010 a lot and have yet to hear those dulcet tones back on the station. Either way, it's clear he's purchased a lot more time on the competition than he does on Bell Media's AM flagship. 

And that can't be an accident.

July 1, 2016 11:10 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

. . . it's clear he's purchased a lot more time on the competition than he does on Bell Media's AM flagship.   And that can't be an accident

An astute business person generally purchases the media pkge that provides the most bang for the buck, no?

July 1, 2016 3:24 pm  #8

grilled.cheese wrote:

Jack is the jack of all trades.  He's like a modern day Frank D'Angelo; a true renaissance man.

What!!!  He's a goalie?

July 1, 2016 7:31 pm  #9

Kilgore wrote:

An astute business person generally purchases the media pkge that provides the most bang for the buck, no? 

Exactly my point. The fact that RB vastly out rates 640, yet Berkovits apparently hasn't chosen to advertise there would seem to indicate it's personal. 

July 2, 2016 5:06 am  #10

RadioActive wrote:

RB vastly out rates 640, yet Berkovits apparently hasn't chosen to advertise there would seem to indicate it's personal

Perhaps Mr. Berkovitz obtained a quote on co-sponsoring (for example) the 8:00 AM, Noon and 5:00 p.m. news from both News-talk 1010 and Toronto 640.    Then perhaps he examined his radio advertising budget and decided on the best fit.    Perhaps

Last edited by Kilgore (July 2, 2016 7:08 am)