sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 6, 2021 12:52 pm  #1

J-effing Awful New Radio Spot Is Selling ?

Listening to Leafs Lunch today, and I heard a spot talking about Jeff, and Jeff getting milk, or getting milked, and I think they were trying to sell... insurance? Don't recall the name of the company/product. Even the voice actor that powered through it sounded like he wasn't too sure about the whole deal.

It was udderly useless advertising.

May 6, 2021 1:20 pm  #2

Re: J-effing Awful New Radio Spot Is Selling ?

I've been thinking about this endlessly repeated spot as well of late. I think it's for an entity that compares insurance rates, arguing it can save you money if you consult them. But while it does cut through, so it's successful in that way, the sheer stupidity of the copy annoys you well before you hear it for the 800th time, 

The very first time it came on, I thought it was Earl Mann, the veteran NFL Films (and former CFTR) announcer. But it wasn't, although the guy was doing his best to sound exactly like him. 

Actually, while it's harmless overall, the ones I feel sorriest for are people who are really named Jeff or Geoff. The amount of ribbing they have to be getting when this thing comes on will quickly become unbearable. Hope for their sake it's a short-lived campaign.

May 6, 2021 1:41 pm  #3

AD FAIL. No clue what is being sold. Pull the ad ASAP and get a new one in there please and thanks. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 6, 2021 6:20 pm  #4

OK so this is how bad this spot really is.  I drive around a lot for my job always listening to the radio.  I have heard this commercial dozens and dozens of times.   I thought the line was "jets getting milk."  I know it makes no sense at all, but really either does the spot itself.   I now feel really stupid, but so is this commercial.
Right up there with one of my favourite songs mashes, "Hold me closer Tony Danza."

May 6, 2021 7:30 pm  #5

I think the current worst ads are not doomed by writing, but by improper use of talent. There's a car company ad employing a shill who is trying to sound Australian but clearly can't do it. It's similar to the travesty of Keanu Reeves' attempt at an English accent in Dracula.

May 6, 2021 10:20 pm  #6

grilled.cheese wrote:

I enjoy misheard song lyrics.

I do too, as in the 80's Can Con classic "Sleep in Your Overalls" by the Spoons

May 6, 2021 10:25 pm  #7

Chrisphen wrote:

I think the current worst ads are not doomed by writing, but by improper use of talent. There's a car company ad employing a shill who is trying to sound Australian but clearly can't do it.

I agree about the improper use of talent, which comes down to casting the right voice actor for the copy. There's lots of announcer type commercial voice actors, but far fewer real voice actors.

Is the ad your talking about for Hyundai (I think it's that company, I'm not a fan of automobiles), and a female voice actor, because that's Nicole Kidman.

May 6, 2021 10:29 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Hope for their sake it's a short-lived campaign.

🤞🤞🤞😶

May 7, 2021 7:11 am  #9

Here's another one that misses the mark for me - the Ryan Doyle spot for the real estate agent who isn't Frank Leo. It's essentially the same spiel as the latter, ("Your home sold guaranteed or he'll buy it...") with one difference - at the end of the spot, he gives the guy's phone number as something like 555-ARCHIE. (The realtor's name is pronounced "Leno Archie.")

Except the real spelling is Lino Arci. That's never pointed out in the spot. So even if you were interested in his service, how would you possibly know that listening on the radio? If someone says the name "Archie," my instant thought is the guy in the comics. Why would you assume it would be spelled any other way?

It's an unfortunate name for audio, since there could be so many different ways to spell it. And when it comes to the web or a phone number - that matters. 

May 7, 2021 7:38 am  #10

RadioActive wrote:

If someone says the name "Archie," my instant thought is the guy in the comics 

Archie Bunker ! ! ! 

May 7, 2021 9:24 am  #11

Charlie wrote:

Caleb likes to speak in the third person.

Ah, Spence. The Old Faithful of shitty ad copy.

betaylored wrote:

=12pxIs the ad your talking about for Hyundai (I think it's that company, I'm not a fan of automobiles), and a female voice actor, because that's Nicole Kidman.

In that case the talent can clearly do a proper accent - one way or the other - but was directed to deliver that way. Still a poor decision.

May 7, 2021 9:35 am  #12

geo wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

If someone says the name "Archie," my instant thought is the guy in the comics 

Archie Bunker ! ! ! 

If the real estate agent in the Ryan Doyle commercials sold an underground fortress to a survivalist, would that make it an Arci Bunker?

May 7, 2021 11:38 am  #13

RadioActive wrote:

The very first time it came on, I thought it was Earl Mann, the veteran NFL Films (and former CFTR) announcer. But it wasn't, although the guy was doing his best to sound exactly like him. 

A bit off topic, but didn't he also do voiceovers for CHCH-TV in the 90s, and CTV before that?

May 18, 2021 9:42 pm  #14

Charlie wrote:

Not only is this incessant ad painfully annoying, it is painfully stupid.  

I can sleep peacefully at night knowing I didn't spend precious money for this garbage. There are others who will bear this burden their whole careers.

May 18, 2021 9:43 pm  #15

Actually to be honest, I think that Nicole Kidman's voice on many of those car spots is squeaky, choppy instead of bouncy and full of energy, and underwhelmingly meh average.

My test of a good read is, does it make me pay attention because the voice actor has memorable tone and cadence, is enjoying themselves and knows how to bring out the best in the copy.

As opposed to limping through it which is sometimes the case, more so on the radio than television/social media advertising.

Maybe one in ten ads on the radio checks all the boxes and gives the advertiser a great commercial for their money.

May 18, 2021 9:43 pm  #16

Caleb is feeling verklempt!