sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 1, 2021 5:46 am  #1

It's Not Working

If it's necessary the you can only catch a Blue Jays game on radio, you're missing a lot.  The braintrust at Sportsnet who made the senseless and unwise decision to eliminate the radio team must remind Buck Martinez and Pat Tabler they are broadcasting BOTH on the radio and television.  Missed pitches, throws over to first, who's on deck, infrequent score mentions are only a few highlights of the game that are missing for the listener.  There are far too many dead-air gaps in their broadcast where the radio listener has no idea what is happening.  Pat Tabler and his incessant conversations at the wrong time when the pitcher is working is the result of Marinez failing to call the pitch count.  The sooner Sportsnet returns with a separate Blue Jays radio broadcast team, the better.    

May 1, 2021 6:16 am  #2

Re: It's Not Working

All excellent points, but to add to all that, what does the CNIB think of all this?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 1, 2021 8:52 am  #3

laffin wrote:

If it's necessary the you can only catch a Blue Jays game on radio, you're missing a lot.  The braintrust at Sportsnet who made the senseless and unwise decision to eliminate the radio team must remind Buck Martinez and Pat Tabler they are broadcasting BOTH on the radio and television.  Missed pitches, throws over to first, who's on deck, infrequent score mentions are only a few highlights of the game that are missing for the listener.  There are far too many dead-air gaps in their broadcast where the radio listener has no idea what is happening.  Pat Tabler and his incessant conversations at the wrong time when the pitcher is working is the result of Marinez failing to call the pitch count.  The sooner Sportsnet returns with a separate Blue Jays radio broadcast team, the better.    

They don't care about radio. It's more important to show higher profits that the removal of a radio team from the payroll will ensure. Quality doesn't matter. Profits do.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 1, 2021 11:30 am  #4

I agree wholeheartedly. I watched last night’s game keeping in mind the radio listeners.  Martinez was not calling all
the balls and strikes.  Listeners would not be aware of the balls-strikes count after every pitch.  As a listener. I would
need and want to know that.  I also find Buck’s and Pat’s incessant trivial bantering unbearable.  At times, Buck was not describing foul balls...just silence.  I grew up listening to Leaf baseball, daytime Yankee games on WHLD, and
of course Tom and Jerry.  Rogers’ disrespect of radio’s baseball heritage is unforgiveable.

May 1, 2021 1:04 pm  #5

Dale Patterson wrote:

laffin wrote:

They don't care about radio. It's more important to show higher profits that the removal of a radio team from the payroll will ensure. Quality doesn't matter. Profits do.

There's a lot of "Profit" in radio coverage sponsored by CNIB...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 1, 2021 9:17 pm  #6

Oddly, I was going to post something similar to this, so you're not alone. On Saturday night I was out walking the dog at 7:30 PM and with nothing else worth listening to, turned on the Jays' game. It was horrendous. 

In the first half inning alone, I heard Martinez thank me for watching, told me to look at something on the left of my screen and related how we were watching the ISO camera of George Springer to see if he'd reinjured himself. He's either deliberately ignoring the radio audience or is just too inexperienced at doing double duty to understand what he's doing - or rather, not doing. 

I've never been a fan of Buck or Tabler and while they collectively know more about baseball than I will ever have any idea about, the one thing they are not are trained broadcasters. When Dan Shulman is absent, so is my enjoyment of listening on the radio. It's a terrible thing that Rogers has done and no other pro baseball team on earth to my knowledge has ever done this. 

Now we know why. 

May 4, 2021 8:53 pm  #7

I've been trying to express why I'm so against the TV broadcast being relayed over the radio. But maybe nothing says it as well as this Terry Cashman song, a classic about how the medium and that particular sport seem to go so well together. 

It's called "Play-by-Play, I Saw It On The Radio" and it mentions some of the greats who called the game over the years, with even a few samples of them mixed into the song. And it says more than I ever can about why Rogers is so wrong in what it did. Worth a listen if you've never heard it.  

May 5, 2021 11:34 am  #8

I can't blame the announcers.  They are not trained to do radio and trying to do both at the same time is impossible.  

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

May 5, 2021 12:29 pm  #9

Dan Shulman has done radio and still does games for ESPN radio occasionally.  It is not rocket science to adjust to 
this situation and Martinez should be trying to do so but he obviously doesn’t seem to care.

May 7, 2021 11:36 am  #10

I notice at the end of the game Dan Shulman says that Jays Talk is next on the Blue Jays Radio Network, then he pauses long enough for them to break away, then says Sportsnet Central is next.

Aside from all the problems this radio arrangement has, at least Jays Talk is being promoted on Sportsnet TV for the first time.