sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 3, 2021 8:57 am  #31

Re: Format switch for 98.5 the Jewel??

turkeytop wrote:

In normal times, we spend our winters in the Tampa Bay area.About the only radio I listen to there is NPR.

Not to hijack the topic, but turkeytop - and others - may find this interesting. Sad that it's never been a factor in Toronto, since the stations that are members don't really come in here.

NPR turns 50 

CBS' Sunday Morning also did a video tribute to the network.

Now back to your Jewel thread... 

May 3, 2021 10:18 am  #32

Hope they also dont do it for Newmarket.  My parents listen to Jewel 88.5 and honestly I got kind of caught onto it too.  The playlist is old indeed but unique and the songs arent that boring.  

May 3, 2021 10:28 am  #33

markow202 wrote:

Hope they also dont do it for Newmarket.  My parents listen to Jewel 88.5 and honestly I got kind of caught onto it too.  The playlist is old indeed but unique and the songs arent that boring.  

I agree.  I listen to Jewel in Brantford when I want lighter music and don't mind their sound at all.  I prefer the larger playlist and songs that nobody else is playing.  Lots of gold that never gets airplay elsewhere, this makes Jewel much less repetitive.

May 3, 2021 10:59 am  #34

The only time I listen to the jewel is in the evening. They have a program called The Lounge. It's a little like the old style. easy listening FM that was prominent in the 60s and 70s, but with a bit of contemporary mixed in.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

May 3, 2021 11:29 am  #35

paterson1 wrote:

markow202 wrote:

I agree.  I listen to Jewel in Brantford when I want lighter music and don't mind their sound at all.  I prefer the larger playlist and songs that nobody else is playing.  Lots of gold that never gets airplay elsewhere, this makes Jewel much less repetitive.

Ditto...  the broader, larger playlist is what appeals to me as well...  generally I'm tuned to CKPC in the car... tuned to Newmarket, and Meaford, when I'm in those areas or passing thru. Even Ottawa, but that is no more.

Saw on their Ottawa website last evening that they have The John Tesh Radio Show on weekdays from 10am to 3pm. I guess this is for the new format?

As an aside about the larger playlists... this was what I could not understand with Sirius/XM when I had the service in my car...  the two channels which appealed to me at the time were "The Bridge" and "70s", but I found the playlists too narrow, and very repetitive..., so, after the free trial period was over, it was adios!!!

May 3, 2021 1:32 pm  #36

The "Lite" attempt will be more like a CHFI kind of thing which again is so overdone.  Shopping mall dentist playlist mostlikely consisting of Michael Buble and Adele.  Id rather watch paint dry.

Jewel can go from playing Bill Withers, to Eddie Money to The beatles to Jann Arden in a span of 20 mins and no repeats which make it much better while sounding light and unique. 

May 3, 2021 2:27 pm  #37

Glen Warren wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Ditto...  the broader, larger playlist is what appeals to me as well...  generally I'm tuned to CKPC in the car... tuned to Newmarket, and Meaford, when I'm in those areas or passing thru. Even Ottawa, but that is no more.

Saw on their Ottawa website last evening that they have The John Tesh Radio Show on weekdays from 10am to 3pm. I guess this is for the new format?

As an aside about the larger playlists... this was what I could not understand with Sirius/XM when I had the service in my car...  the two channels which appealed to me at the time were "The Bridge" and "70s", but I found the playlists too narrow, and very repetitive..., so, after the free trial period was over, it was adios!!!

Funny you mentioned SiriusXM, I keep planning not to renew it since I don't listen that much.  You are right their music selection is pretty tight on the decade channels.  And artists that had many hits, normally only a handful of their hit songs are played.  Apparently just because a song was in the top ten or popular years ago doesn't mean it will "score" well with people that many stations bring in to test music.  So if it doesn't score well, it isn't going to be played.  You would think that a satellite station that has no commercials and all the time in the world, and only plays songs from one decade would have a huge playlist...nope.  

May 3, 2021 3:45 pm  #38

John Tesh has been on Lite (the Jewel) for awhile.

May 3, 2021 7:12 pm  #39

Had Jewel 92 on for a while this afternoon. No mention of any pending changes there. So, that's good news.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

May 3, 2021 9:56 pm  #40

markow202 wrote:

The "Lite" attempt will be more like a CHFI kind of thing which again is so overdone.  Shopping mall dentist playlist mostlikely consisting of Michael Buble and Adele.  Id rather watch paint dry.

Jewel can go from playing Bill Withers, to Eddie Money to The beatles to Jann Arden in a span of 20 mins and no repeats which make it much better while sounding light and unique. 

One is often #1, the other is #14. Yeah, the big playlist is neat, but it doesn't work.

May 3, 2021 10:02 pm  #41

paterson1 wrote:

You would think that a satellite station that has no commercials and all the time in the world, and only plays songs from one decade would have a huge playlist...nope.  

That's an interesting one, for sure.

Satellite was initially programmed for bigger music fans as an alternative to tight FM playlists.

Later, they achieved that variety through more channels rather than deeper playlists.

I have to wonder if as more of their listenership has moved to streaming which allows them actual ratings-type data that they have found out the same thing radio knows: huge playlists = no ratings.

The current business model seems to be "radio with more stations" rather than anti-radio.

May 3, 2021 11:07 pm  #42

Ale Ont wrote:

John Tesh has been on Lite (the Jewel) for awhile.

Yes, which prevents Rogers or Bell from using Tesh in Ottawa. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 3, 2021 11:22 pm  #43

turkeytop wrote:

The only time I listen to the jewel is in the evening. They have a program called The Lounge. It's a little like the old style. easy listening FM that was prominent in the 60s and 70s, but with a bit of contemporary mixed in.

I like The Lounge also