sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 24, 2020 10:59 am  #1

SuperChannel Goes After Stores & People Who Bought These Android Boxes

Global has a detailed story on a warning for those who might own or sell an Android streaming box. Thanks to FYImusicnews.ca for the link. 

Super Channel is suing retailers, customers over TV boxes and pirate content

February 24, 2020 12:33 pm  #2

Re: SuperChannel Goes After Stores & People Who Bought These Android Boxes

Why is Superchannel so aggressive on this matter. It is such a bad service with a lot of obscure Canadian programming. 

March 3, 2021 1:53 pm  #3

March 3, 2021 3:33 pm  #4

So I'm going to get sued for my Nvidia Shield boxes??  I've even bought a few low end android boxes in the past and learned a lot.  Nothing was pre-loaded from Canada Computers, nor was I offered advice.  Come and get me. What a crock.   

March 4, 2021 1:44 pm  #5

We should be suing Super Channel for wasting valuable bandwidth with a channel that no one watches, never mind people with Android boxes.

May 3, 2021 5:48 pm  #6

An Alberta judge has rejected the case made by Super Channel parent company...

Canadian Press article from The Star.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2021/05/03/alberta-judge-rejects-super-channel-parents-request-to-block-sale-of-set-top-boxes.html

May 3, 2021 6:24 pm  #7

Super Channel hasn’t been the same since the original Superchannel signed on with First Choice and C Channel in 1983 when both First Choice and Superchannel premiered their services with “Star Wars” from 1977.   That Superchannel and First Choice eventually merged as First Choice/Superchannel then changed the name to The Movie Network.    Today it’s known as Crave for the premiere movies and Starz for the classic movies.   There is a Super Channel back on but it’s nothing to do with the original Superchannel.   Whew!

May 3, 2021 7:02 pm  #8

When Rogers offered Super Channel free for 6 months I never bothered with it.
(I never ordered it. They threw it at me forcefully "it's free...enjoy!")
If they can't get me to watch it for free what on god's green earth makes them think I'm going to want to pay for it?  
It's a waste of space on my digital box and I wish it would just go away. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 3, 2021 7:26 pm  #9

djwildbill wrote:

Super Channel hasn’t been the same since the original Superchannel signed on with First Choice and C Channel in 1983 when both First Choice and Superchannel premiered their services with “Star Wars” from 1977. That Superchannel and First Choice eventually merged as First Choice/Superchannel then changed the name to The Movie Network. Today it’s known as Crave for the premiere movies and Starz for the classic movies. There is a Super Channel back on but it’s nothing to do with the original Superchannel. Whew!

I remember February 1983 very well...  both First Choice and Superchannel were 24 hour, national beams...  I always kinda preferred Superchannel over First Choice.  C Channel started their schedule later in the day...  The launch special for C Channel was "Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" from either the New York or L.A. run... (it had Angela Lansbury in it).  Sadly C Channel folded 6 months or 7 months after launch....

May 4, 2021 10:28 am  #10

I'm of 2 minds on this..   If you are using an android box for legal/paid services... no problem!   

If you are buying this to avoid paying cable services to get channels who charge per subscriber like Super Channel, then yes!   I have an issue and feel Super Channel has a right to protect their content that is being offered without being paid for.

Super Channel instead of going after the sellers of Android boxes, should be going after the people offering their services illegally.    The boxes are not the issue.... The illegal service providers and app providers to android boxes that offer content that is not paid for is the issue.        

Every channel but over the air channels get a per subscriber fee back to the broadcaster.    You may not agree with the rate, but it's their content... they can charge what they want.   You don't have to subscribe if you don't agree, but you don't have a right to take/steel channels/content because you don't agree.   

Last edited by radiokid (May 4, 2021 10:33 am)