sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 2, 2021 2:38 pm  #1

Illegal TV network broadcast in Northern Ontario in '70s

I wonder what happened to it?

https://www.cbc.ca/archives/the-illegal-tv-network-in-northern-ontario-that-tried-to-go-legit-1.5017396

Last edited by Dale Patterson (May 2, 2021 2:39 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 2, 2021 5:57 pm  #2

Re: Illegal TV network broadcast in Northern Ontario in '70s

Anyone notice in the segment, the show he's recording was Trouble with Tracy .

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

May 2, 2021 7:18 pm  #3

I hope he hung on to it as CTV has gone on record that no episodes of Trouble with Tracy survive. The 2" master tapes were all junked

May 2, 2021 8:25 pm  #4

David Brough, the subject of this story, became one of the pioneers of the C-Band satellite industry, those big dishes that pulled in a ton of signals from the U.S. in the 80s before the big guys like HBO and Showtime started scrambling their uplinks. I remember hearing about his exploits long before I got my C-Band dish, which alas, is now fairly passé.

But when he managed to get one of those huge dishes set up in these small towns, which I think he did years after this story was aired, it was a major game changer. And ironically, for a time, the one channel cities wound up with more TV choice than anyone in big media markets like Toronto or Montreal. 

Those certainly were fun days!

If you've ever wondered what was up there, here's the complete list of the C-Band satellites that were available in the summer of 1984. Galaxy 1 was probably the most popular, because it was home to HBO and Showtime. But check out the Canadian Anik satellites to see what was uplinked from here to North America.