sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 30, 2021 11:10 pm  #1

Format switch for 98.5 the Jewel??

The Jewel in Ottawa has been promoting a major announcement this Monday.  Has anyone heard anything or have ideas of what it could be?

May 1, 2021 7:20 pm  #2

Re: Format switch for 98.5 the Jewel??

Here in London, we get Jewel 92.1 from Brantford. Will it be flipping too? That would be bad news.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

May 1, 2021 9:31 pm  #3

turkeytop wrote:

Here in London, we get Jewel 92.1 from Brantford. Will it be flipping too? That would be bad news.

Jewel 92.1 is pretty popular and likely makes money for Evanov, so it is likely just be the Ottawa Jewel that is changing format.  Ottawa is a very competitive radio market with lots of stations so it will be interesting to see what happens with the announcement on Monday.

May 1, 2021 11:31 pm  #4

torontostan wrote:

If it's anything like Evanov's other moves, they're probably selling! But seriously... I bet a format flip and rebrand to something like Boom. 

Boom could use a bit of a rebrand, and expanding their music library would be the place to start.

Might check Jewel out, another choice is (almost) never a bad thing.

May 2, 2021 12:14 am  #5

Maybe the Ottawa studio building is up for sale (again)...  ?

Remember a few years ago... "a unique opportunity to own a prestigious address in Ottawa's Byward  area, once a former steakhouse..." 

Hopefully, the weeds have been cleared from the front facade....

May 2, 2021 12:45 pm  #6

The Jewel existed and expanded due to it being a personal favourite of the late Mr Evanov. It's been a ratings-dweller everywhere except Brantford, where it's coasting on CKPC's momentum. 

Halifax's Jewel will be gone within weeks since its sale was recently approved, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're bailing on Ottawa too.

Having said that, "Big announcement next week" is almost never format changes. Those....just happen. If you're teasing something to the existing audience, it's something they are likely to enjoy.

May 2, 2021 12:55 pm  #7

betaylored wrote:

torontostan wrote:

If it's anything like Evanov's other moves, they're probably selling! But seriously... I bet a format flip and rebrand to something like Boom. 

Boom could use a bit of a rebrand, and expanding their music library would be the place to start.

The Boom format is probably the hardest to run with the non-hit regulations. Hard to run Classic "Hits" when the CRTC dictates that every second song needs to be a dud.

Boom in Ottawa have done a good job at keeping their hits relatively fresh, but it's the non-hits that will burn through repetition. There's simply nothing to replace them with.

May 2, 2021 1:13 pm  #8

And here it is:

https://lite985.ca/

May 2, 2021 1:27 pm  #9

Hope they don't also "Lite-n" up in Newmarket. Where would I turn for Roger Ashby's show that I wouldn't have to tune in online? (For the record, CKDO Oshawa's FM repeater doesn't make to where I am and the noise on 1580 makes it almost impossible to listen to.)

And yet if the numbers are good enough, I suppose they could still change formats and keep it as a special weekend feature. 

As for the change in Ottawa, I'm not familiar enough with that market to comment, but looking at the playlist on the new site, it doesn't appear to be anything that other stations wouldn't play. So at first glance my reaction would be, "meh."

May 2, 2021 1:44 pm  #10

Are we listening to the new format though?  All of the id's on air are still saying Jewel, and all of the music I have looked at on the playlist Jewel in Brantford would play.  The only thing I can see that has changed is the website.  Jewel's current slogan is "Playing Light Favourites for Ottawa/Gatineau"...isn't that what is on right now?

May 2, 2021 1:44 pm  #11

The playlist on the new site is generated from what's playing now while it's still The Jewel, so it's not an indication of whether there will be a music tweak. If there isn't, this is pointless as the playlist is far too old and about 3x too large.

The new site still lists Ashby's show, so looks like no risk if they re-brand Newmarket too.

May 2, 2021 1:44 pm  #12

paterson1 wrote:

Are we listening to the new format though?  All of the id's on air are still saying Jewel, and all of the music I have looked at on the playlist Jewel in Brantford would play.  The only thing I can see that has changed is the website.  Jewel's current slogan is "Playing Light Favourites for Ottawa/Gatineau"...isn't that what is on right now?

No; the re-brand happens tomorrow, but the new site is active a day early.

Last edited by RadioAaron (May 2, 2021 1:45 pm)

May 2, 2021 1:55 pm  #13

Well, that certainly explains the playlist I saw. It didn't appear to be much of a change. I wonder what will constitute "Lite" Favourites? How much different will it be from what's already in the market?

May 2, 2021 2:29 pm  #14

So, it sounds like the new Lite 98.5 will be more of a Breeze format?  Much tighter playlist but more current or recent gold.  With more recent gold meaning in the last 25 years or so?

May 2, 2021 5:00 pm  #15

RadioAaron wrote:

And here it is:

https://lite985.ca/

"The Lite 98.5 format is unlike any other. Our playlist combines the widest variety of “Lite Favourites ” from the late 70s to early 90s with only the Top Hits of today. The Lite Library is one of the largest in the Country and specifically designed to attract the 45+ demographic. The Lite sound is “Lite“, not necessarily in tempo, but rather in the overall sound and impact of the music."

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 2, 2021 5:42 pm  #16

CHSV (Jewel) FM IS NOW LITE 106.7 also.

May 2, 2021 5:44 pm  #17

paterson1 wrote:

So, it sounds like the new Lite 98.5 will be more of a Breeze format?  Much tighter playlist but more current or recent gold.  With more recent gold meaning in the last 25 years or so?

Based on the description RW posted above, no real change. They are #15 45-54 and #17 in anglophone sales demos, behind a french rock station.

May 2, 2021 6:13 pm  #18

Radiowiz wrote:

CHSV (Jewel) FM IS NOW LITE 106.7 also.

And the Hawksbury and Rockland Jewel stations are becoming Hot Country.

May 2, 2021 8:51 pm  #19

paterson1 wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

Jewel 92.1 is pretty popular and likely makes money for Evanov, so it is likely just be the Ottawa Jewel that is changing format.  Ottawa is a very competitive radio market with lots of stations so it will be interesting to see what happens with the announcement on Monday.

Why is it that stations in a competitive market,  instead of seeking out their own niche, just want to sound like every other station in their market?

Before retirement, my job took me into the Detroit Windsor area on a regular basis,. There was a Detroit station WVMV on 98.7. With their smooth jazz format, they had a limited but very loyal audience. There was no competition at all for that group of listeners.

About ten years ago, they just abruptly flipped in the middle of a Friday to a new teen music format. It didn't work out well for them. They've tried two or three other formats in the intervening years. But they've never recovered the ratings they enjoyed as V98.7

May 2, 2021 9:01 pm  #20

turkeytop wrote:

Before retirement, my job took me into the Detroit Windsor area on a regular basis,. There was a Detroit station WVMV on 98.7. With their smooth jazz format, they had a limited but very loyal audience. There was no competition at all for that group of listeners.

There's a reason there was no competition for that group of listeners -- and you said it: limited audience. Further, the PPM measurement system killed Smooth Jazz, as it turns out the audience was smaller and older than the diaries had indicated. 

In bigger, competitive markets, most advertising is national and based solely on numbers. Smooth Jazz doesn't provide them.

And the reason 98.7's tried multiple formats since then it that major American markets have more stations than there are viable formats, so the bottom 25% flip constantly, hoping to take enough from a dominant station or being first to a new emerging format.

May 2, 2021 9:07 pm  #21

An older audience is an audience with money to spend on products and services the advertisers may want to pitch to us.

Sure, we don't buy bubblegum or salve for our acne. So sell something that does interest us and we'll buy it.

May 2, 2021 9:12 pm  #22

turkeytop wrote:

An older audience is an audience with money to spend on products and services the advertisers may want to pitch to us.

Sure, we don't buy bubblegum or salve for our acne. So sell something that does interest us and we'll buy it.

I completely agree. 55 as the top end of the sales demo is ridiculous. It should be at least 65. But that's not on radio -- that's on advertisers and their agencies. Radio is only providing the demos that their customers are asking for.

But also, you need to understand that Top 40 and other younger formats are not targeting the 'bubblegum and acne' demographic and that they have wide appeal up to people in their late 40s.

As this relates to The Jewel -- good on them on aiming older, but they're not even winning that becuase they insist on a music library in the thousands.

Last edited by RadioAaron (May 2, 2021 9:21 pm)

May 2, 2021 9:35 pm  #23

So, I should stop whining.

The Baby Boom generation had it our way all of our lives. Business clamored to serve us. Politicians pandered to us.We had all the good jobs.

Those party is over now.

Note to self: Get over it. 

May 2, 2021 9:39 pm  #24

turkeytop wrote:

So, I should stop whining.

The Baby Boom generation had it our way all of our lives. Business clamored to serve us. Politicians pandered to us.We had all the good jobs.

Those party is over now.

Note to self: Get over it. 

Please and thank-you.

May 2, 2021 10:28 pm  #25

RadioAaron wrote:

betaylored wrote:

torontostan wrote:

The Boom format is probably the hardest to run with the non-hit regulations. Hard to run Classic "Hits" when the CRTC dictates that every second song needs to be a dud.

Boom in Ottawa have done a good job at keeping their hits relatively fresh, but it's the non-hits that will burn through repetition. There's simply nothing to replace them with.

Why is Ottawa still stuck with the non-hits regs? They disappeared from the rest of the country years ago.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 2, 2021 11:14 pm  #26

turkeytop wrote:

You might have better luck with the American stations.
They're allowed to own up to 60% of a market over there.
This meaning, they have more freedom to deliberately own at least one station that targets an older audience strictly for the purpose of not being a direct threat to sister stations in the same cluster on the radio dial.

May 3, 2021 12:22 am  #27

Radiowiz wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

You might have better luck with the American stations.
They're allowed to own up to 60% of a market over there.
This meaning, they have more freedom to deliberately own at least one station that targets an older audience strictly for the purpose of not being a direct threat to sister stations in the same cluster on the radio dial.

Except, in the U.S. Programming for an "older" audience, is usually right wing, conspiracy theory, talk radio.

In normal times, we spend our winters in the Tampa Bay area.About the only radio I listen to there is NPR.

May 3, 2021 12:22 am  #28

Dale Patterson wrote:

Why is Ottawa still stuck with the non-hits regs? They disappeared from the rest of the country years ago.

To "protect" the french-language stations. If the english stations played too may hits, francophones wouldn't listen to the french stations.

Seriously.

May 3, 2021 12:31 am  #29

paterson1 wrote:

Turns out they're doing exactly a Breeze format. This is precisely the hole in the Ottawa market; perfectly positioned between MOVE 100.3 and Boom 99.7.

Evanov got this one right

The first half-hour:
12:00AMAll Night Long (All Night)Lionel Richie
12:04AMThe SignAce Of Base
12:07AMCome On EileenDexy's Midnight Runners
12:11AMRich GirlDaryl Hall And John Oates
12:14AMWhen I'm With YouSheriff
12:18AMShape Of YouEd Sheeran
12:22AMWaiting For A Girl Like YouForeigner
12:26AMDon't SpeakNo Doubt

May 3, 2021 1:55 am  #30