sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 29, 2021 9:12 am  #1

Ted Woloshyn In Hospital With COVID-19

NT1010 PD Mike Bendixen announced on CFRB Thursday morning that former Saturday talk show host Ted Woloshyn had come down with COVID, was in hospital and was briefly on oxygen. He's said to be recovering and hopes to be home in the next few days. 

I think it's great that they actually noted this, especially since Woloshyn was one of the employees blown out in the big Bell bloodbath earlier this year. Both Bendixen and John Moore called him a member of the "NewsTalk 1010 Family," even though he's not really a member of that family anymore.

Woloshyn has been a mainstay of Toronto radio for many years, and I'm sure all here wish him a speedy recovery.   

April 29, 2021 9:19 am  #2

Re: Ted Woloshyn In Hospital With COVID-19

Thoughts and prayer for "Big Ted Walker" from those days in Peterborough. (early '70's)

April 29, 2021 10:53 am  #3

Sorry to hear this.

I've enjoyed Ted for a long time & miss him on the air.

Best wishes Ted

April 29, 2021 11:21 am  #4

Why was =12pxBendixen announcing this?

April 29, 2021 2:02 pm  #5

For some reason, Moore brought him in to do it. Perhaps the two are friends or perhaps Moore felt station brass should make the announcement. Either way, it was Bendixen who got the job and delivered the news. 

April 29, 2021 2:32 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

For some reason, Moore brought him in to do it. Perhaps the two are friends or perhaps Moore felt station brass should make the announcement.

Yes, I know Bendixen and Woloshyn go "way back" - Bendixen was a Morning Show producer when Woloshyn had that gig on 1010 (in the "CFRB" branding days), I think one of Bendixen's first significant roles with the station. I was trying to put a timeframe to it and found an October 2002 National Post column by Christie Blatchford mentioning "Mr. Bendixen is a lovely fellow and a fine producer at CFRB Radio in Toronto, where I go on air a couple times a day", so that tenure was around 20 years ago, give or take a bit on either side of 20 years. That longtime loyalty was speculation on why Bendixen had Woloshyn in mind to do the 1010 Saturday gig (until this year's Bell cuts trumped that).

Last edited by AspectRatio (April 29, 2021 2:32 pm)

April 29, 2021 8:30 pm  #7

Wishing Ted a good and complete recovery.

As much as Newstalk 1010 has changed a lot in the last few months, some things don't change, and it was a classy move on Mike B's part.

Last edited by betaylored (April 29, 2021 8:33 pm)

April 30, 2021 8:19 am  #8

Now it's a bit clearer why this announcement was made on Thursday - there were rumours going around that Woloshyn had died from the disease. Even those who knew him best weren't sure. The irony is he was supposed to get his COVID shot 48 hours before he was diagnosed. 

Good news is Ted Woloshyn is alive. Bad news is he has COVID-19