sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 29, 2021 10:07 am  #1

Missing half the news on 1010, listener goes missing

As a regular listener on 1010, the loss of the on-the-half-hour news updates is lamentable. My car radio was anchored to CFRB and CJRT. With the pandemic, my journeys are 20 minutes average. That gave me a good chance of hitting one news update. What happens now? I have added CHML to the presets. Now for half the journeys I jump to CHML, miss the half-past ad break, and likely stay on the new station for the rest of the journey. Am I the only one who does this?

April 29, 2021 10:33 am  #2

Re: Missing half the news on 1010, listener goes missing

Ian wrote:

As a regular listener on 1010, the loss of the on-the-half-hour news updates is lamentable. My car radio was anchored to CFRB and CJRT. With the pandemic, my journeys are 20 minutes average. That gave me a good chance of hitting one news update. What happens now? I have added CHML to the presets. Now for half the journeys I jump to CHML, miss the half-past ad break, and likely stay on the new station for the rest of the journey. Am I the only one who does this?

Nope. I frequently find myself switching to 680 for an update on the half hour, especially if there's a breaking story I'd like to hear more about. It's not like they've replaced the newscast with programming - just more commercials. Not quite the best way to retain an audience.

April 29, 2021 10:34 am  #3

CHML is great for news. So is CJBQ

April 29, 2021 11:06 am  #4

If I was the program director at CFRB, I would be applying immense pressure and moral suasion to the grey men at Bell Media to fix the gap. Or have the locked-in listeners already found that the grass is greener elsewhere. Surely the CTV news arm can work up one short news cast every half hour. Can someone tell me if this is Global does it for CHML?

April 29, 2021 1:48 pm  #5

Ian wrote:

If I was the program director at CFRB, I would be applying immense pressure and moral suasion to the grey men at Bell Media to fix the gap. Or have the locked-in listeners already found that the grass is greener elsewhere. Surely the CTV news arm can work up one short news cast every half hour.

CFRB is a waste of electricity now. Feel free to check out AM 640 & Other fine talk radio stations that are not owned by Bell.  900 CHML is also a good choice. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 29, 2021 7:15 pm  #6

In my humble opinion, Bell should just end the agony and rebrand NT1010 to CTV Talk Radio Toronto or something like that akin to GNR640.  It appears that "news" is no longer in the mandate of the radio station.

Last edited by JackofAll (April 29, 2021 7:16 pm)

April 29, 2021 7:29 pm  #7

JackofAll wrote:

In my humble opinion, Bell should just end the agony and rebrand NT1010 to CTV Talk Radio Toronto or something like that akin to GNR640.  It appears that "news" is no longer in the mandate of the radio station.

I think they'll be quicker to call it iHeart talk radio 1010 or something along those lines...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 29, 2021 8:38 pm  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

Ian wrote:

If I was the program director at CFRB, I would be applying immense pressure and moral suasion to the grey men at Bell Media to fix the gap. Or have the locked-in listeners already found that the grass is greener elsewhere. Surely the CTV news arm can work up one short news cast every half hour.

CFRB is a waste of electricity now. Feel free to check out AM 640 & Other fine talk radio stations that are not owned by Bell.  900 CHML is also a good choice. 

I'm pretty sure I noticed a few weeks ago during the morning show on 640 there's no longer a newsbreak at the bottom of the hour. Tough on listeners, and tough on Staff re: his faster than lightning cig breaks.