sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 28, 2021 1:44 am  #1

John Roberts Retracts False Claim After Other Outlets Fact Check Him

A day after John (JD) Roberts pushed a false story about the US government coming to take your meat, he was forced to retract the story and apologize after he was fact checked by other media.  Does this hurt his credibility or does he have any considering who he works for?

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/04/26/fox-host-concedes-the-biden-meat-ban-story-was-wrong/

April 28, 2021 2:38 am  #2

Re: John Roberts Retracts False Claim After Other Outlets Fact Check Him

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 28, 2021 10:55 am  #3

Bentwater wrote:

I saw his segment.  I pondered whether he and Carlson used the same script.  It was disgraceful and disappointing.  He's back to JD Roberts in my books. 

I liked the JD Roberts of The New Music era .. 

Now I wonder if he's really a Canadian .. 

April 28, 2021 2:10 pm  #4

John better be careful or he will be back doing all nights (voice tracked of course) playing the Bee Gees again.  Hard to believe he would actually report on something like this.  

April 28, 2021 2:14 pm  #5

It's interesting that the story is from former Toronto Star reporter Daniel Dale - and that it originated from CNN. 

April 28, 2021 4:09 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

It's interesting that the story is from former Toronto Star reporter Daniel Dale - and that it originated from CNN. 

Dale's been doing a decent job ferreting out bullshit.

April 28, 2021 4:24 pm  #7

Bentwater wrote:

Did JD work at CHUM News or was he strictly a DJ at CHUM?

From what I recall he worked up to more highly-regarded journalism when he moved to CTV, where he put up with Pamela Wallin for a while. Then he grabbed the gold ring with CNN. Then he Thelma and Louise'd it off a professional cliff when he moved to Fox.

April 28, 2021 4:45 pm  #8

As I recall, he was only a jock at CHUM. His TV career began at The New Music at CHUM-owned City TV, later joining CityPulse Tonight as the anchor of its late evening news, which in those days aired at 10 PM. After a few years of doing that, he obviously impressed somebody down south and he left to become the anchor for WCIX, at the time the CBS affiliate in Miami. 

IIRC, he came back to CTV for a while, but moved back to the U.S. in the early 90s, where CBS obviously remembered him and hired him as a reporter/anchor. He finally snagged the most prestigious position in the U.S. TV network news orbit - White House correspondent. 

But when Dan Rather was dumped by CBS as the main anchor, I've heard from several sources that JD (now John) was bitterly disappointed that he wasn't offered the top prize. So he left for CNN. After that, it was over to Fox, where he eventually returned to the White House beat, and remained until Biden won the presidency. He now anchors for the Rupert Murdoch network.  

Quite a journey for a guy whose career started in small Ontario stations like CFOS, CHYM and CJBK.

April 28, 2021 5:07 pm  #9

Chrisphen wrote:

Bentwater wrote:

Did JD work at CHUM News or was he strictly a DJ at CHUM?

From what I recall he worked up to more highly-regarded journalism when he moved to CTV, where he put up with Pamela Wallin for a while. Then he grabbed the gold ring with CNN. Then he Thelma and Louise'd it off a professional cliff when he moved to Fox.

I don't think JD was on Canada AM for all that long; Keith Morrison replaced him later in 1992.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (April 28, 2021 5:09 pm)

April 28, 2021 5:18 pm  #10

There's something in the bottled water at Faux News.