sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 27, 2021 1:57 pm  #1

$10 ?? Jesus H Christ !!

Watching the CBC News channel currently & on their crawler is the following...

"Canada gives $10 to India's Red Cross to help combat COVID"

Once o.k. - twice not good but this was onscreen for 30 minutes

Then finally someone added an "M" to the 10 to have it read properly.

Wake the hell up  

April 27, 2021 2:13 pm  #2

Re: $10 ?? Jesus H Christ !!

As someone who once did graphics on TV news, I can see how this could easily go unnoticed for so long. You're so busy doing other things, that the text you put in the crawl is something you rarely get a second chance to proof read. There's always something else to do. So it's important you get it right the first time. 

At one time in the early days, I was the only one who could enter this stuff. But then when the entire newsroom was computerized, anyone could enter in anything. The problem? Not everyone is careful enough. I used to catch dozens of mistakes editors would put in when listing keys or supers before they went to air. What was meant to streamline the system only made it harder on me, and I hated it when they went to that system. 

Still, someone should have caught this sooner. The ironic part of doing live TV is that too often, people are so busy making it happen, they're not always watching it!

Ten dollars to India? That's only $8.07 U.S.! 

April 27, 2021 2:34 pm  #3

I find CBC can be very slow to correct errors, particularly on their website. I've submitted many errors to them over the years over some very obvious mistakes, and they either never got corrected or it takes hours.

April 27, 2021 3:12 pm  #4

I've been trying to get Google to change their incorrect spelling of my street name on their maps. Four years and several attempts later. I even included photos of the street sign. A promise of review is all that happens. LOL.

April 27, 2021 6:26 pm  #5

The whole world has been going for a 13 month shit and this is what upsets you? 

April 27, 2021 6:34 pm  #6

torontostan wrote:

You could fill a dictionary with the amount of errors on CP24 any given day. Always spelling/grammar/factual errors in their crawl (box) thing too. 

I have noticed errors on all of them including CNN.  They are the best at correcting an error or spelling mistake and CP24 the worst and slowest.

I like CP24 but I have seen crawls that talk about a community or political event that was going to happen this morning or at noon hour.  This graphic is obviously from the morning show but the problem is, it is still running with newer stories at 4:30 in the afternoon.  

BBC World News as expected doesn't have a lot of errors but when they do headlines at the bottom of the screen, they have maybe eight of them and repeat them over and over. These are not long headlines, often only one sentence but they seem to repeat every minute or less.  Same with business highlights or sports.  Only show a few graphics and these keep coming up for a long time after the brief news headlines.

CNN by far gives the most detail, and I put that down to that they actually don't cover that many different stories on air during the day so rely more on their crawl for the other news stories. CNN actually only does "newscasts" all night and early morning.