sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 22, 2021 10:36 am  #1

Doug Ford & The Media's Remarkable Press Conference

Wow. In all the years I've been listening to press conferences, I don't think I've ever heard one as nasty and hostile as the one involving Doug Ford on Thursday morning. Both the province and the feds have a lot to answer for in their handling of the pandemic (although the feds almost never seem to get much attention, as I see it.)

But boy, did the press go after Ford, openly accusing him of incompetence, asking him why he was sorry, holding him responsible for the third wave, and hinting he should resign. Usually reporters sort of hold their hostility. This time it was on full display and they opened up on him with both barrels. It was almost like everyone was from CNN and Doug Ford was Donald Trump!

Whatever side of the political spectrum you're on, it was certainly a very entertaining half hour of questions and answers. I just wish the journalists were equally as hard on the guys and gals in Ottawa, who have had their own parts to play in this ongoing tragedy. Sadly, I don't expect to see that happen. But man, would that be interesting to hear, as well!

April 22, 2021 11:04 am  #2

Re: Doug Ford & The Media's Remarkable Press Conference

"These are not smart people, and things got out of hand."

April 22, 2021 11:39 am  #3

Has a sitting Ontario premier ever cried on live television before?

I remember Trudeau crying once, but it was over the death of Gord Downie.

April 22, 2021 12:09 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I just wish the journalists were equally as hard on the guys and gals in Ottawa, who have had their own parts to play in this ongoing tragedy. Sadly, I don't expect to see that happen. But man, would that be interesting to hear, as well!

At the risk of setting off a political argument: 

If it were a Liberal government running the province, Ontario reporters would not have attacked them, Just like they were never really taken to task during their 15 years of disastrous rule.  

At least the current Premiere had the balls to admit he was wrong.  I dare say those words will never come of the current Prime Minister, just like they came from the previous two Premiers.  

April 22, 2021 12:43 pm  #5

Both levels of government are to blame, but I would have to agree with you - Justin has never been as hostilely questioned as Ford was on Thursday. I would love to see what would happen if reporters directed as pointed queries to him. It would be fascinating to watch, even if you'd never get a straight answer out of the ex-drama teacher.

April 22, 2021 1:24 pm  #6

Justin trudeau has been on a apology tour for awhile and even after today whats going to be the change in ontario?  The now new India variant is coming and the result is "we will see if we will close the flights to here from India"...not good and the actions are slow.  This is far more serious than the playground idea was and that was QUICKLY done.   Also, if the Police says "ya...no we arent going to be enforcing stopping people" then who will really listen? 

April 22, 2021 1:45 pm  #7

Of course this is turning political. How could it not? My purpose in posting it, though, was to note the incredible animosity of every single reporter at that presser. I can't recall anything like it in recent memory. They clearly had it in for Ford, and he deserved a lot of the criticism.

I'd love to have that same pressure applied to all levels of government. Part of the media's job is to keep leaders accountable and as a longtime news guy, I'd just like to see it being applied equally. 

April 22, 2021 3:11 pm  #8

In my humble opinion, the Toronto news media has been bungling the COVID story as much if not more than government.  I am appalled at the childish and ridiculous questions and constant finger pointing from these supposed professional journalists. 

They wallow in who has been missed, or under represented, dwell on conflict and give too much airtime to those who feel inconvenienced or have an axe to grind. And lets bring in another representative from the teachers union to complain about class sizes again. 

Watching the news from other centres like Detroit, KW, London, Windsor and none of these other cities have near the anger, confusion or conflict that seems to linger in the coverage from Toronto media.  Michigan has a population of 10 million compared to Ontario with 15 million.  They also have had over 18,000 COVID deaths compared to Ontario with 7,829, and right now more people hospitalized and really sick in ICU than we have here. 

Detroit news naturally covers the story and relays the problems and then moves on.  Here Toronto media will go on for 10-15 minutes every day with accusations, finger pointing and the childish routine of trying to trip up politicians.  To me at least this is so bush league and is only confusing and alarming the public. 

Running through all of this it is always Doug Ford's fault and the incompetence of the conservatives.  Very little about why Canada is still accepting international flights from real hot spots like India, South Africa and Brazil, when other countries have essentially banned them.

Also why is Canada the only country in the world that currently has a gap of 16 weeks until the second vaccine?  What proof does the government have that this is either safe or effective?  Why does Pfizer recommend 3 to 6 weeks for the second dose?  The federal government is also musing about mixing the brand of the second dose.  What evidence do we have that this is alright to do?  Are any other countries looking at doing this? 

Why is our media not pressing the federal government on these questions, which effects millions of Canadians and could determine how well the vaccines will actually work against COVID.   But they seem to be more concerned trying to make Doug Ford look bad and wonder if he will change his mind about golf courses...our news media needs to grow up in my opinion..

April 22, 2021 3:31 pm  #9

RA, Peter the K, Maybo and patterson1:
 👍       👍             👍               👍

Last edited by Media Observer (April 22, 2021 4:15 pm)

April 22, 2021 3:46 pm  #10

paterson1 wrote:

Running through all of this it is always Doug Ford's fault and the incompetence of the conservatives.  Very little about why Canada is still accepting international flights from real hot spots like India, South Africa and Brazil, when other countries have essentially banned them.

Also why is Canada the only country in the world that currently has a gap of 16 weeks until the second vaccine?  What proof does the government have that this is either safe or effective?  Why does Pfizer recommend 3 to 6 weeks for the second dose?  The federal government is also musing about mixing the brand of the second dose.  What evidence do we have that this is alright to do?  Are any other countries looking at doing this? 

Why is our media not pressing the federal government on these questions, which effects millions of Canadians and could determine how well the vaccines will actually work against COVID.   But they seem to be more concerned trying to make Doug Ford look bad and wonder if he will change his mind about golf courses...our news media needs to grow up in my opinion..

Well, it finally happened - you and I actually 100% agree on something! It had to happen eventually. I have been asking what proof there is about the 4 month(!) interval between COVID shots since they first changed the policy and have come to only one conclusion - it's all political to make sure a certain unnamed federal leader can keep his promise of everyone being vaccinated by Sept. (which in itself is far too late) so he can use that come election time. 

There just doesn't seem to be any other logical explanation for a policy no other country on Earth is doing. More questions need to be asked about this, but they rarely are. Shameful to play with the health of Canadians that way. 

The closing down of flights from hot spot areas is a no-brainer. It's not about bigotry - I'd say the same thing if it was Australia, the U.S. or Iceland. But you-know-who doesn't want to look bad, so again, he chooses the politics of appearances over protecting Canadians - his only real job. 

It's clear making Ford the boogeyman is a way to distract and distort some of the reporting. A perfect example of this appeared the night it was announced that the Premier was quarantining because of possible COVID exposure. While every other media outlet reported that Ford was isolating, the Toronto Star chose to repeatedly report that Doug Ford was in "seclusion."  

I would argue that's a very loaded word and is far different from "isolated." Seclusion isn't a word that's ever been used before for anyone during the COVID era. It has a sinister feel of hiding away and avoiding public scrutiny to it and don't think it wasn't chosen for that very reason. 

All I'm saying is criticize Ford for everything he's done. He's earned it. But use that same measuring stick for Trudeau, Tory or whoever else is in the middle of this mess. Fair coverage. It doesn't seem like a lot to ask. It does, however, not seem to be what we're getting.  

Now about the way you feel regarding Canadian content...

April 22, 2021 4:25 pm  #11

paterson1 wrote:

In my humble opinion, the Toronto news media has been bungling the COVID story as much if not more than government.  I am appalled at the childish and ridiculous questions and constant finger pointing from these supposed professional journalists. 

They wallow in who has been missed, or under represented, dwell on conflict and give too much airtime to those who feel inconvenienced or have an axe to grind. And lets bring in another representative from the teachers union to complain about class sizes again. 

Watching the news from other centres like Detroit, KW, London, Windsor and none of these other cities have near the anger, confusion or conflict that seems to linger in the coverage from Toronto media.  Michigan has a population of 10 million compared to Ontario with 15 million.  They also have had over 18,000 COVID deaths compared to Ontario with 7,829, and right now more people hospitalized and really sick in ICU than we have here. 

Detroit news naturally covers the story and relays the problems and then moves on.  Here Toronto media will go on for 10-15 minutes every day with accusations, finger pointing and the childish routine of trying to trip up politicians.  To me at least this is so bush league and is only confusing and alarming the public. 

I have to admit, CTV has been covering Covid far more heavily than other networks, both on TV and online, although Global and CBC also dedicate a large amount of time to it as well. CTV, more than other outlets, seems more heavily focused on day-to-day case counts and doesn't look at the big picture as much as the other two. CTV seems to use a lot of click-bait headlines, using language like "BREAKING NEWS" and "spike" to describe one-day case reports. CBC is more big-picture and doesn't use that kind of language as much.

On the west coast I occasionally catch the first part of one of the Seattle newscasts. The NBC affiliate (KING) usually covers the Covid situation in Washington State in the first few minutes but then they move on to other news. They put out a decent product.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (April 22, 2021 4:26 pm)

April 22, 2021 5:31 pm  #12

I’m sorry, but Doug Ford has been a complete disaster, and has surely cost some unnecessary deaths because of his bumbling incompetence. It’s good that the press are being tough. Ontarians are fed up with this doofus, and have to put up with him for another year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/04/18/ontario-covid-lockdown-doug-ford-canada/

April 22, 2021 5:48 pm  #13

I don't think that's what most of us are saying. We don't mind them being tough on Ford. We just wish they'd be as tough on all the politicians, federal, provincial or otherwise. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. 

April 22, 2021 5:53 pm  #14

Yes I agree MJ, I am finding locally in Toronto at least, it is CTV/CP24, City and to a lesser extent Global that seem to be focused more on individuals and groups with their grievances and complaints against the provincial government.  CBC TV with the exception with one of their Toronto reporters is usually taking a somewhat bigger picture view.   But all are giving the COVID situation as much airtime as they were a year ago, and have for months. 

You live on the west coast, I am wondering if the National on CBC and CTV National News are customized or changed somewhat for western viewers, or is it the same cast that we see?  CBC Radio would alter newscasts as they went across the different time zones.  The World at Eight was done separately 5 times and highlighted different local stories for each province.  All the big news items were the same.

I have noticed that both CBC and CTV national newscasts seem very Ontario/Quebec focused especially regarding COVID but I don't know if the cast is exactly the same at 10 or 11pm in Vancouver or Calgary.  I hope they do localize these newscasts a little with less emphasis on Toronto and Ontario/Quebec. 

RA, we likely agree on a few more things.  We should never be afraid to criticize or question entrenched opinions and positions from either the left or right.  Always based on facts and honest information rather than emotion and bias.   No person, government, media or political party is always correct or right about everything, but just as important, they are not always wrong either.

April 22, 2021 5:55 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

I don't think that's what most of us are saying. We don't mind them being tough on Ford. We just wish they'd be as tough on all the politicians, federal, provincial or otherwise. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. 

I think it’s a false equivalence. All things considered Trudeau has not been great, and overpromised on early vaccine delivery. That said, he’s been competent. You can’t say the same thing about Doug Ford. The Premiere of Canada’s biggest country can’t even use a computer. It’s pathetic.

April 22, 2021 6:13 pm  #16

I believe Doug Ford is done and finished. It's not some NDP pipe dream either.
NDP or Liberal may be what I personally prefer, however,
in June of 2022 the new Premier just might be Jim Karahalios, leader of the New Blue Party. 
It will most likely be a minority government no matter who wins regardless of what I think anyway.

NEW BLUE PARTY:  https://www.newblueontario.com/ 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 22, 2021 6:53 pm  #17

RadioActive wrote:

Both levels of government are to blame, but I would have to agree with you - Justin has never been as hostilely questioned as Ford was on Thursday. I would love to see what would happen if reporters directed as pointed queries to him. It would be fascinating to watch, even if you'd never get a straight answer out of the ex-drama teacher.

It's interesting to me that some more right-leaning folks call the PM "Justin" and the Premier "Ford" or "Doug Ford." I can't recall any other Prime Minister being referred to by his first name like that.

April 22, 2021 7:14 pm  #18

Obviously I have too much time on my hands but here is a comparison of COVID coverage this evening on TV.  Today Ontario had 3,682 new COVID cases and 40 deaths.  Michigan had 5,511 new cases and 121 deaths.  Not a good day in either Ontario or Michigan.

Monitoring various newscasts 6pm tonight with minutes of COVID coverage as the lead story
CTV Kitchener- 11 minutes (lead story went to 6:11)
CTV London- 19 minutes
CHCH Hamilton- 20 minutes
CBC Toronto- 19 minutes
City TV- 19 minutes and back again at 6:24 with another COVID story
Global- 20 minutes        Global National at 6:30pm- 9 minutes

Local 4 News NBC Detroit at 6pm lead story- 4 minutes
7 Action News ABC- 2:30 minutes lead story
FOX 2 News- 6 minutes lead story
Local CBS Detroit- No local news

CBS 6:30 network news- 6 minutes lead story
NBC network news- 4 minutes lead story
ABC network news- Second story approx 3:50 in length

No comment on this, just an observation at the difference in the amount of time given to COVID today supper hour newscasts here and in Michigan.  It is striking that the difference is so much on the local newscasts however.  

April 22, 2021 7:15 pm  #19

paterson1 wrote:

Yes I agree MJ, I am finding locally in Toronto at least, it is CTV/CP24, City and to a lesser extent Global that seem to be focused more on individuals and groups with their grievances and complaints against the provincial government.  CBC TV with the exception with one of their Toronto reporters is usually taking a somewhat bigger picture view.   But all are giving the COVID situation as much airtime as they were a year ago, and have for months. 

You live on the west coast, I am wondering if the National on CBC and CTV National News are customized or changed somewhat for western viewers, or is it the same cast that we see?  CBC Radio would alter newscasts as they went across the different time zones.  The World at Eight was done separately 5 times and highlighted different local stories for each province.  All the big news items were the same.

I have noticed that both CBC and CTV national newscasts seem very Ontario/Quebec focused especially regarding COVID but I don't know if the cast is exactly the same at 10 or 11pm in Vancouver or Calgary.  I hope they do localize these newscasts a little with less emphasis on Toronto and Ontario/Quebec. 

World Report on CBC Radio here tends to include a lot more Alberta and BC news than what I remember when I lived in Southern Ontario, so I assume they are still using the same model you're describing.

I have almost entirely tuned out Canadian news on TV and radio in the past few weeks so I'm not sure what it's like right now; I've been mostly looking at their websites and also seeing some video from the various local newscasts here. When I was still watching local news here, I was watching mostly Global and it was definitely the best of the bunch, but then again Global BC is a much more serious "hard" newscast than what Global puts out in Toronto (e.g. no ET Canada segments). The local CTV here isn't quite as sensationalistic as in Toronto (they don't have a CP24), but I find online half the time their top story is that the province is going to announce the day's Covid data later in the day. Out of all the news they could emphasize on any given day, that's what they lead with. I barely go to their website anymore.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (April 22, 2021 7:18 pm)

April 22, 2021 7:26 pm  #20

Holliday wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I think it’s a false equivalence. All things considered Trudeau has not been great, and overpromised on early vaccine delivery. That said, he’s been competent. You can’t say the same thing about Doug Ford. The Premiere of Canada’s biggest country can’t even use a computer. It’s pathetic.

I just want the press to be equally tough on all of them. But the treatment and coverage are not equal, and that's what bugs me - and others here, too. I would love to see the P.M. grilled in the same way with the same type of hostile and frankly angry questions that greeted Ford today. Trudeau is very thin-skinned and narcissistic and penetrating that ego with difficult questions may be the only way to rattle him and get him off his talking points and actually answer a damn question.

Reporters need to go after all of them or they're not doing their jobs.

April 23, 2021 10:11 am  #21

Perfect example this morning of CTV’s news priorities versus the others - at least online, the top story for both CBC and Global is the Jonathan Vance accusations. CTV’s is that the federal government is going to release new modelling for the pandemic later today.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (April 23, 2021 10:11 am)

April 23, 2021 12:04 pm  #22

Journalists used to pride themselves on not showing their political leanings in their work. Now it seems the opposite is true. It shouldn't. I witnessed open cheering for the Liberals on election night from the supposed "honest, unbiased and unflinchingly fair" news organization I used to work for. The old maxim of "no cheering in the press box" seems to have been revoked.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (April 23, 2021 12:05 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 23, 2021 12:34 pm  #23

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

It's interesting to me that some more right-leaning folks call the PM "Justin" and the Premier "Ford" or "Doug Ford." I can't recall any other Prime Minister being referred to by his first name like that.

The media is dazzled by his famous last name and his supposed good looks. Just like the people who vote for him. Style means more to a lot of people than substance.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 23, 2021 12:47 pm  #24

Yes the media should hold the government accountable and have them justify their actions.  However too many in Toronto media make it personal and too much about Doug Ford.  It is obvious some don't like the premier and always focus on him and sometimes petty situations which to me is wrong and not necessary.

The news conference yesterday was an embarrassment more for some in media as much as the provincial government.  And it is always the Ford government or the Ford conservatives when reporting on the provincial government.   This aggressive style of gotcha reporting is not serving the public but does build up a few egos in media.

I agree that the federal liberals seem to be held to a different standard and are treated with more respect and not questioned nearly as aggressively as premier Ford or his government.  Sadly the only exception would be Sun/Post Media who often bring up legitimate and valid questions about the prime minister or liberals.  However they usually blow it with exaggerations or cherry pick the facts which ruins their arguments and makes it harder to take them seriously.  They also tend to get overly personal regarding Trudeau which like Ford is not necessary.

April 23, 2021 5:16 pm  #25

While I agree that Doug Ford unfairly gets a rougher ride than Justin Trudeau, let’s not forget the vitriol the Post, Globe and Mail, 640, 1010 and especially the Toronto Sun spewed in Kathleen Wynne’s direction for the entire time she was in office. That was just as unprofessional as what we saw at Ford’s press conference.

April 23, 2021 5:42 pm  #26

Prod Guy wrote:

While I agree that Doug Ford unfairly gets a rougher ride than Justin Trudeau, let’s not forget the vitriol the Post, Globe and Mail, 640, 1010 and especially the Toronto Sun spewed in Kathleen Wynne’s direction for the entire time she was in office. That was just as unprofessional as what we saw at Ford’s press conference.

I guess it all depends on whether those comments appeared in the Opinion section or the news stories. The opinion guys have a wide latitude in any paper to express their views.

But you should never, ever be able to tell where an actual reporter stands on an issue or a politician. Just the facts, ma'am as Sgt. Joe Friday used to say. Unfortunately, in these polarizing times, it's often impossible not to notice a bias. And to me, a "bias" should be restricted to an adjustment on those old reel-to-reel tape machines! 

April 23, 2021 5:58 pm  #27

Here's a front page and an editorial cartoon after an election debate where the consensus was that she lost..  
https://ibb.co/ftMysVx
https://ibb.co/q750k8f

April 23, 2021 7:12 pm  #28

Editorial cartoonists are allowed wide latitude in what they do, according to the Toronto Star Public Editor Bruce Campion-Smith. (I know this was the Sun, but that's the opinion of the more liberal competitor.)  But there's certainly an argument to be made that it shouldn't have been on their front page. 

April 24, 2021 8:38 am  #29

I think Doug Ford is a good man in a bad position. He's clearly in over his head and should never have been put in this situation. To be fair ( and isn't that the Canadian way?), he was doing the right things early in the lockdown, but the wheels fell off when the vaccines became available. The vaccination website is a disaster, and it seems worse because the guy in charge apparently can't work a computer! The media reaction in the press conference was a reflection of the majority of Ontarians . Frustration. It's true that the Federal Liberals deserve a lot of the blame, but the other provinces are not as bad off as here. 
I am curious if,  after we get out of this Covid nightmare, there will be a push toward separation from Ontario by the city of Toronto. One of the big problems Ford has been facing is from rural MPPs who want everything to return to normal because their ridings are fine. Toronto and the GTA is definitely not fine. It's quite a juggling match for the provincial government. Look what happened when regions around Toronto were open while Toronto was in lockdown. If I'm in Timmins today, I'm wondering why I have to be in a lockdown. 

April 24, 2021 10:58 am  #30

Rune wrote:

I think Doug Ford is a good man in a bad position. He's clearly in over his head and should never have been put in this situation. To be fair ( and isn't that the Canadian way?), he was doing the right things early in the lockdown, but the wheels fell off when the vaccines became available. The vaccination website is a disaster, and it seems worse because the guy in charge apparently can't work a computer! The media reaction in the press conference was a reflection of the majority of Ontarians . Frustration. It's true that the Federal Liberals deserve a lot of the blame, but the other provinces are not as bad off as here. 
I am curious if,  after we get out of this Covid nightmare, there will be a push toward separation from Ontario by the city of Toronto. One of the big problems Ford has been facing is from rural MPPs who want everything to return to normal because their ridings are fine. Toronto and the GTA is definitely not fine. It's quite a juggling match for the provincial government. Look what happened when regions around Toronto were open while Toronto was in lockdown. If I'm in Timmins today, I'm wondering why I have to be in a lockdown. 

Sort of agree and disagree with some of your points Rune. You are correct that basically Doug Ford is a good man and his heart seems to be in the right place.  Apparently he was quite hurt when many in the crowd at the Raptors parade started to boo him when he was introduced.  This didn't happen with either John Tory or Justin Trudeau.  So he is likely a more sensitive person than people think he is.  Is he in over his head?  Yes, but he is not the only politician that is.  Mr. Trudeau is as well, along with a few other premiers and governors in the US.

The website a disaster?  I have family in Ottawa and in that city you use the provincial website to register for the vaccine.  My brother who by no means is a computer whiz told me the site was very easy and worked perfectly for him when he registered.  Many communities like Kitchener/Waterloo/Guelph/Cambridge have a separate website to register with in Waterloo or Wellington county. When I tried to register on the Ontario site, as soon as you mark in where you live, it went directly to the Region of Waterloo site to register.  Doug Ford's computer skills don't matter since he wouldn't be designing the website regardless. That is just another side show for the media that is irrelevant to the public, and an attempt to belittle the premier.

Other provinces not as bad as here?  Quebec has been the worst by far in terms deaths and the situation with nursing home deaths.  You would never know it judging by the news reports, where the focus is always on Doug Ford and Ontario.  Premier Legault and the provincial government in Quebec never gets criticized by the national media for some reason.  

Ontario has 15 million people and Quebec 8.6 million, so far Quebec has had 10,860 COVID deaths and Ontario 7,848.  COVID cases per 100,000 people, Ontario is 7th with Quebec, Alberta and Saskatchewan with higher rates of infection.

You are correct that right now Ontario is having real problems with the third wave and all of the figures are not going the right way.  Is all of this Doug Ford's fault, yes some is, and some is the federal government too which has had problems acquiring vaccines and distribution to the provinces.  But the criticism in media has been unbalanced with most of the comments somewhat personal against Ford and the conservatives in Ontario.  And why is Canada the only country in the world that will wait up to 16 weeks for the second dose?  Why is the media not grilling the federal government about this?

But the news media seems to wallow in everything that the conservatives are doing that supposedly is wrong.  Everything is Doug Ford's fault, judging by many reports.  This to me is not helping anyone and at times media has  been part of the problem adding to confusion, even needlessly alarming the public, all of this mostly in the Toronto area.  It seems like most of the problems and complaints are in  Toronto with the local media dwelling on problems rather than actually serving the public with help during this health crisis.  Also we don't need 19-20 minutes of local television news covering only COVID every evening.  Too much and overdone.
https://covid19tracker.ca/

Last edited by paterson1 (April 24, 2021 11:17 am)