sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 15, 2021 6:26 pm  #1

Ryan Reynolds hints at Mint Mobile Canuck invasion

Today a national reporter with the CBC, Jacqueline Hansen, asked Ryan Reynolds via Twitter for a comment re: today's CRTC news, and Ryan replied with his trademark wit that he may soon have some news to share regarding Mint Mobile's "invasion" of Canada.

If it happens it'll be gin dandy.

Last edited by betaylored (April 15, 2021 6:35 pm)

April 15, 2021 7:07 pm  #2

Re: Ryan Reynolds hints at Mint Mobile Canuck invasion

April 15, 2021 7:12 pm  #3

If Mint comes to Canada, that stampede sound you hear will be thousands, if not millions, galloping away at full speed from Rogers and Bell. Although I'm sure there are penalties for early cancellations, depending on the deal Mint might offer, it could be worth it. If only to send them a message they so richly deserve, 

April 15, 2021 7:26 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

If Mint comes to Canada, that stampede sound you hear will be thousands, if not millions, galloping away at full speed from Rogers and Bell. Although I'm sure there are penalties for early cancellations, depending on the deal Mint might offer, it could be worth it. If only to send them a message they so richly deserve, 

Given that I'm past the 2-year forced stay, and am now on month-to-month, count on me being among the first to jump.

Come to papa!

April 15, 2021 7:32 pm  #5

I deliberately chose Telus as my provider, only because I could not in any conscience go with the other bloated pair of greedmongers. Telus ain't great, either, but at least I can sort sleep at night knowing my money isn't going to the two most hated companies in Canada. 

Based on my most recent dissatisfying contact with them, I would leave Telus in less than a heartbeat. Unlike most people, I'm not a heavy cellphone user as it is. It would be even better to have someplace else to go.

April 17, 2021 2:01 pm  #6

Until Mint Mobile arrives, depending on your cellphone use and data requirements, you might want to check out Chatr.

I've been with them since they were Mobilicity. For 42.00 bucks a month I get unlimited calls and texts Canada wide and 6G high speed data, then unlimited slower speed. We recently got wifi, so it's pretty terrific now.

There are reasonably priced plans with a lot more data coverage, and the service (Chatr is owned by Rogers) is okay with few dropped calls. Don't work for them, but they're cheap and good.

idea for a show segment on Newstalk 1010 and GNR am640: a dedicated interview time and/or roundtable each week with a couple of tech experts to discuss what we can do to protect against computer hacks etc. when using wifi, how the pandemic and computer use is affecting kids and adults, cool apps that are fun and useful, listeners could text questions, even go old school and do calls.

It would also be fantastic if all our radio stations could please give a mention that the Toronto Zoo has a wonderful initiative going to save the gorillas by having people mail their old cellphones to the zoo to raise funds and awareness. 🦍📱🖖😁

Last edited by betaylored (April 17, 2021 2:02 pm)

April 17, 2021 4:50 pm  #7

betaylored wrote:

Until Mint Mobile arrives, depending on your cellphone use and data requirements, you might want to check out Chatr.

I've been with them since they were Mobilicity. For 42.00 bucks a month I get unlimited calls and texts Canada wide and 6G high speed data, then unlimited slower speed. We recently got wifi, so it's pretty terrific now.

There are reasonably priced plans with a lot more data coverage, and the service (Chatr is owned by Rogers) is okay with few dropped calls. Don't work for them, but they're cheap and good.

idea for a show segment on Newstalk 1010 and GNR am640: a dedicated interview time and/or roundtable each week with a couple of tech experts to discuss what we can do to protect against computer hacks etc. when using wifi, how the pandemic and computer use is affecting kids and adults, cool apps that are fun and useful, listeners could text questions, even go old school and do calls.

It would also be fantastic if all our radio stations could please give a mention that the Toronto Zoo has a wonderful initiative going to save the gorillas by having people mail their old cellphones to the zoo to raise funds and awareness. 🦍📱🖖😁

The note about the Zoo accepting cell phones for recycling piqued my interest. I couldn't find any related information on the Zoo's site, but a Google search served the purpose;

https://www.torontozoo.com/tz/phoneapes

April 17, 2021 8:57 pm  #8

betaylored wrote:

They sort of do have a show like this. It's Marc Saltzman's Tech Talk, which deals with a lot of different computer and cell phone related subjects, or anything from the tech world. It airs Sunday nights at 5:00 PM.

April 20, 2021 2:54 am  #9

DeepTracks wrote:

betaylored wrote:

The note about the Zoo accepting cell phones for recycling piqued my interest. I couldn't find any related information on the Zoo's site, but a Google search served the purpose;

https://www.torontozoo.com/tz/phoneapes

Thanks DeepTracks, appreciate it.

April 20, 2021 3:02 am  #10

RadioActive wrote:

betaylored wrote:

They sort of do have a show like this. It's Marc Saltzman's Tech Talk, which deals with a lot of different computer and cell phone related subjects, or anything from the tech world. It airs Sunday nights at 5:00 PM.

Thanks RA, I listened a couple of times years ago and it always seemed like one step away from an infomercial.

On am640 on the morning show, Mike Stafford has David Shipley from Bauceron Security (sp?) on intermittently but it's easy to miss. Carmy Levy does a great job when he's been on-air with Newstalk 1010, but again, it's hit or miss.

Too bad 1010's newsroom is understaffed. This would have made a good week long series. Budget conscious buys for cellphone and laptops, which firewall apps are decent etc.

Last edited by betaylored (April 20, 2021 3:04 am)

April 20, 2021 8:03 am  #11

betaylored wrote:

I'm extremely happy with Rogers cell. One bill is nice. Not two or 3 to worry about, plus deeper discounts all around for a cable/internet/smartphone/landline combo. 

If I switch to chatr I lose my bundle discount, defeating the purpose, raising my cable, internet and landline rates.

Chatr is great though for people who do not pay for cable and maybe already get their internet some other place, since you can't put Chatr on a Rogers internet bill.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 20, 2021 10:27 am  #12

betaylored wrote:

I forgot to mention that GNR640 also has a similar kind of weekend show. There's something called "The App Show" out of CKNW in Vancouver, which deals with exactly that for computers and phones. It airs Saturday nights at 10 pm. 

There's another show called "Get Connected" which is also a Saltzman-like presentation and also out of Vancouver. GNR640 used to air it on weekends, but I'm not sure if they still do. 

I miss Kim Komando, a syndicated American computer-related program that ran for years on CKTB, one of her few Canadian affiliates.  Then Bell came with its cost cutting scythe a month or so ago and she disappeared (as she would say) into "the intergalactic bit bucket."