sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 15, 2021 2:16 pm  #1

CBC-TV Outlines Exhaustive - & Exhausting - Coverage Of Tokyo Olympics

If the COVID-tinged Olympics actually take place this summer, you won't be able to escape them at all on CBC-TV. The network has revealed an almost insane amount of coverage that will involve 23 hours a day of non-stop programming, beginning with the opening on July 23rd until it mercifully ends on August 8th. 

I'm not a fan of the Games and I never watch them, but if you are, there will be no shortage of things to see on your taxpayer supported national network - unless you plan to eat, sleep or hit the head. Consider:

Olympic Games Prime Time airs, as you'd expect from the name, between 7 PM and 12 midnight. 

Next, it's Olympic Games Overnight. This show airs from 12 AM until 6 AM the next morning and because of the time difference may actually have competitions to show live. Hosts are Heather Hiscox, whom the CBC bizarrely calls "beloved" in its press release. (Beloved? By whom?) and former Olympian Alexandre Despatie.

If you're still up, you can follow that all-nighter with Olympics Games Morning, that airs from 6 AM -12 noon. 

And if that's not enough, there's Tokyo Today, from noon - 6PM, where presumably there will be a break for an hour-long newscast and then it starts all over again. This show features the National's Andrew Chang and another ex-athlete, hurdler Perdita Felicien. 

The network also promises to stream all of its Olympics programming on CBC GEM, although it doesn't say if you have to officially be a member to watch it. The online site promises a slew of "non-televised events."

It's not likely, but you have to wonder what happens if things get worse and COVID cancels everything. There's a lot of holes to fill in a two-week, 23 hour a day schedule.

You can see the entire line-up and the descriptions of each segment here

April 15, 2021 2:37 pm  #2

Re: CBC-TV Outlines Exhaustive - & Exhausting - Coverage Of Tokyo Olympics

RadioActive wrote:

If the COVID-tinged Olympics actually take place this summer, you won't be able to escape them at all on CBC-TV. The network has revealed an almost insane amount of coverage that will involve 23 hours a day of non-stop programming, beginning with the opening on July 23rd until it mercifully ends on August 8th. 

I'm not a fan of the Games and I never watch them, but if you are, there will be no shortage of things to see on your taxpayer supported national network - unless you plan to eat, sleep or hit the head. Consider:

Olympic Games Prime Time airs, as you'd expect from the name, between 7 PM and 12 midnight. 

Next, it's Olympic Games Overnight. This show airs from 12 AM until 6 AM the next morning and because of the time difference may actually have competitions to show live. Hosts are Heather Hiscox, whom the CBC bizarrely calls "beloved" in its press release. (Beloved? By whom?) and former Olympian Alexandre Despatie.

If you're still up, you can follow that all-nighter with Olympics Games Morning, that airs from 6 AM -12 noon. 

And if that's not enough, there's Tokyo Today, from noon - 6PM, where presumably there will be a break for an hour-long newscast and then it starts all over again. This show features the National's Andrew Chang and another ex-athlete, hurdler Perdita Felicien. 

The network also promises to stream all of its Olympics programming on CBC GEM, although it doesn't say if you have to officially be a member to watch it. The online site promises a slew of "non-televised events."

It's not likely, but you have to wonder what happens if things get worse and COVID cancels everything. There's a lot of holes to fill in a two-week, 23 hour a day schedule.

Most of the live programming will be in the late evening, overnight and early morning time, when most of the audience will be sleeping. Hence, the need to re-run everything all day. The rights to televise the Olympics don't come cheap, so they might as well use them. I view this as a good programming move, as the Olympics are very popular. I've had little interest in it since they eliminated the Live Pigeon Shooting.

https://www.npr.org/2012/07/27/157493816/live-pigeon-shooting-and-other-odd-olympic-games">https://www.npr.org/2012/07/27/157493816/live-pigeon-shooting-and-other-odd-olympic-gameshttps://www.npr.org/2012/07/27/157493816/live-pigeon-shooting-and-other-odd-olympic-games

Last edited by Dale Patterson (April 15, 2021 2:41 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 15, 2021 4:51 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

I'm sure the CBC has a backup plan involving a lot of reruns. A few nights ago they actually were airing an old Rick Mercer Report after a hockey game got cancelled due to Covid.

April 15, 2021 5:33 pm  #4

No live Pigeon Shooting, but Golf is back in the Summer Olympics this year.  It has only been part of the competition three other times- 1900, 1904 and 2016.  Canada actually won a gold medal in men's golf in 1904.  

CBC does a good job of the Olympics and they are smart to partner with both TSN and Sportsnet.  So overall, we likely have the most extensive coverage anywhere, for those who are into watching the Olympics.    I like NBC's coverage as well, however they do rely a little much on the pre packaged segments and backgrounders on athletes, but they are a nice change from CBC/TSN/Sportsnet coverage.

If the Summer Olympics actually happen, it will likely be a ratings bonanza, if only because there won't be much else on regular network television in the middle of summer.  But watch for CTV to counter program during the Olympics with cable programming that is not available on broadcast network television.  They did this last time in 2016 with the first season of Game of Thrones, with no editing of language and nudity and limited commercial breaks.  Didn't really work super well but it was an interesting alternative for those who are not into Olympic sports.

April 15, 2021 5:37 pm  #5

Will all these correspondents and reporters physically be in Tokyo as opposed to doing it all remotely? If so, how many will be lost for a two-week quarantine when they get back? And are there enough hotel rooms to accommodate them all when the time comes? The same laws that apply to average Canadians had also better apply to them.

It takes a huge broadcast team to produce an event this big, even assuming they're hiring some local talent in Tokyo. 

April 15, 2021 5:46 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Will all these correspondents and reporters physically be in Tokyo as opposed to doing it all remotely? If so, how many will be lost for a two-week quarantine when they get back? And are there enough hotel rooms to accommodate them all when the time comes? The same laws that apply to average Canadians had also better apply to them.

It takes a huge broadcast team to produce an event this big, even assuming they're hiring some local talent in Tokyo. 

That'll likely depend on Japan's rules more than anything. I recall quite a few Canadian journalists travelled to the US to cover the US election last November.

April 15, 2021 7:20 pm  #7

Speaking of the Olympics, our closing ceremony jackets for this summer are the talk of the internet.  Hudson's Bay designed the outfits for the Canadian team.  
Sudbury tuxedo with a Labatt 50 on the side please??   I think I still have my old GWG Scrubbie jean jacket somewhere??
https://ca.style.yahoo.com/team-canada-team-usa-olympic-looks-160318223.html 

April 15, 2021 7:37 pm  #8

Canada will definitely take the gold for most ridiculous wardrobe on display. I have to be honest - when I first saw those pics, I thought it was a satire. 

Unfortunately not.

And by the way, doesn't that third one that says "Tokyo" look more like "Toxic?" That's the first thing that struck me when I saw it.

Pic from National Post

April 15, 2021 8:55 pm  #9

These denim jackets are for the closing ceremonies, which are supposed to be fun with the athletes partying and letting off steam.  I bet the "Canadian Tuxedo" will be the most sought after item of clothing from any team.  Judging by the reaction so far, the denim outfits are already getting the most talk of all of the outfits.   The red mittens our athletes wore in 2010 with the white maple leaf that everyone said they hated sold by the truckload.  In fact they were so popular The Bay still carries them in store every winter. 

April 15, 2021 10:39 pm  #10

torontostan wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

If by "all these" you mean the maybe 50 staff CBC sends to Tokyo? Most of the crew works from Toronto and Montreal. They send hosts, some commentators, enough cameramen to have one at each Canadian event, and probably some producers. That's all nowadays.. no control rooms in Tokyo for CBC either, they take the OBS (Olympic Broadcast Service) feed and supplement with CBC cameras for extra shots of Canadians. Given the pandemic, I wonder if they'll even be allowed to do face-to-face interviews with the athletes.. if not, then why send any reporters/hosts at all?

Maybe the'll just rent out a GTA mid-size hotel for when they all get back? Might as well charter a plane while you're at it! 

That's exactly right.  Since Vancouver all of the other games be been mostly called off of monitors in Toronto.  I seem to remember Sam Costantino of Sportsnet talking about what a crappy setup he had to call the games 5 or 9 years ago.  I believe it was a small single monitor which showed him the OBS feed.

April 15, 2021 11:06 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

CBC's coverage is nothing new. Hope COVID doesn't cancel events (it'll probably happen). Bring it on!

Last edited by ED1 (April 15, 2021 11:06 pm)

April 16, 2021 1:08 pm  #12

I honestly believed, given that this is the biggest sporting event in the world, that the CBC would actually have at least a few of their people in Tokyo, COVID notwithstanding. And some will be there - but according to the network, 50% fewer than in Games past.

"We have moved a lot of people home to Canada across CBC, Radio-Canada and all platforms," [Executive Producer Chris] Irwin said. "The only people we left on site are those gathering with athletes, talking to athletes — camera people, reporters, field producers and the co-ordinating and technical teams at the IBC [International Broadcast Centre] that make sure all the content gets to Canada," Irwin said.

But as some here noted, almost all of the anchor and host coverage will originate in Toronto, and that presents those on camera with a real challenge.  

For The CBC, pandemic adds new hurdles to challenge of broadcasting an Olympics

April 16, 2021 1:50 pm  #13

The Live Pigeon Shooting would go nicely with breakfast.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 16, 2021 3:19 pm  #14

Dale Patterson wrote:

The Live Pigeon Shooting would go nicely with breakfast.

...Made my day!!!