sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 9, 2021 9:56 am  #1

"...difficult to work with..."

Listening to Jim Richards overnight show & coming out of the 4 a.m. news this morning Jim told his audience that his  technical producer "Mike" had up & quit not long before the show began.

Apparently "Mike" had told management that Jim was "difficult to work with"

Jim didn't sound pleased in making the revelation

Don't know if Jim is difficult to work with or not but those hours are enough to affect temperament & personality & not in a good way  

April 10, 2021 9:53 pm  #2

Re: "...difficult to work with..."

unclefester wrote:

those hours are enough to affect temperament & personality & not in a good way  

Doing midnights takes a certain discipline and toughness that not everyone can handle, and you can get so tired and out of whack living life essentially upside down that at times it can feel like being on a not particularly fun drug.

Kudos to Jim for doing overnights, hope he finds a good fit with his next prod person.

Last edited by betaylored (April 10, 2021 10:35 pm)

April 11, 2021 2:37 pm  #3

I worked with Jim many years ago as his tech producer and I have to say he was the easiest and nicest guy I've EVER met! 
I understand people change but I find it hard to believe that Jim is 'difficult' to work with. 

Could this be a bit?

April 12, 2021 6:53 pm  #4

RxGonzo wrote:

Could this be a bit?

I was going to write 'Who cares?' but it really wasn't worth the typing effort.

April 13, 2021 12:14 am  #5

Richards said at the top of tonight's show that "Patrick" (technical producer/board op) quit yesterday, and naming "Mike" again, said he's now on his "third technical producer in 6 weeks", Tony. And "Why am I still on the air?!" 

Could indeed be a "bit" that he's "difficult to work with" and the reality is those board ops are finding the overnight hours unforgiving and ditch it for anything they can get that's a daytime shift. Plus, Richards pre-tapes a number of segments throughout the day with guests and more normal hours and the board op I assume has to be around for those or at least do some editing on them.

April 14, 2021 4:07 pm  #6

I hope this is not Patrick O'Neill. He has been with 1010 five or six years and has done everything Bendixen asked of him. I understand it may not mean he is gone from the station (and interestingly Evan Solomon did mention "Patrick on the board" last Thursday).

April 14, 2021 8:57 pm  #7

Interesting, @67GreenRambler. Not sure on that. The "Tony" is Tony Tedesco, a familiar 1010 behind-the-scenes name for many years. Jim mentioned he's known Tony about 12 years and Tony is posting about the show on his own Twitter account.

It'll be interesting to see if this great overnight experiment across many Bell stations succeeds. There is a fair amount of exaggeration and comedy "bits" (albeit not exactly Phil Hendrie level) that Richards didn't go to that level with on his 1010 afternoon show, but he *does* have 4 hours to fill and it is a late-night slot, so some of that to be expected.