sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 4, 2021 12:04 am  #31

Re: Jays radio broadcast a disaster!

Believe it or not he's highly regarded as a TV color announcer.  TBS usually uses him for playoff games that air across the US.

April 4, 2021 4:28 am  #32

Buck is also the analyst for the international feed for the World series.

April 4, 2021 9:48 pm  #33

Prod Guy wrote:

Believe it or not he's highly regarded as a TV color announcer.  TBS usually uses him for playoff games that air across the US.

I believe it; I don't get it.

April 13, 2021 9:08 pm  #34

I wasn't happy with Rogers' obviously cheap decision to cut exclusive radio broadcasts, but I was willing to at least give it a chance. I've been listening to the TV-audio-on-the-radio for the past few weeks and I have to say I'm really starting to hate it. 

In addition to my dislike of Buck Martinez as a play-by-play guy, (I get it - the score is constantly displayed in a graphic bug on the screen, but Buck, really, I can't see the thing on the radio. Can you give the score a little more often? He doesn't even do it going into the commercial breaks. It's an awful listening experience.) it just doesn't have the excitement or atmosphere that those guys in the radio booth did. I think Dan Shulman is great, but even he can't quite seem to make the dual descriptions work. And he's only on from Toronto when the Jays are playing road games, so he's absent half the time. 

As a result, I find myself listening a lot less than in seasons past. 

I'll be curious to see how the ratings are for the Fan this season as the change sinks in with listeners. I suppose if the team does well and they're in contention for a playoff spot, there will be more interest, but so far, the Jays are losing me as a fan. And a big part of that is what's on the radio - and what isn't. 

April 13, 2021 9:20 pm  #35

There isn't a reliable way to measure the ratings for the radio broadcasts. The system for radio is built around days and dayparts, not individual broadcasts. There is no mechanism to see how any individual game rated.

April 13, 2021 9:31 pm  #36

With PPM they can see it in almost real time before the data is compressed and they can see the results for departs.

April 13, 2021 9:39 pm  #37

RadioQuiz wrote:

With PPM they can see it in almost real time before the data is compressed and they can see the results for departs.

They can see daily results for dayparts. That isn't useful for baseball, which crosses dayparts and doesn't usually move the needle within them anyway. A change in the quality of the broadcasts is absolutely un-measurable in terms of ratings.

Last edited by RadioAaron (April 13, 2021 9:40 pm)

April 13, 2021 9:58 pm  #38

The one tangible thing we can see - or rather hear - with the change this year is that there are far fewer spots on the radio broadcast than I can ever recall. True, the TV guys take a lot of short breaks when there's a delay in the action (which in baseball is endless) but that doesn't seem to translate to the audio side. 

Instead, we get the Jays Talk hosts constantly filling time until Sportsnet returns. It makes it sound choppy in a way I didn't hear in years past. And while I would never object to fewer commercials, the endless filler starts to get annoying after a while.

The old radio-only broadcast had a flow to it. This one doesn't. It's very noticeable, at least to these ears. 

April 13, 2021 10:15 pm  #39

RadioActive wrote:

The one tangible thing we can see - or rather hear - with the change this year is that there are far fewer spots on the radio broadcast than I can ever recall.

Cutting the radio side, but also not generating as many radio ads?  How is Rogers getting any further ahead?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 13, 2021 10:27 pm  #40

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

The one tangible thing we can see - or rather hear - with the change this year is that there are far fewer spots on the radio broadcast than I can ever recall.

Cutting the radio side, but also not generating as many radio ads?  How is Rogers getting any further ahead?

If there are fewer ads, it's due to fewer availabilities because of the way the TV broadcasts are structured, and Rogers would have taken that into account when making this decision. 

Baseball on the radio just simply doesn't contribute to the top-line in a classic ratings-->revenues sense. 

This move was good business, unfortunately. 

April 17, 2021 4:43 pm  #41

I was listening to the Jays game against KC on 650 here in Vancouver earlier while picking up groceries. Dan Shulman told everyone to scan a QR code that was on the screen.

Where’s the QR code? I’m listening to the radio, I can’t see any QR code.