sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 8, 2021 2:21 pm  #1

OK, I Give Up. How, Exactly, Do You Cover This Sport On The Radio?

I miss the dedicated Jays games on the radio, a sport made for the medium. And as many here agree, the TV broadcasts just aren't cutting it. 

But then there's the Masters, golf's biggest tournament. I noticed that in Britain, one of the BBC's radio networks is providing up to 4 hours of coverage of the event each evening. Because golf is all about the visuals, I'm really not sure how this is done. In fact, of all the sports that exist, this is probably the only one that simply doesn't work with audio only. Do they describe the swing? Or where the ball lands? It just seems to me that outside of listing the Leader Board, there's no way to really make this fly without pictures. 

Am I the only one who finds this odd? How, exactly, do you do play-by-play of this on the radio for four hours a night (British time)? Anyone know? 

BBC Masters 2021 radio coverage: How to listen to all four golf rounds live from Augusta

April 8, 2021 3:11 pm  #2

Re: OK, I Give Up. How, Exactly, Do You Cover This Sport On The Radio?

RadioActive wrote:

I miss the dedicated Jays games on the radio, a sport made for the medium. And as many here agree, the TV broadcasts just aren't cutting it. 

But then there's the Masters, golf's biggest tournament. I noticed that in Britain, one of the BBC's radio networks is providing up to 4 hours of coverage of the event each evening. Because golf is all about the visuals, I'm really not sure how this is done.

Am I the only one who finds this odd? How, exactly, do you do play-by-play of this on the radio for four hours a night (British time)? Anyone know?

they use the "we are covering golf" voice, describe everything, and speak very very softly, like Marlon Perkins talking to Jim as they walk downwind from of a herd of water buffalo 🐃🐃🐃 🤫⛳🏌️

Seriously tho, the guys on TSN's 1050 OverDrive show talk golf a fair amount and the way Bryan Hayes Noodles and O describe the shots and the swings and ball positioning etc makes it come alive and interesting, and I am not a fan of the sport, Mark Twain had it right.🦗🦗🦗

April 8, 2021 4:55 pm  #3

I listen to PGA Tour radio all the time on SiriusXM. In fact, I pay extre for it. I'm in a golf pool so this is a good way to keep track of my players. Plus I'm a fan.

Now if only we could get curling on radio. 

Last edited by Dale Patterson (April 8, 2021 4:58 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 8, 2021 10:13 pm  #4

Dale Patterson wrote:

I listen to PGA Tour radio all the time on SiriusXM. In fact, I pay extre for it. I'm in a golf pool so this is a good way to keep track of my players. Plus I'm a fan.

Now if only we could get curling on radio. 

Apparently you can stream audio of any curling that TSN covers (which is a lot) on TSN.ca.  I have heard, in the days when crowds could go to curling matches, you could also tune in a dedicated FM frequency for play by play from the network.  You could listen on your phone with the TSN app.  It is the TV audio feed but the commentators tend to be pretty descriptive...that's as long as you can hear them over the yelling of SWEEP, SWEEP, and HARD..