sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 5, 2021 8:35 am  #1

Anyone Remember The Two Ronnies?

Their BBC show used to run regularly on both WNED in Buffalo and on the CBC here. And boy, were they brilliant performers.

This lookback, about the 50th anniversary of the show's debut, is an absolutely terrific read if you were a fan.

And now it's Goodnight from me.

And it's Goodnight from him. 

The Two Ronnies’ 50th birthday

April 6, 2021 3:51 pm  #2

Re: Anyone Remember The Two Ronnies?

April 6, 2021 4:22 pm  #3

Definitely one of their best-known sketches. I remember two of my favourite jokes.

"Officers in Liverpool are baffled by the theft of all of their toilets overnight at the main station. Police say they have absolutely nothing to go on."

And

"There are so many pregnant women waiting to see doctors in London that there's now a 12-month waiting list."

Ronnie Barker was absolutely astounding when it came to delivering the most difficult of dialogue. It may not be the most hilarious sketch, but watch the dexterity with which he delivers the extremely confusing and tongue twisting script below. I'm not sure anyone else could have done this without blowing it. He did it in one take. It's pretty amazing.

April 6, 2021 7:22 pm  #4

Hilarious!

April 7, 2021 12:15 am  #5

A fire at Scotland Yard has destroyed thousands of criminal records, including "Deck of Cards" by Max Bygraves.

April 7, 2021 8:37 am  #6

I had a look on the inter-webbing thingy yesterday. The TTR is available for purchase but unfortunately only for Region 2. One would have to buy a UK DVD player and a North American power supply to watch it

April 7, 2021 8:58 am  #7

In lieu of that, there's a ton of material on them available on YouTube. 

The Two Ronnies on YouTube

April 7, 2021 4:38 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

In lieu of that, there's a ton of material on them available on YouTube. 

The Two Ronnies on YouTube

Loved them as a teenager, I think they were my intro to Monty Python style irreverent humour before I found the Pythons. I'm going to enjoy watching them on YouTube, thanks for the heads up RA, it'll make a nice change. 🤓🤓

April 7, 2021 5:20 pm  #9

andysradio wrote:

I had a look on the inter-webbing thingy yesterday. The TTR is available for purchase but unfortunately only for Region 2. One would have to buy a UK DVD player and a North American power supply to watch it

It's not difficult to find a DVD player that is not region-specific. Pending that, some makes can be re-programmed using downloaded code and entered using the dvd drive.