sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 1, 2021 9:57 am  #1

2021 April fool radio pranks

WBEN Philly "Now playing the most music ever!" 
Did they speed up the music? YES! lol 
https://957benfm.com/2021/03/26/ben-fm-most-music/  

Any other pranks?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 1, 2021 10:52 am  #2

Re: 2021 April fool radio pranks

AccuRadio is a very good online service that allows you to choose from hundreds of different musical genres from oldies to Adult Rock, Country, Jazz and more. They issued a press release Thursday proclaiming they have decided to abandon the Internet and are taking all of their formats to AM radio, because of increasing online fees for music. 

So how does a service that offers dozens and dozens of formats make such a transition? It claims it will do one format at a time per week, switching from one to another, meaning it would take years to hear them all. As if the announcement wasn't ludicrous enough, a press release tries to explain how you would listen to it across the country, even after it makes the "transition" to the AM band. 

AccuRadio Director of Engineering Phil Vuollet noted: "For example, if you're driving from Minneapolis to St. Louis, just tune to AccuRadio AM 1240 until you get near Mankato, then switch to AM 830. At Mason City, change your dial to AM 1650; Fort Dodge AM 1280; then expect 20 miles of no signal; and then simply turn to AM 1550 in Des Moines. It's that easy!” Vuollet adds, “As a mnuemonic device, simply remember this rhyming couplet: ‘1240, 830, 1650, 1280, 20 miles, and 1550’.”

Although they haven't admitted anything, it's clearly an April Fool's prank designed to attract attention to the site. I admit I listen to them from time to time, especially since you don't have to sign up for anything and it allows you to skip any song you don't like on an unlimited basis. If you can't find a music format you like here, there probably isn't one. 

AccuRadio April Fool press release

April 1, 2021 11:04 am  #3

An article from 2019, but relevant today.

10 Best Radio Hoaxes You’ve Never Heard Before

Meanwhile, some have called this 1957 BBC TV prank one of the best in broadcasting history.

April 1, 2021 12:06 pm  #4

Meanwhile in Vancouver:

April 1, 2021 1:20 pm  #5

grilled.cheese wrote:

I heard a good April fools joke about radio:  Ratings are better than ever.

Almost as good as Bell Media's announced hiring spree.

April 1, 2021 1:41 pm  #6

Speaking of April Fool's, Google is doing absolutely nothing this year for the second year in a row.

They blame trying to be sensitive to Covid-19, but I don't see how giving people a Pac-Man game on Google Maps like they did in a couple previous April Firsts is being insensitive. On the contrary, I think it gives people a needed distraction.

April 1, 2021 1:48 pm  #7

Tangentially related: Houseplant selection for Audiophiles

April 1, 2021 1:59 pm  #8

Here's a local classic - just two years after Canada converted to the metric system - which already had many people confused - CFTR went on air in 1977 with a story that as of April 1st that year, the country would be converted to metric time. The explanation of why 12 noon would suddenly become something like 4:32 PM was insane. 

It was very convincing and was "explained" by newscaster Robert Holiday, who played it all perfectly straight, right down to the man-on-the-street interview with the people who admitted that yes, they'd certainly heard about it. (Something Jimmy Kimmel is doing with M.O.S.-es to this day on his show.)

I remember my brother being infuriated about this and he bought it hook, line and sinker.

So, how did they finally pay it off? They set up a phone recording to explain the concept, which you'll hear at the end of the piece, where they went into a long explanation of how it works, only to reveal at the end that the listener had been taken for a, well, let's just say, "good time."

Dale Patterson's Rockradioscrapbook has the evidence here and you'll even hear the late, great Jim Brady get in on the act at the end of the newscast.

April 1, 2021 2:50 pm  #9

Also, the new $5 coin has officially been introduced...or so Mix 999 back in the day wanted us to believe. 
Anyone remember that one? lol

April 1, 2021 3:33 pm  #10

I remember one year, BBC World Service newscast announced that Big Ben was being replaced with a digital clock.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

April 1, 2021 3:41 pm  #11

Not radio, but if you already hate Tom Brady, this won't improve your opinion of him. 

Tom Brady Tweets He's Bringing Expos Back as Player, Coach, Owner on April Fools'  

April 1, 2021 6:05 pm  #12

This is one I heard about and isn't a radio prank but it did fool some radio stations in London.  The London Free Press ran a front page story back in the late 70's that the city was seriously considering a large section of downtown London would be put under a plexiglass dome. This would be a first in North America and make London Ontario a city of the future.

The Free Press, I was told, had a colour photo of the proposed domed area and a interview and photo of the architect who designed the whole project.  What made it believable is the fact that the Free Press almost never ran a colour front page 40-45 years ago.  Also the story supposedly had quotes from the mayor and some council members indicating what a great thing this would be for the Forest City. 

Anyway some of the radio stations scrambled to pick up on the story during morning shows and it was the talk of the town for a few hours.  If you read the whole story however, you would see in the final sentence they included an  "April Fool" in the copy.  Pretty funny how some of the stations in town took the bait.   

I only lived in London for a year, but I was told that April Fool's pranks were fairly common in the city, at least back then.

April 1, 2021 6:41 pm  #13

paterson1 wrote:

This is one I heard about and isn't a radio prank but it did fool some radio stations in London.  The London Free Press ran a front page story back in the late 70's that the city was seriously considering a large section of downtown London would be put under a plexiglass dome. This would be a first in North America and make London Ontario a city of the future.

The Free Press, I was told, had a colour photo of the proposed domed area and a interview and photo of the architect who designed the whole project.  What made it believable is the fact that the Free Press almost never ran a colour front page 40-45 years ago.  Also the story supposedly had quotes from the mayor and some council members indicating what a great thing this would be for the Forest City. 

Anyway some of the radio stations scrambled to pick up on the story during morning shows and it was the talk of the town for a few hours.  If you read the whole story however, you would see in the final sentence they included an  "April Fool" in the copy.  Pretty funny how some of the stations in town took the bait.   

I only lived in London for a year, but I was told that April Fool's pranks were fairly common in the city, at least back then.

And it became the inspiration for a Stephen King novel.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

April 1, 2021 9:45 pm  #14

paterson1 wrote:

The Gazette at Western did a spoof issue on April Fool’s Day for many years, including when I was a writer for them. Not sure if they still do.

April 2, 2021 2:59 am  #15

RadioActive wrote:

It was very convincing and was "explained" by newscaster Robert Holiday...

It was convincing and all made sense because it came straight out of an encyclopedia (see: French decimal time). 

April 2, 2021 9:35 am  #16

This isn't about a prank but many years ago (back in the 70's or 80's), one of the radio stations in London had a contest featuring an all expenses paid weekend in Cleveland.  The second prize was two all expenses paid weekends in Cleveland.  As I recall, the radio station got an earful from Clevelanders who eventually heard about the contest.

April 2, 2021 11:46 am  #17

JackofAll wrote:

This isn't about a prank but many years ago (back in the 70's or 80's), one of the radio stations in London had a contest featuring an all expenses paid weekend in Cleveland.  The second prize was two all expenses paid weekends in Cleveland.  As I recall, the radio station got an earful from Clevelanders who eventually heard about the contest.

That's funny.  Both CJBK and CKSL in London did a lot of comical promotions.  And I don't think these were April Fool contests but just regular fun things they did throughout the year.  

I think it was CJBK had a contest where the first prize was to be something like the "Citizen of the Day" in Arva, Ontario.  Arva is a very small community just north of London.  The winner had a parade Saturday afternoon with open convertible up and down the main street.  The local high school marching band took part in the parade.  The mayor/reeve of Arva made a speech and gave the winner of the contest the keys to the town at an official ceremony on main street.  Also I believe there was a complimentary dinner at Arva's only restaurant in town, and a complimentary overnight stay at the local motel.  It was really funny and the station got some good press out of it.  I think CFPL TV news covered the parade.

Another one was dinner with Johnny Carson. CKSL may have had this one.  This was a contest to meet Johnny Carson and have dinner with him at one of London's best restaurants.  The promo on air had the Tonight Show Theme, cuts of Carson talking and Ed McMahon saying "you are correct sir."  Naturally the winner did in fact have dinner with Johnny Carson, but not with the television host.  Johnny Carson was a regular and single local guy from the London area.  Anyway another fun promotion from London radio years ago. 

April 2, 2021 12:26 pm  #18

Someone posted this April Fool's joke to my Facebook feed. Wish it were true!

77 WABC to Flip to Oldies, Cites Cousin Brucie Success

WABC 770 New York is preparing to go oldies.

Station owner John Catsimatidis' Red Apple Media says the overwhelming successful of the Cousin Brucie oldies show on Saturdays, and their strong FM presence now on WLIR-FM 107.1, has resulted in the station deciding to return to a music format.Catsimatidis said that other WABC alumni would be returning to WABC, including Johnny Donovan, Frank Kingston Smith, and Steve O'Brien."WABC has a rich heritage of being a music station here in New York," Catsimatidis said, "and we are thrilled to be returning to our roots. Our listeners who grew up listening to Musicradio 77 will now find us on AM and FM.""You had the Beatles and the Four Seasons and the Beach Boys," he said.

"There was such a wave of creativity in the United States and England that made it a special era because there was so much music. We're excited to be playing this music again."The stations will be making the switch to oldies on June 1.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (April 2, 2021 12:27 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram