sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 28, 2021 2:40 am  #1

For those who might remember an old elevator...

The elevator @ 99 Queen East back when City TV was there... 

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 28, 2021 2:45 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 28, 2021 8:50 am  #2

Re: For those who might remember an old elevator...

rode that elevator many, many times

probably the scariest thing about that building

March 28, 2021 4:09 pm  #3

Did anyone think to check and see if the elevating device licence was current...or maybe expired? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 30, 2021 12:50 pm  #4

Hi Radiowiz,
Yes the trip up in the elevator was an experience everyday.   Rist was the master of plays on words, spooky things, and creating fun stories.  It's too bad CityPulse lost that creative edge when CP24 signed on. It was the death nail of the real CityPulse.
The elevator in the "old" building was also used to inform employees of their sudden termination!  Read it first in the elevator, find out later from your boss. So...there's a little truth to the "Elevator from Hell"!

March 30, 2021 2:12 pm  #5

Closed circuit to The Foxer:

I came across this video of City TV when it first moved into its new (and second) home at 299 Queen St. W. I recognize a few of the faces from my travels around TV newsrooms - like former 6 PM producer Rik Jespersen at the top of the story, former director Mike Martin, the late (and extremely fresh-faced) John Egan and a very young Alisa Kerr, before she got married to one of my friends, the late Clint Nickerson.  And then there's Adam Vaughan, looking more like a high school student than the MP he is now. (If I'm not mistaken, even you make a very quick cameo appearance, sitting in an editing bay.)

It probably won't mean much to most of those who gather here, but I'm betting you may be able to I.D. a lot of them. Watch it when you're in a nostalgic mood and see how many faces look familiar. 

March 30, 2021 5:03 pm  #6

Pretty sure I spotted Brian Linehan in that.

Such an 80s vibe. Saw a picture of ALF on the wall in one shot, and another guy wearing a Ghostbusters shirt.

March 31, 2021 10:49 am  #7

Re. Elevator from Hell

Here is some more classic(?) footage of the Elevator at 99 (referred to here as the "Rod Serling Memorial Elevator") This was from Late Great Movies when it was hosted by Bob Segarini in 1985.