sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 30, 2021 11:39 am  #1


Cdn. Radio Sports Personalities Jump On Podcasting As Gigs Disappear

We've seen it in the past few weeks by the shutdown of so many TSN radio stations in the Bell Media massacre. But podcasting is a growing trend for those displaced, most recently seen with Bob McCown, even before his return to Sauga 960. 

Canadian Sports Radio Struggles Cause Surge In Digital Content  

 

March 30, 2021 12:41 pm  #2


Re: Cdn. Radio Sports Personalities Jump On Podcasting As Gigs Disappear

Soon all the radio and broadcasting courses will be replaced with podcasting courses.

 

March 30, 2021 1:11 pm  #3


Re: Cdn. Radio Sports Personalities Jump On Podcasting As Gigs Disappear

Don Taylor and Rick Dhaliwal, formerly of TSN 1040 in Vancouver are launching a daily show on CHEK-TV in Victoria - which will also be offered as a podcast.

CHEK itself has five podcasts, and their website even invites people to contact them to start their own podcast. One of them is actually hosted by a familiar name from Southwestern Ontario - Bruce Williams, who long ago co-hosted CFPL's One O'Clock Live with future CFTO mainstay Andria Case, he's now the CEO of Victoria's chamber of commerce and he hosts a business podcast.

It'll be interesting to see if any smaller local broadcasters in Ontario expand into this area.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (March 30, 2021 1:14 pm)

 

March 30, 2021 1:28 pm  #4


Re: Cdn. Radio Sports Personalities Jump On Podcasting As Gigs Disappear

Interested to know what percentage of podcasters can actually make a decent living doing it? It's gotta be very, very small. Big time celebs, etc...folks with ties to companies that will spend ad dollars, sponsorships, etc...

 

March 30, 2021 1:36 pm  #5


Re: Cdn. Radio Sports Personalities Jump On Podcasting As Gigs Disappear

Johnny B wrote:

Interested to know what percentage of podcasters can actually make a decent living doing it? It's gotta be very, very small. Big time celebs, etc...folks with ties to companies that will spend ad dollars, sponsorships, etc...

I follow a wresting podcast, POST, wrestling and it's two local guys from Toronto.  In fact, Toronto Mike had them on as guests within the past two years  They do podcasting as their full time employment.

 

March 30, 2021 1:59 pm  #6


Re: Cdn. Radio Sports Personalities Jump On Podcasting As Gigs Disappear

grilled.cheese wrote:

Johnny B wrote:

Interested to know what percentage of podcasters can actually make a decent living doing it? It's gotta be very, very small. Big time celebs, etc...folks with ties to companies that will spend ad dollars, sponsorships, etc...

I follow a wresting podcast, POST, wrestling and it's two local guys from Toronto.  In fact, Toronto Mike had them on as guests within the past two years  They do podcasting as their full time employment.

Here's John Pollock and Wai Ting from POST Wrestling on Toronto Mike'd.

https://www.torontomike.com/2019/05/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_472/

 

March 30, 2021 4:26 pm  #7


Re: Cdn. Radio Sports Personalities Jump On Podcasting As Gigs Disappear

torontomike wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

Johnny B wrote:

Interested to know what percentage of podcasters can actually make a decent living doing it? It's gotta be very, very small. Big time celebs, etc...folks with ties to companies that will spend ad dollars, sponsorships, etc...

I follow a wresting podcast, POST, wrestling and it's two local guys from Toronto.  In fact, Toronto Mike had them on as guests within the past two years  They do podcasting as their full time employment.

Here's John Pollock and Wai Ting from POST Wrestling on Toronto Mike'd.

https://www.torontomike.com/2019/05/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_472/

Cheers to that.