sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2021 8:57 pm  #1

HOT TALK?

Canada seems to have missed this boat.  No reason it couldn't work here.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/206405/february-2021-2-4-to-3-3-nielsen-audio-ppm-ratings-day-3-is-hot-talk-on-the-rebound/

Think of all the talent that could fill a station?

Humble and Fred
Mike Richards
Dean Blundell
Mike Bullard
Bobcat
Jim Richards
Jessie and Gene

Who else?

March 27, 2021 9:03 pm  #2

Re: HOT TALK?

There's something to it, for sure.

Toronto is not really supporting two sports stations that go all-in on sports-talk.

The sports format can work really well when combined with a strong dose of generic "guy-talk."

Some of these names on 1050 with a heavy dose of Leafs talk would bring in ratings, but the question would be if they'd be enough to make up the cost.

Also, all the stations mentioned in that article are on FM.

Last edited by RadioAaron (March 27, 2021 9:10 pm)

March 27, 2021 11:01 pm  #3

Would need to be FM. Best fit in Toronto would be flipping CFNY as they’ve lost the battle to Indie. Been preaching the format for ages...originally developed by the brilliant Walt Sabo. My favourite example is 102.5 The Bone in Tampa. Like an alt rock station without music. Their last book they were 3rd (with a 5.1 12+) in a very competitive radio market, and if you dig into the demos, it’s the advertiser’s favourites. I think the afternoon guy - Drew Garabo - is their strongest, Not sure all the names you mention would be a fit. 
https://www.theboneonline.com/

March 28, 2021 11:20 am  #4

Didn't MOJO 640 have the hot talk format back in 2000?  They had Talk Radio for Guys for about 4-5 years and then became AM 640 and moved more mainstream.  Maybe a little ahead of it's time or would FM work better?  Corus tried the MOJO format in Vancouver around 2002.  Now that station is 24 hour traffic known as AM 730 and was the first commercial all traffic station in North America. I listened to the station a few weeks back and it sounds better than I thought it would.  They had a surprising amount of commercials, live announcers and even jingles.  Mind you I was listening during Vancouver's busy afternoon drive home.  Probably a bit sleepy on a Sunday morning   But then again so is every other AM station. 

March 28, 2021 11:37 am  #5

paterson1 wrote:

Didn't MOJO 640 have the hot talk format back in 2000?  They had Talk Radio for Guys for about 4-5 years and then became AM 640 and moved more mainstream.  Maybe a little ahead of it's time or would FM work better?  

Definitely an FM format. The bulk of the demo has abandoned AM. MOJO was in the ballpark format-wise, though the branding was maybe a little too on-the-nose. Yes, the main Hot Talk demo is men 25-54, but a surprising number of women tune in too.

Last edited by Holliday (March 28, 2021 11:38 am)

March 28, 2021 11:47 am  #6

Holliday wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Didn't MOJO 640 have the hot talk format back in 2000?  They had Talk Radio for Guys for about 4-5 years and then became AM 640 and moved more mainstream.  Maybe a little ahead of it's time or would FM work better?  

Definitely an FM format. The bulk of the demo has abandoned AM. MOJO was in the ballpark format-wise, though the branding was maybe a little too on-the-nose. Yes, the main Hot Talk demo is men 25-54, but a surprising number of women tune in too.

The Hog was an FM format also, so there's a history of an AM station doing things that might work better on FM.

I don't think Corus wants to pour money into a Hot talk format for Toronto's FM 102 unless there are other Corus FM stations struggling that could also pick up a national approach to the idea...?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 28, 2021 12:03 pm  #7

Holliday wrote:

Would need to be FM. Best fit in Toronto would be flipping CFNY as they’ve lost the battle to Indie. Been preaching the format for ages...originally developed by the brilliant Walt Sabo. My favourite example is 102.5 The Bone in Tampa. Like an alt rock station without music. Their last book they were 3rd (with a 5.1 12+) in a very competitive radio market, and if you dig into the demos, it’s the advertiser’s favourites. I think the afternoon guy - Drew Garabo - is their strongest, Not sure all the names you mention would be a fit. 
https://www.theboneonline.com/

CFNY would be a great fit for the Hot Talk format.  Also having Q107 as a brother station gives excellent opportunities for cross promo.  Toronto radio needs a shake up.  Seems stagnant when compared to other markets like Vancouver, Ottawa or Calgary/Edmonton.

Toronto should also have an FM country outlet too. Like Vancouver, a country FM would be more popular in the GTA than many think.  I still find it strange that Canada's biggest, richest radio market has no country station.  Yes I know the city is urbane, multicultural, modern and supposedly worldly, but so is Vancouver and country radio has been very popular in that city for a long time.  

March 28, 2021 12:24 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

Toronto should also have an FM country outlet too. Like Vancouver, a country FM would be more popular in the GTA than many think.  I still find it strange that Canada's biggest, richest radio market has no country station.  Yes I know the city is urbane, multicultural, modern and supposedly worldly, but so is Vancouver and country radio has been very popular in that city for a long time.  

That's exactly it. 
It might be a lot easier for Corus to put a Country 104 repeater on Toronto's FM 102 (with local content where needed) than it might be to go Hot Talk, may even be more profitable also. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 28, 2021 12:25 pm)

March 28, 2021 12:26 pm  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

I don't think Corus wants to pour money into a Hot talk format for Toronto's FM 102 unless there are other Corus FM stations struggling that could also pick up a national approach to the idea...?

That’s a problem. Most shows have multiple cast members, and it is an expensive format. Not sure Corus had that kind of risk tolerance. You’ve got to spend money to make money, but a lot of the majors are looking for ways to spend less money.

March 28, 2021 12:33 pm  #10

paterson1 wrote:

CFNY would be a great fit for the Hot Talk format.  Also having Q107 as a brother station gives excellent opportunities for cross promo.  Toronto radio needs a shake up.  Seems stagnant when compared to other markets like Vancouver, Ottawa or Calgary/Edmonton.

The ole “Wall of Men” Corus likes to use. The other built-in bonus for The Edge is, you already have a lot of natural Hot Talk listeners as your current audience. Would be much easier to maintain a ratings baseline, than say flipping an AC, whose listeners would flee in droves.

Speaking of Calgary, if not Toronto, an FM talker there would do quite well, based on demo and psychographics.

March 28, 2021 1:00 pm  #11

Radiowiz wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

That's exactly it. 
It might be a lot easier for Corus to put a Country 104 repeater on Toronto's FM 102 (with local content where needed) than it might be to go Hot Talk, may even be more profitable also. 

I think they would need to go all in with country.  Go big or don't bother.   You can't have the Toronto station as a repeater, that wouldn't work.  Actually I would rather see an outside group like Pattison Broadcasting run a country station in Toronto.  They seem to do well with the format and run the Vancouver country outlet.  I don't know if Corus still has their radio division up for sale.  It would be interesting to see Pattison buy the Corus stations in Ontario.  And even more interesting to see what changes they would make to some of the stations. 

March 28, 2021 3:57 pm  #12

I can't see any Canadian media company putting a Talk format on FM. It's too expensive but I think the problem with these companies is a sort of inertia. No one wants to take a chance because what happens if it doesn't work? I'll tell you what happens. The person who made the decision to take a chance will take the blame for it. That's why we keep hearing the same stuff over and over again. We should have had a Triple A station years ago but if there's no guarantee of success, it won't happen.

March 29, 2021 1:20 pm  #13

Just my 2 cents that means nothing..

ONLY if they didn't make money with Edge or any FM, would they consider doing this.   If anything they would drop 640 and focus on 1 station doing talk in house.   It's expensive and to have 2 in house doing it, may be a hard sell to the budget makers.    I think we are heading to an FM commercial talk, news or newstalk, as AM is a hard sell under 35.     I also think there is some formats that are currently over congested and hard to give performance numbers because of it (like doing hot ac/adult chr on 95-3).    Should 102-1 or 95-3 not be profitable (outside ratings), its possible to try something new like FM talk.   The issue is if you do it on 102-1, is 640 worth keeping around?    Or 95-3, is it worth keeping 900 around?    Music you can get anywhere... talk you can't...  I think it's only a matter of time before someone dumps music to try it on FM, and Corus likely has the best shot based on stations available, but if the clients are paying the bills, they will be happy to continue with their 1-3 share point doing music

Last edited by radiokid (March 29, 2021 1:23 pm)

March 29, 2021 3:40 pm  #14

radiokid wrote:

ONLY if they didn't make money with Edge or any FM, would they consider doing this.

you can probably "make money" on almost any radio station, the real question is, are they making their margins (which is in the order of 18+% or more for FM)

March 29, 2021 9:12 pm  #15

Rune wrote:

I can't see any Canadian media company putting a Talk format on FM. It's too expensive but I think the problem with these companies is a sort of inertia. No one wants to take a chance because what happens if it doesn't work? I'll tell you what happens. The person who made the decision to take a chance will take the blame for it. That's why we keep hearing the same stuff over and over again. We should have had a Triple A station years ago but if there's no guarantee of success, it won't happen.

Triple A would get about 1.1 share in Toronto.  It's  middle to old aged white guy music and Toronto is a very diverse city.

March 29, 2021 9:31 pm  #16

Radiowiz wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

That's exactly it. 

In the off-chance 102.1 goes country, you've got your originating station and your repeater backwards.

March 29, 2021 10:18 pm  #17

Prod Guy wrote:

Triple A would get about 1.1 share in Toronto.  It's  middle to old aged white guy music and Toronto is a very diverse city.

I’m less pessimistic with Triple-A. It tends to do well in markets that had a heritage modern rock station.

CBC had a great opportunity with Radio 2, but seem forever beholden to those elderly classical music fans, ending up in a programming mish-mash.

For a comparable market, I look at Chicago. Comparable in size and demos to Toronto. Entercom has a Triple-A station there that pulled a 3.8 in the most recent PPM.

March 29, 2021 10:44 pm  #18

Holliday wrote:

For a comparable market, I look at Chicago. Comparable in size and demos to Toronto. Entercom has a Triple-A station there that pulled a 3.8 in the most recent PPM.

What happens when you add 35-40% Can Con to that though?  

March 29, 2021 11:09 pm  #19

Radiowiz wrote:

Holliday wrote:

Nothing....there are plenty of AAA Canadian artists...

March 29, 2021 11:53 pm  #20

paterson1 wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Holliday wrote:

Nothing....there are plenty of AAA Canadian artists...

How much Can Con is played already?  
4 out of 10 songs would have to be changed to fill Canadian content...or not.
How many Canadian songs (out of ten, to simplify the point) does the American station already play?
(by choice, most likely because it's a good song and fits the format well)

Hot Talk gets the advantage of NO Can Con regs, unless we're talking about the bumpers, and I don't think that counts.

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 30, 2021 12:26 am)

March 30, 2021 12:45 am  #21

AAA formats include album cuts from mainstream artists and alternative artists.  Why does a Canadian AAA station automatically need to be the same as an American one?  Would it be that way in Britain or Australia?  Not likely.

There are plenty of popular Canadian alternative artists and album cuts for this type of format.  CBC 2 is doing something similar to AAA (other than the classical block mornings), and they play 80-100% cancon.   In Vancouver CBC 2 has a 5.2% share and 3.8% in Calgary, 2.5% in Toronto. 

So a commercial AAA station playing 35 or 40% cancon is not an issue.  The only issue is that Toronto broadcasters are adverse to taking chances and not very inventive.  Any AAA station here will never be exactly as in the US and it shouldn't be.  There are tons of great alternative cancon artists and material that would fit the format perfectly, and music that is rarely heard now.   Would the station find the audience is another matter, and CBC 2 which isn't promoted much, has been gaining popularity and could be a bit of a problem for a commercial outlet. 

And you will likely find a station with this format or a variation of it in another market before Toronto.  Likely we have some similar already with university/college radio but these don't show up on NUMERIS.

March 30, 2021 10:21 am  #22

Holliday wrote:

Prod Guy wrote:

I’m less pessimistic with Triple-A. It tends to do well in markets that had a heritage modern rock station.

CBC had a great opportunity with Radio 2, but seem forever beholden to those elderly classical music fans, ending up in a programming mish-mash.

In the latest ratings for Vancouver, Pattison Radio's The Peak (CKPK) which has an AAA format also had a 3.8% share.  Not bad when you consider that CBC 2 had 5.2%. So this format does well on the coast. 

March 30, 2021 1:49 pm  #23

paterson1 wrote:

Holliday wrote:

Prod Guy wrote:

In the latest ratings for Vancouver, Pattison Radio's The Peak (CKPK) which has an AAA format also had a 3.8% share.  Not bad when you consider that CBC 2 had 5.2%. So this format does well on the coast. 

The Peak in Vancouver is no longer triple A. but simply alternative. Van had two commercial AAA stations for a while but no more.

Also I noticed that CBC music has trended a lot more pop recently and is falling almost out of triple A at least during the morning drive.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/