sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 20, 2021 9:38 pm  #1

Maclean's Magazine, 1963: Dave Mickie On CKEY Gets A Mixed Review

Just minutes after I posted the story on Wayne & Shuster, I found this one - a 1963 review in Maclean's, if you can call it that, of a relative newcomer to Toronto radio on CKEY named Dave Mickie. Of course, we all know Mr. Marsden by another name today and he remains one of the greats. Not that writer Harry Bruce thought so all those years ago.

From the article:

"...on the air he’s a gibbering, yelping caricature of the things parents often find most insufferable in their own teenage children. Mickie is twenty-two and, to hear CKEY tell it, he’s also the hottest broadcasting discovery since transistor radios.

"For four hours a night Mickie cackles and squeals his way in and around rock ’n’ roll records. The noises he makes — something like the birdcalls that frighten the beautiful white lady in old jungle movies — twist his face, jerk him sideways and pluck him out of his chair.

"He drinks a couple of quarts of lemonade each night but they don’t help much; by the time he signs off he has a bad headache and his voice sounds as if some mad father has broken into the studio and drawn a garden rake across the inside of his throat."

Maclean's Magazine on CKEY's Dave Mickie Show, June 15, 1963 

March 20, 2021 10:39 pm  #2

Re: Maclean's Magazine, 1963: Dave Mickie On CKEY Gets A Mixed Review

I like to remind David that I couldn't wait to get; from Oshawa  to the C.N.E. to see him; in his gold lamé jacket.  He is a true Radio Legend in this country!!!  Good health to you my old friend and very proud to say so.

March 20, 2021 11:11 pm  #3

Re: Maclean's Magazine, 1963: Dave Mickie On CKEY Gets A Mixed Review

Oh man, if that guy wrote in pre-historic times, we'd have never invented the wheel. David has been a stand out with his finger on the pulse of what the audience loves and adores...it goes to show you, you cannot listen to your critics and stop doing what you love, or you'll be sunk, keep stretching in spite of what the naysayers write or say!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...