sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 18, 2021 10:28 am  #1

Buffalo's Channel 49 Is Gone For Antenna Users. Time To Rescan

As promised, WNYO Channel 49 appears to have converted to ATSC 3.0 on Thursday, a plan confirmed last month.

I tuned in the channel this morning and found the main channel and two of its subcarriers - Comet and GetTV - are both gone. But for some reason, the all-sports Stadium channel on 49.2 is still there in the old system. 

I subsequently rescanned all the other Buffalo stations that are participating and helping to host the lost subcarriers - the so-called "five year night light" - and my DVR told me at least one new station was found on each one. Yet when I went to check to see what the newcomers were, none of them showed up. 

Not sure what's going on, but it appears at this point in the day, at least, the "night light" hasn't been lit. 

At least not for me. Some on the AVS Forum are reporting they've seen the new channels, but are having issues with some of the ATSC 1.0 stations that are hosting them. Very bizarre. 

Worth repeating what tvguy had to tell us in a previous thread on this topic:

tvguy wrote:

Here is where the subcarriers will go, according to an FCC filing by WNYO in the last few days: (source AVS Forum - Buffalo OTA)

"WNYO made their next gen filing, these will be their ATSC 1.0 simulcasts:
49.1 MyNetworkTV will be on WUTV's RF 32 signal
49.2 Stadium will be on WKBW's RF 34 signal
49.3 Comet will be on WGRZ's RF 33 signal
49.4 GetTV will be on WNLO's RF 36 signal

In exchange, they (or their sister stations) will get a NextGen simulcast on WNYO's RF 16 signal"

According to a further post on AVS, other stations will transition to 3.0 on WNYO's Ch. 16 ATSC 3.0 transmitter:
"So far with the filings it is confirm that WNYO will host ATSC 3.0 and WUTV and WKBW will be ATSC 3.0 streams on WNYO, I suspect since WGRZ and WNLO are carrying WNYO subchannels they will also have streams on WNYO, but so far they have not filed, (at least not as of this morning) with the the FCC. And in the STA WNYO filed they will not be streaming any of their current subchannels in ATSC 3.0 format"

March 18, 2021 10:34 am  #2

Re: Buffalo's Channel 49 Is Gone For Antenna Users. Time To Rescan

Another weird thing, unrelated to the other change. On Ion's Channel 51, the subcarrier on 51.2 is listed in the guide as "Channel is no longer broadcasting." Yet Court TV is there, despite that announcement. Perhaps it's just my DVR, which relies on a strange guide that is sometimes unreliable.

Still, it's only the morning and it's already been an interesting day for antenna users. 

March 18, 2021 11:01 am  #3

Whole thing is a mess.  Im also seeing so many versions of Grit and Get-tv being broadcasted. 

March 18, 2021 11:10 am  #4

Where? On what channels? So far, I'm not seeing anything.

March 18, 2021 11:19 am  #5

https://mytvbuffalo.com/entertainment/wnyo-rescan-for-atsc-30-conversion

The flip only happened at 10am, so I would assume you need to rescan now...    Normally 10 min after the posted time.   There is loads of moving parts here, and many transmitter changes. 

March 18, 2021 11:30 am  #6

I've done several rescans on the individual stations and while my DVR is finding new channels, it's not showing them to me. I hope it doesn't necessitate a total rescan, because I'd rather not wipe out all my settings. Manual rescans have always worked for me before. I will try again later. 

March 18, 2021 11:40 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I've done several rescans on the individual stations and while my DVR is finding new channels, it's not showing them to me. I hope it doesn't necessitate a total rescan, because I'd rather not wipe out all my settings. Manual rescans have always worked for me before. I will try again later. 

Keep in mind, they may virtually be making ASTC 1 .0  WNYO appear as 49.1, even though it's technically on Fox 29's transmitter.    Assuming you have checked the normal channel numbers on your tv?

March 18, 2021 11:53 am  #8

Tardis wrote:

I am receiving WNYO in ATSC 3.0 but not strong enough to actually view.. 

I can only assume like any new transmitter, engineers will not take it to full power until they check everything top to bottom.    Most of us will be on the distant part of the full power signal, so until they are at full power, it's not likely something we will get well.    Time will tell.

As for ASTC1.0, it's nothing more than a setting change on current transmitters and other than a change in setup, if you get the host signal, you should get all subchannels including WNYO

Last edited by radiokid (March 18, 2021 11:57 am)

March 18, 2021 2:05 pm  #9

North Toronto right now...getting all the 49.x channels on their new 5 year frequency hosts. 49.3 was missing for a little bit but finally appeared on WGRZ's frequency earlier this morning.

March 18, 2021 3:43 pm  #10

Whitby.. all the 49's here.  It's flaky sometimes, but full signal strength for now

March 18, 2021 5:13 pm  #11

Well, it took multiple rescans of all the channels between 31-36, but the "night light" has finally kicked in here in northern North York. Not sure why it took so long, but it's nice to have those channels back. 

Still, I have to wonder - why did I spend so much time working on pulling in stations I almost never watch? 

(And the answer is that if the signal is there, I want to be able to pull it in. And besides, Comet has some OK old sci fi shows.)

March 19, 2021 10:39 am  #12

No changes here in central area of Etobicoke.  Warmer nights are helping stuff like CIII-Paris come in decently also. 

Last edited by markow202 (March 19, 2021 10:40 am)

March 21, 2021 7:32 pm  #13

I don't think I realized just how many American markets have converted over to ATSC 3.0. I remember Seattle. And then Buffalo got into the mix. But there are a lot more of them making the leap before anyone can really see them. 

Once again, I find myself wondering: who, exactly, asked for this? Certainly not most viewers.  

ATSC 3.0 Deployments: Where and When Will NextGen TV be Available?

March 21, 2021 8:09 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

Once again, I find myself wondering: who, exactly, asked for this? Certainly not most viewers.

It's a chicken & egg scenario.  Broadcasters like Sinclair are trying to build demand for ATSC3.  They need to get transmissions going so the Consumer Electronics Manufacturers have incentive to add ATSC3 tuners in their products.  Sinclair believes ATSC3 will be the "next big thing" that will keep OTA transmission alive.

Their real business model is possibly not in traditional TV broadcast but rather other data capabilities ATSC3 provides.

March 21, 2021 9:07 pm  #15

In Phase wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

It's a chicken & egg scenario.  Broadcasters like Sinclair are trying to build demand for ATSC3.  They need to get transmissions going so the Consumer Electronics Manufacturers have incentive to add ATSC3 tuners in their products.  Sinclair believes ATSC3 will be the "next big thing" that will keep OTA transmission alive.

Their real business model is possibly not in traditional TV broadcast but rather other data capabilities ATSC3 provides. 

I get it. It's an "if you build it, they will come" scenario. But of course, that's not quite true. Some people didn't upgrade to an HDTV in the early days until they simply couldn't get any other channels and had no choice. 

According a semi-hidden press release on the site you linked to above:

"NEXTGEN TV can support a wide range of features that are currently in development and are designed to enable viewers to immerse themselves in stunning video with brilliant color, sharper images and deeper contrast.

"NEXTGEN TV’s evolution will create a whole new dimension to TV viewing, with brilliant video and new Voice+ dialogue enhancement. Viewers will feel the power of movie theater-quality sound, delivering every voice clearly and offering consistent volume across channels.

"NEXTGEN TV will also be enhanced with Internet content, providing a wealth of additional information so that viewers can get the most value out of live sports, live news, and live events in real time. It will also offer new and improved ways for broadcasters to reach viewers with advanced emergency alerts."

All well and good in theory, but again I ask, "who (besides the TV companies, the advertisers and the set makers) really needs this?" There are enough distractions already on a regular TV show now (floating promos that obscure the screen, forced logo-filled mini-commercials while the show is in progress, obvious product placement, etc. etc. etc.) I don't need to be able to buy the lamp I'm looking at in "This Is Us" while the show's on the air. 

I don't want to be bugged to buy concert tickets or his new album if I'm watching The Weeknd perform. (Which I probably wouldn't be.)

I don't need advertisers sending spots tailored for me, because they know my demographics. 

I don't necessarily want "more information" on the history of the U.S. Congress because they're doing a report on a newscast about a motion that was tabled there three hours earlier that day. 

If this is the future of TV, give me back my analog black and white set and leave me in peace!     

March 21, 2021 10:01 pm  #16

RadioActive wrote:

"NEXTGEN TV can support a wide range of features that are currently in development and are designed to enable viewers to immerse themselves in stunning video with brilliant color, sharper images and deeper contrast. 

This is called High Dynamic Range (HDR) and while it is better, it won't make "Ellen" any more interesting.  Hockey Night in Canada (is that what they still call it?) might look better but it won't make the Leafs win the Stanley Cup!  I still enjoy Columbo in SD.

RadioActive wrote:

"NEXTGEN TV’s evolution will create a whole new dimension to TV viewing, with brilliant video and new Voice+ dialogue enhancement. Viewers will feel the power of movie theater-quality sound, delivering every voice clearly and offering consistent volume across channels. 

Yawn.  I have (had) 5.1 capability.  Don't use it.  Don't need Dolby Atmos.  Stereo is just fine thanks (mix down from 5.1).

RadioActive wrote:

"NEXTGEN TV will also be enhanced with Internet content, providing a wealth of additional information so that viewers can get the most value out of live sports, live news, and live events in real time. It will also offer new and improved ways for broadcasters to reach viewers with advanced emergency alerts." 

Yawn (again).  I already have all the above with my existing Internet connection and TV service.  I don't need OTA to get any of what they talk about.

RadioActive wrote:

I don't need advertisers sending spots tailored for me, because they know my demographics. 

If this is the future of TV, give me back my analog black and white set and leave me in peace! 

I'm with ya RA.  Unfortunately, advertising makes the world go round.  You and I are stuck with it.

March 22, 2021 7:03 pm  #17

Talk about strange bedfellows. All this sharing and moving around just resulted in something I never thought I'd see - a spot on WKBW-TV (Channel 7) telling viewers that if they wanted to see Court TV, they'd have to tune to Channel 4.4 on their sets. 

I could never imagine a time when one station would be advising those watching to go to a competitor for alternate programming. 

The future is here and it's very odd.

March 22, 2021 7:14 pm  #18

Speaking of over-hyped, check out this video for so-called "NextGen TV" as they try to explain it and sell it to consumers. A bit over the top, I think. 

NextGen TV Video

March 22, 2021 7:15 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

Talk about strange bedfellows. All this sharing and moving around just resulted in something I never thought I'd see - a spot on WKBW-TV (Channel 7) telling viewers that if they wanted to see Court TV, they'd have to tune to Channel 4.4 on their sets. 

I could never imagine a time when one station would be advising those watching to go to a competitor for alternate programming. 

The future is here and it's very odd.

Kind of an odd thing to take up space in their main feed to begin with. I'd imagine it confused more viewers than it helped.

March 22, 2021 7:25 pm  #20

I'm sure all five Court TV viewers appreciated the heads up!

March 22, 2021 7:38 pm  #21

ahem... all six

March 22, 2021 8:29 pm  #22

Would be interested if anyone here knows, but it seems to me, with my very limited time watching the sub-channels, that the ads are mostly national. So I'm guessing that the business model is that these sub-channel "networks" are merely buying their placement and then selling ads on the basis of "45 affiliates nation-wide" or something similar. So this spot on WKBW was to service a client.