sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 16, 2021 6:25 am  #1

Bob McCown, sounding like he hasn't missed a beat

I am wondering if anyone took time to listen to Bob McCown and John Shannon on Sauga 960 last night? I did and I was back on air.

He hasn't missed a beat and even used some of his old sayings like, "if if's and and's were candies and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas". John Morosi was guest and they talked baseball and the Blue Jays upcoming season. It was a fast hour and what I didn't realize is that he will be on each day Monday to Friday.

This has potential for sure. 

Good move Sauga 960...you really have stepped up to the plate.

If you listened in, what were your thoughts?

Will this change your listening habits a little?

Will you make the move up or down the dial?

Share away.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 16, 2021 1:52 pm  #2

Re: Bob McCown, sounding like he hasn't missed a beat

It's an airing of his Podcast.  He used to do them 3 times a week with varying lengths.  He has now gone to a five day schedule with a duration designed to fit the one hour slot.

They are posted early in the afternoon (I use his YouTube channel); and today's is now available.

I agree with MJ's take. Without the SN restrictions he is back to having a wide assortment of Canadian & American guests;  like the old PTS days.  Worth a listen if you were a fan of the old show.

https://youtu.be/oKXA2ym4rpY

Last edited by Media Observer (March 16, 2021 2:01 pm)

March 16, 2021 4:43 pm  #3

Here's a couple of  Bob McCown quotes.
Yeah very good move for Sauga 960 to bring on this dinosaur throwback.

[Andrew] Crystal made reference to my love for women’s curlers. Well it’s not true. Women’s curling as I have said on many, many occasions is dramatically inferior to men’s curling… That they don’t have a complete grasp of strategy is puzzling to me. But there must be something in the genes with that too. But I’ll watch women’s curling if there’s a good looking curler out there. Its as simple as that. It’s not about my competitive fires being ignited. These are entirely different fight [sic] fires that are being ignited when I watch women in sports.
And what is the compulsion with women’s volleyball? Have you actually watched women’s volleyball? I have never. I have never seen a women’s volleyball player that I would consider to be attractive. I’m not saying they’re all dogs… but it’s just not overwhelming, you know what I mean? Hockey you ain’t gonna watch cause you can’t see them. Soccer I’d never watch cause its soccer. And why would you watch an inferior product? You don’t get enough closeups in soccer anyway to tell whether they’re attractive or not. And that is the essence for all men. End of topic, end of discussion. Give me an attractive woman playing a sport and I’ll watch it.

March 16, 2021 7:57 pm  #4

'Media Nation' is fascinating. The host is so staggeringly dimwitted and vocally poor. It should be used as an example in schools.

June 21, 2021 11:58 am  #5

McCown's show is already off the air at Sauga 960. Just noticed he's gone from the schedule, but it looks like it happened a few weeks ago. The podcast still seems to be going, just not airing on the radio anymore.

June 21, 2021 2:25 pm  #6

The station's only explanation on the phone was that "he was only on a temporary contract and it ran out." Nothing more about when it happened or whether he'll ever be back (unlikely.)

For the moment, his picture is still on the staff website, but here's the rather bizarre page you get when you click on it.

Bob McCown page at Sauga 960

June 21, 2021 10:21 pm  #7

The station was simply airing his podcast.  Knowing Bob's on air persona, if it created any extra work without generating money for him he wouldn't be interested in continuing it.